Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHL: 2011-2012 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Coeus wrote: »
    Is that normal for hockey on thanksgiving? I wouldn't have thought they cared in Canada and had a hockey night anyway...

They only had 1 game last year. And Canadian thanksgiving is earlier in November but they play games on it, so I'm not sure why not tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    First night in nearly 7 weeks with no NHL teams in action... What to do?

I went to bed at the same time as my misses, unfortunately she has demanded I do it again tonight:(

krissovo wrote: »
    I went to bed at the same time as my misses, unfortunately she has demanded I do it again tonight:(

Luckily enough the Wings-Bruins is at 6pm, followed by a choice of two games at 8pm and three at 9pm...

:)

Sweet, I will catch the Bruins game before she is home from work. Then I can give her some quality time and get back in the good books :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

he had the puck covered!!!!

• Advertisement

The Penguins do seem to get the rub of the green when it comes to officials decisions, but I love seeing the Pens get one up on Price after the pose he struck after winning a shootout against us earlier this year.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/7289699/washington-capitals-replace-bruce-boudreau-ex-team-captain-dale-hunter

The slumping Washington Capitals fired coach Bruce Boudreau on Monday, replacing him with former team captain Dale Hunter.

Boudreau paid the price for his club's downward spiral. Since starting the season 7-0-0, the Caps have gone 5-9-1 since -- including weekend losses to the New York Rangers and Buffalo Sabres.

Pens-Capitals tonight at midnight on Setanta Ireland (and HD for Coeus... :D).

The Crosby-Ovechkin "saga" continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Pens-Capitals tonight at midnight on Setanta Ireland (and HD for Coeus... :D).

The Crosby-Ovechkin "saga" continues.
    Damn why couldn't this game be on tommorrow or Saturday, I have to be up at 7 :(

Crosby will win that 'saga', it wont be long before he has outscored Alex on the season...

He has 35 points in 21 games against the Caps, Ovy has 33 points in 25 games. So he's certainly got the upper hand so far.

And as for this season, 11 points in 5 games for Crosby so far is a ridiculous total for someone coming back from any sort of injury. He'll have caught Ovechkin by Christmas if this continues.

• Advertisement

Tonights games...

00:00 SCH Toronto Maple Leafs - Boston Bruins
    00:00 SCH Pittsburgh Penguins - Carolina Hurricanes
    00:00 SCH New York Rangers - Tampa Bay Lightning
    00:00 SCH Ottawa Senators - Washington Capitals
    00:00 SCH New Jersey Devils - Winnipeg Jets
    01:00 SCH Buffalo Sabres - Nashville Predators
    01:00 SCH Philadelphia Flyers - Phoenix Coyotes
    01:00 SCH Chicago Blackhawks - St. Louis Blues
    01:30 SCH New York Islanders - Dallas Stars
    03:00 SCH Calgary Flames - Edmonton Oilers
    03:30 SCH Florida Panthers - San Jose Sharks

The Canadiens beat the Kings 2-1 earlier this evening.

Tonights games...

00:00 SCH Toronto Maple Leafs - Boston Bruins
    03:00 SCH Calgary Flames - Edmonton Oilers
    And these are on Setanta. Will try and get the Leafs - Bruins game in...

Coeus wrote: »
    And these are on Setanta. Will try and get the Leafs - Bruins game in...

Yeah I'm watching that one now.

Jordan Staal just picked up a really bad looking facial injury in the Pens game.

andrei kostitsyn's goal for habs was bloody brilliant

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Staying up tonight to watch Vancouver and Calgary :)

The Bruins Pens game tonight felt really like playoff hockey, and the Bruins are looking fantastic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

The board of governors just approved a new four conference format. Details to come.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Silver Clown

The board of governors just approved a new four conference format. Details to come.....

The NHL site is reporting that there will likely be four conferences looking as follows:

* New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Washington and Carolina

* Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay

* Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg

* Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado

That'd be an interesting lineup if it's confirmed. I think putting Winnipeg into the same conference as Edmonton / Calgary would make more sense though, the last time the Jets were around those teams had a nice rivalry going. It would be nice to see that rivalry start up again.

it'll be interesting to see how the schedule will shape up for this.. apparently the aim is for teams to meet every team from outside their conference at least once per season.. will be good to see more interaction with between current east/west conference teams.. such as classic rivalries like Wings and Habs or Boston/Chicago

• Advertisement

in other news.. It seems Andrei Markov will have to wait even longer for his comeback having undergone yet more surgery on his knee.. I hope the wait will be worth it.. I was pretty sore when Hamrlik was pushed out in favor of Markov after the solid season he put in last year in Markov's absence.. especially since the habs defensive ranks are fairly depleted for yet another season of injury woes..

The Bruins Pens game tonight felt really like playoff hockey, and the Bruins are looking fantastic.
    Agree on the Bruins, they dominated Toronto on Saturday night aswell...

The NHL site is reporting that there will likely be four conferences looking as follows:

* New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Washington and Carolina

* Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay

* Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg

* Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado

That'd be an interesting lineup if it's confirmed. I think putting Winnipeg into the same conference as Edmonton / Calgary would make more sense though, the last time the Jets were around those teams had a nice rivalry going. It would be nice to see that rivalry start up again.

Wasn't expecting something so radical but it seems like a good solution. All the biggest rivalries are kept alive and some interesting new ones are created also. Would like to see how it will work into the playoffs though...

Teams will play home-and-home series against all nonconference teams and five or six games in their conference. The top four teams in each conference will make the playoffs, with the first two rounds consisting of solely intraconference matchups. Bettman said he will consult with general managers in the spring before deciding whether to reseed the playoffs in the third round or to have predetermined matchups.

That should be interesting. Exciting times ahead I think!

I would've thought they'd mix up the Canadian teams a bit more too.. Winnepeg are the only Canadian team in their new conference
    Also, I'm wondering how the trophies will work.. will they introduce 2 new ones for the new conferences or stick with the Prince of Wales and the Clarence S. Campbell trophies, dividing them between the interconference playoff round winners?
    working it out on paper, i'm seeing 2 in conference playoff rounds followed by conference AvB CvD or some such round then the Stanley Cup Playoffs
    put in an image of my doodle

The NHL needed a bit of a shake up but I dont think they have it quite right. There are too many compromises to factor the time zones and I think the North East US teams have a major advantage with a significantly reduced travel over the course of the season.

I guess I am biased, with this setup I doubt Calagary will see a play off for a number of years:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭cena

The ducks are having a very bad season this year. Even one or two teams that aren't as good as them are beating.

Winnipeg are getting a hockey lesson from the Wings...

Great selection of games tonight. Gonna be a long night.... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Nice to see Louis Leblanc get his first NHL goal for the Habs last night

Advertisement