Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable material for a baseboard

Options
  • 04-10-2011 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Another noob enquiry.

The Hornby manual recommends using Sundeala when constructing a baseboard.

Does anyone in this forum have experience of (a) using Sundeala, (b) sourcing this material in Ireland or elsewhere, and/or (c) using another material?

I understand Sundeala's main advantage is the ease of inserting and removing pins, as well as being light and easy to cut/handle etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

do not use it. A read of the railway forums out there will generally advise against it as being to soft and liable to warping etc.

I'm currently in the process of building my own boards. Have gone for 12mm ply supported by a frame of 2x3 inch timber, a number of poster recommended it as the best option.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Be aware that MDF looks like a good alternative, but is not great for your health when you go cutting it (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/1997/sep/21/antonybarnett.theobserver).

Ply is your best bet. I used 9mm with a sub frame (45mm x 19mm I think) and it's rock solid. If you have it in a reasonably warm & dry environment then you won't need to seal the boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Hornby seem to recommend pinning the track. Also, since my son is on the young side and has yet to learn proper handling of his set, I want the track to remain in place. We've already had an incident or two with fishplates.

IYO is pinning necessary or desirable, and if so how to keep the track in place on plywood? I'm assuming that removal of the pins/repositioning of the track may be necessary from time to time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If it's permanent than pinning it in place is probably a wise idea, stops tracks coming apart and derailing your trains. Another option is to use something like Copydex glue (get it cheaper in Woodies) and and fix the track that way. Perhaps a diluted glue to fix "temporarily" if you're sure it will be pulled up again fairly soon?

Track pins into ply should be fine. That's my plan anyway but glued with ballast also, might not be a great idea for kids though (the ballasting)

if you plan on changing the track layout it makes more sense than glueing it down...

• Advertisement

Went for the 9mm MDF option today (cost and convenience).

1800 x 1200 suddenly looks a whole lot bigger!

Now considering a hinged design to make under-bed storage easier, though I'm not sure what effect that might have on track laying. I hope the little blighter appreciates all this effort in due course...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Went for the 9mm MDF option today (cost and convenience).

1800 x 1200 suddenly looks a whole lot bigger!

Now considering a hinged design to make under-bed storage easier, though I'm not sure what effect that might have on track laying. I hope the little blighter appreciates all this effort in due course...

would you mind telling me the differences in prices ? I've just setup a new layout and would also like to put it on a board.

In B&Q, IIRC, 9mm plywood around €28, MDF about a tenner less for the same size sheet (2240mm, I think).

Cutting was free.

Here's mine for samples:

2011-10-04162440.jpg
    2011-10-10124748.jpg
    2011-10-10190733.jpg

12mm ply on a frame of 2x3 inch timber.

Advertisement