Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 week old pup, barking issue

• 04-10-2011 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Me again, I just love this place !

Quick question really, Jay is 12 weeks old nearly 13 and any-time we leave him alone by himself not even a minute would past before he starts barking. The barking would be non stop until someone gose backing into the room he is in.

Is this normal?
    Any suggestions ?

He usually stays in my Dads room, but me da is starting to give out about him for some reason I have no idea. I'm up early most mornings since I got him so theres no point in him staying with me as he will have the house up at 5 or 6 am with the barking.

Ideally I would like for him to stay down stairs in the sitting room by himself and not bark.

I have tried hotwater bottles under his blanket and theres a ticking clock in the room. But it dose not work and he just barks and howls until he gets someone into the room.

I don't have a problem with him barking or staying in my room, but it's my dad who is making an issue out of this and too make things worse by the looks of it the dog has boned better with my father and sees him as pack leader, so it's even harder for getting a word in with my dog and hard to get a word in with my dad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

The toy that u stuff food into their called kongs are great my dog suffers from separation anxiety and the Kong keeps her occupied for ages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

phelo2121 wrote: »
    The toy that u stuff food into their called kongs are great my dog suffers from separation anxiety and the Kong keeps her occupied for ages!

kongs might try that , but I have a feeling he wouldn't really care. All he cares about is getting out of that room.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

msg11 wrote: »
    phelo2121 wrote: »

kongs might try that , but I have a feeling he wouldn't really care. All he cares about is getting out of that room.
    Try breaking the routine as well by going in and out and put him in for very short periods so that when he goes in he doesn't know how long he's there for and put little bit of peanut butter in Kong first few times dogs love the stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I wouldn't be trying to use 'anti barking' devices on such a young pup, they're still only learning and it's just down to discipline and teaching.

With regards to trying to get the pup to stay downstairs, he knows he's been allowed stay up in the room with your dad before, so why not now (he would think). It's hard to undo the 'letting them sleep in your room' habit. If he sleeps downstairs you can let him out at 5 or 6 in the morning to do his business and that may help him settle again.

I know others advocate crate training which might be beneficial to you, however I am not experienced with that so I can't advise. I think it could be an option though to help him sleep downstairs at night time.

With the barking, is he barking for attention do you think? If so, it might just be part case of being patient with him. Not going in as soon as he barks because then barking=someone coming into me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

My sister had a similiar problem with her puppy ( lhasa aspo) the barking was excessive and persistant no toys kongs or anything would settle him,

She decided to crate train him and it worked eventually ( for a week she had to put the time in to settle him in the crate). After a walk or playtime she placed his bed in the crate and he went in their to snooze ahe would close the door of the crate and walk in & out of the room. He gradually stayed in it longer & longer at night she had to get up and let him out to use himself and put him back in the crate. she said he barked a lot the first night but he slept through on the third night. and he still sleeps in the crate now. He has a soft teddy in it with him for comfort.

Puppies do get seperation anxiety, you must tire them out with play walks toys etc, feed them well have a routine allow them out to use themselves and settle them in a comfy area where they will sleep. Sometimes leaving a radio on for sound helps settle them.

Breaking his routine may be hard and he is going to bark until he settles, so you will have to be persistant. I defo wouldnt be using an anti bark collar or anything like that at his age.

Advertisement