Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you buy haggis in Limerick?

• 04-10-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Might be a long shot, but does anyone know anywhere you can get a haggis in Limerick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Garret's butchers might do it? I'd love to know myself. Only had it once, and it was yum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

seachto7 wrote: »
    Garret's butchers might do it? I'd love to know myself. Only had it once, and it was yum
    If Garret doesn't have it i'm pretty sure he'll get it for you.

I've asked him for speciality meats before and he's ordered them in for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

Thanks Ill try him tomorrow so !

I was in Scotland over the weekend and tried haggis for the first time and was shocked how lovely it was!

Craving it big time! :D

Any further suggestions would be great too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

how do you cook haggis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

SoCo2009 wrote: »
    Any further suggestions would be great too
    Have you gone in to any butchers and asked them?

seachto7 wrote: »
    how do you cook haggis?

This might help :)

http://craftbutchers.co.uk/index.php?ID=48

Its lovely deep fried too! Although prob contains about two days worth of calories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Thanks Ill try him tomorrow so !

I was in Scotland over the weekend and tried haggis for the first time and was shocked how lovely it was!

Craving it big time! :D

Hi Soco,

Did you ever find this?
    I am looking for this or for sheep pudding if they can be had.

Thanks
    irish

Hi Soco,

Did you ever find this?

Thanks
    irish

Not in Limerick I'm afraid!

But I recently bought one in Marks & Spencers in Dublin (Jervis) if that is any help to you? :) Twas lovely too I must say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Hi Soco,

Did you ever find this?

Thanks
    irish

As in packet and tripe? You can get this in Jim Flavins Butcher, which is next to Chawkes on the Dublin Road.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks!

cee_jay wrote: »
    As in packet and tripe? You can get this in Jim Flavins Butcher, which is next to Chawkes on the Dublin Road.

Is haggis the same thing as packet and tripe? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Is haggis the same thing as packet and tripe? :eek:

No :)

Haggis is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally encased in the animal's stomach and simmered for approximately three hours. Most modern commercial haggis is prepared in a sausage casing rather than an actual stomach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis

Wild Haggis looks like this: http://lochgelly.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/haggis2.jpg ;-)

Packet and Tripe is a real Limerick city dish. Tripe is the lining of the cow's stomach (whitish), and packet (blue-blackish) is a sort of pigs blood pudding. It is very easily digested.

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~ivan/packet_and_tripe.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

l was in Edinburgh few weeks ago...brought some back with me must try it yet! whats to best way to cook it? :)

The haggis is already cooked and just needs some careful re-heating until it is piping hot. It may seem obvious, but it is essential to defrost before cooking if the haggis hasn't been bought fresh.

Pan method
    1. Bring a pan of water to the boil.
    2. Place the haggis in the pan and turn the heat down immediately. The water should only simmer, not boil as this may burst the case'¦resulting in a culinary disaster and a 'murdert haggis'. Some haggis come in a 'cook-in bag' to avoid this problem ' otherwise wrapping it in foil would help to protect the contents. The length of time it should be gently poached depends on the size of your haggis. As a guide, a 1kg haggis takes around 75 mins.

Oven
    1. Remove outer plastic bag and wrap in aluminium foil.
    2. Place in a casserole dish with a little water and cook in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C (Gas Mark 6) for around an hour, depending on the size of your haggis. To be on the safe side, test with a cooking thermometer to a minimum of 63 degrees Centigrade.

Microwave
    1. Remove outer bag and skin.
    2. Cut into evenly-sized slices and heat on medium for around eight minutes ' or as instructed on the haggis.
    3. Halfway through cooking, mash with a fork to ensure an even temperature throughout.

*Dont forget to do your Neeps and Tatties to go with it ;)*

Chucken wrote: »
    The haggis is already cooked and just needs some careful re-heating until it is piping hot. It may seem obvious, but it is essential to defrost before cooking if the haggis hasn't been bought fresh.

Pan method
    1. Bring a pan of water to the boil.
    2. Place the haggis in the pan and turn the heat down immediately. The water should only simmer, not boil as this may burst the case'¦resulting in a culinary disaster and a 'murdert haggis'. Some haggis come in a 'cook-in bag' to avoid this problem ' otherwise wrapping it in foil would help to protect the contents. The length of time it should be gently poached depends on the size of your haggis. As a guide, a 1kg haggis takes around 75 mins.

Oven
    1. Remove outer plastic bag and wrap in aluminium foil.
    2. Place in a casserole dish with a little water and cook in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C (Gas Mark 6) for around an hour, depending on the size of your haggis. To be on the safe side, test with a cooking thermometer to a minimum of 63 degrees Centigrade.

Microwave
    1. Remove outer bag and skin.
    2. Cut into evenly-sized slices and heat on medium for around eight minutes ' or as instructed on the haggis.
    3. Halfway through cooking, mash with a fork to ensure an even temperature throughout.

*Dont forget to do your Neeps and Tatties to go with it ;)*

for the oven method does the water have to be hot or cold?

ha iv been advised about the neeps & tatties a few times!

Cold water would be fine :) It doesnt matter really as it will be in the oven for a hour.

Chucken wrote: »
    Cold water would be fine :) It doesnt matter really as it will be in the oven for a hour.

thanking you :)

Raging this can't be got in Limerick! Sounds lovely!

was gonna cook my haggis this week....raging my mother gave it away !! so pissed off >:(

• Advertisement

I went to get the one in marks and Spenser's but it is pork. We don't eat pork.anyone know if this one is lamb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

Awesome. I am totally gonna buy loads of it. Had some in October and though it was lovely.

Anyone got it yet? Is it pork or lamb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

off track a bit but bobby byrnes are having a robert burns night on 24th january were hagis will be on the menu read about it in limerick post !

None in stock a any of the two aldis

I'm sure its well sold out today. As the ad says.. "when its gone, its gone"

Ya? So they don't normally stock anymore?

Advertisement