Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHL: 2011-2012 Season Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Twas a good night alright.

Fancy anything tonight Joe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Fancy anything tonight Joe?

Chinese and a few beers! Haven't looked into the games yet, will take a look now.

Going to go with Chicago -1.5 at 6/4, pretty impressive at home so far this season. Not overly confident on it but we'll see how it goes.

Picked Chicago myself in regular time at 1.94 on Betfair, there 1-0 up at the moment.

• Advertisement

Picked Chicago myself in regular time at 1.94 on Betfair, there 1-0 up at the moment.

:(

Ah well, can't win 'em all.

Definite contender for goal of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Another shut-out from Miller tonight would be just swell :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

what do you guys make of Ron Wilson's sacking from the Toronto Maple Leafs and his replacement, randy carlyle?

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    what do you guys make of Ron Wilson's sacking from the Toronto Maple Leafs and his replacement, randy carlyle?

Had to be done, I guess. Wilson had missed out on the playoffs for three straight years and was looking like doing the same again this year. They made little progress whilst he was at the helm. This season they started off pretty well but ten defeats in February were the nails in the coffin.

As for Carlyle, he had a good record with the Ducks and made the playoffs in all bar one season whilst there (winning the Cup once), so it will be interesting to see how he gets on with a bigger challenge. I'm sure he has won over a few fans already by winning in Montreal in his first game in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Habs were poison last night!

eire1 wrote: »
    Habs were poison last night!

Was there any coverage on the TV of the guy who fell from the second tier in the stadium? Apparently he landed on somebody below... ouch!

Both were ok though.

I heard about that, no footage anywhere as far as I know. Thankfully both parties were ok, according to the Habs website.

Crosby cleared for contact, could return to the lineup this week...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=620790

News like this makes me more nervous than excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

this is looking like the first season that habs won't be hitting the post season since i started following hockey.. guess it had to come around sometime... i anticipate a shake up in the off season

this is looking like the first season that habs won't be hitting the post season since i started following hockey.. guess it had to come around sometime... i anticipate a shake up in the off season

Yeah, they've just been awful this year.
    Fingers crossed, there's several players that I just don't rate at all. We'll see what happens with Cunneyworth too.

That's good news about Crosby being cleared for contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Just back from the Rangers v Islanders game. OT win for the Rangers on the power play by Gaborik. The Islanders kept sneaking ahead and I feared that they would sneak it in regular time.

Was sitting in an area surrounded by season ticket holders and they are worried about the lack of SOGs by the Rangers, which was cronic in the first period tonight and also the prospect of Crosby returning on Thursday night. Most felt that he would be gone again after one good "surprise" hit though. With or without Crosby, the Pens are gonna cause real problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

COYW wrote: »
    Just back from the Rangers v Islanders game. OT win for the Rangers on the power play by Gaborik. The Islanders kept sneaking ahead and I feared that they would sneak it in regular time.

Was sitting in an area surrounded by season ticket holders and they are worried about the lack of SOGs by the Rangers, which was cronic in the first period tonight and also the prospect of Crosby returning on Thursday night. Most felt that he would be gone again after one good "surprise" hit though. With or without Crosby, the Pens are gonna cause real problems.

If only knew you were going. Looking at getting a rangers jersey. Would of sent you the money to buy it for me.

Have you gone to the nhl store yet

Is there any plans for a meet up for the stanley finals. Streams are so bad this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have scored a trip to Philly at the end of the month so should be good to watch a couple of games verses the Habs and Lightning. Never been to Philly before so not sure on ticket situation just yet.

cena wrote: »
    If only knew you were going. Looking at getting a rangers jersey. Would of sent you the money to buy it for me.

Have you gone to the nhl store yet

Was there on Sunday and everything there is seriously overpriced. Didn't buy anything myself.
    krissovo wrote: »
    I have scored a trip to Philly at the end of the month so should be good to watch a couple of games verses the Habs and Lightning. Never been to Philly before so not sure on ticket situation just yet.

Was in Philly yesteday myself, day trip though. You can get tickets for those games from the flyers site. Click on the 'Schedule' tab and you will see the tickets link beside each game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

Was there on Sunday and everything there is seriously overpriced. Didn't buy anything

I thought the prices where great. Than again we were there for thanksgiving, black Friday so things were on sale.

Crosby is definitely back in for the game on Thursday. Gonna be great to see him play in the flesh but I fear the worst from a Rangers fan's perspective. Paid that bit extra for my Pens ticket. Looks like that was a good call.

Crosby is definitely back in for the game on Thursday. Gonna be great to see him play in the flesh but I fear the worst from a Rangers fan's perspective. Paid that bit extra for my Pens ticket. Looks like that was a good call.

I'll be watching in nervous anticipation.

A couple of observations/comments from the past few weeks that I haven't had time to post:

Boston Bruins Decline

My oh my, where to start? Defeats in 7 of their last 10 now and a 6-2 defeat tonight, and in those seven defeats they've conceded a pretty un-Boston-like 29 goals (21 of which are in their last four games). It all started with the injury to Rask and the complete mismanaging of the situation. To start 38 year old Tim Thomas in nine straight games was tantamount to suicide, especially when you consider he started six games in eight days, two of which were back-to-back weekend matinee's in which he conceded nine goals. Another heavy defeat tonight at Florida and morale must be at a season-low by now. This needs to stop before the playoffs or the Bruins can kiss their post season chances goodbye. Even their chances of topping the Northeast are pretty ropey at this point, with Ottawa on a (relative) charge.

Pittsburgh Penguins surge

They always had it in them, but with the returns of Letang (+5 tonight, on ice for all goals for) and Crosby (+3 tonight) they have to be considered as serious contenders for the cup again. Ten straight wins now have the Penguins on the charge for the top of the east, and after beating the Rangers who are top for the past 79 days, I won't be betting against them. Watch this space.

Toronto

All hope of a complete turnaround was short-lived as the Randy Carlyle era got off to a misleading start with a win over Montreal at the beginning of the month. Five straight subsequent defeats meant it was business as usual for the Leafs, who are now completely out of the playoff picture and surely looking towards next season at this point. An impressive win tonight against Tampa gives signs of what the Leafs can do, but reinforcements are surely necessary.

Collective Bargaining Agreement

Possibly worrying times ahead, with the cancellation of the NHL Premiere games in Europe potentially signalling trouble on the horizon. Losing another season so soon after the 2004-2005 lockout would be disastrous for the sport and the league, and all parties should be striving to avoid that outcome at all costs. If only it were that simple...

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

Pittsburgh Penguins surge

They always had it in them, but with the returns of Letang (+5 tonight, on ice for all goals for) and Crosby (+3 tonight) they have to be considered as serious contenders for the cup again. Ten straight wins now have the Penguins on the charge for the top of the east, and after beating the Rangers who are top for the past 79 days, I won't be betting against them. Watch this space.

Thought the Pens were brilliant the other night. They dominated the game from start to finish. Still not sure about Crosby when it comes to the intensity of the post season. I do not remember him taking one hit the other night. Letang was awesome from start to finish. On current form, the Pens are my shout for the cup.

The Rangers have made good progress this season. At the start of the year, I stated that I would be happy if we made the post season with a bit to spare and the team has surpassed that mark. Teams with a strong forecheck, Pens/Canucks will always cause us serious problems. Torts needs to release the shackles on the Rangers forecheck. Too few SOGs.

Thought the Pens were brilliant the other night. They dominated the game from start to finish. Still not sure about Crosby when it comes to the intensity of the post season. I do not remember him taking one hit the other night. Letang was awesome from start to finish. On current form, the Pens are my shout for the cup.

The Rangers have made good progress this season. At the start of the year, I stated that I would be happy if we made the post season with a bit to spare and the team has surpassed that mark. Teams with a strong forecheck, Pens/Canucks will always cause us serious problems. Torts needs to release the shackles on the Rangers forecheck. Too few SOGs.

Crosby in the post-season will always be a worry, but if he is going to come back it has to be done. He didn't take any hits of note against the Rangers. He still had two assists, and two more against the Devils tonight. And they weren't just assists tonight, they were pin-point accurate passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Getting sent to Pittsburgh for a couple of weeks with work.....Result or what!

3 potential games to watch:D Only issue is that they are playing the less exciting teams Predators, Devils and Islanders:(

Lundqvist just made the pad save of the year against Buffalo. Will post a video later.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Silver Clown

Montreal all over Ottawa tonight, not even 10 mins into the first period and they lead 4-0. Eric Cole got a hat trick within 6 minutes.

• Advertisement

Montreal all over Ottawa tonight, not even 10 mins into the first period and they lead 4-0. Eric Cole got a hat trick within 6 minutes.

Was keeping an eye on that one as well, have Subban in my fantasy team. 2 assists so far.

Advertisement