Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

book of kells

Options
  • 04-10-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

im living in dublin all my life and have never seen the book of kells

Im aware that its in trinity college but thats all i know,can i just walk in off the street and have a look at it? Is there any fee you must pay,is there anything else to see or is it just 1 book?Can you walk around parts of the college and have a look? would seem to me like goin in to look at 1 book would only take 5 mins,id hope theres more books or artwork or something so i could spend at least 20 mins in the place

Also do you just see 1 page of the book or is there multiple pages on view?can you take photos?

Id appreciate any info on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

You pay in, there's loads of other manuscripts to see, and the old library (which is part of the admission) is worth the entry price alone.. other than that, the grounds of Trinity are largely free to wander anyway.. Just enter via College Green and it will all unfold in front of you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

You've lived in Dublin your whole life and didn't know about Collins Barracks?

Source: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056410766

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Go see the book of kells quickly they are currently building another exhibit where trinity split the book of kells from the long room (the place with all the old manuscripts/books) so that you have to pay separately for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

D wrote: »
    trinity split the book of kells from the long room (the place with all the old manuscripts/books) so that you have to pay separately for both.

What scabs! No doubt the price has shot up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

You've lived in Dublin your whole life and didn't know about Collins Barracks?

Source: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056410766

ofc i always knew the barracks was there i just never was in there before,

why are you bringing that into this thread?it has no relevance what so ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

OP by the sound of your two threads you need to take this:

http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/cityTour.aspx

It will allow you to visit (or indeed get an awareness) of the wealth of places that are worth visiting in Dublin City.

You will be pleasantly surprised by the time you're done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

If you go in with a Trinity student do you get in for free?

If you go in with a Trinity student do you get in for free?

Not with student but with a staff member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There's a librarian up there who will show you around for a bottle of beer, if you can find him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

D wrote: »
    Not with student but with a staff member.

It actually is free with a student, and each student can get 3 people in with them for free.

• Advertisement

Didn't realise it included students, thanks for the info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Des wrote: »
    There's a librarian up there who will show you around for a bottle of beer, if you can find him.

You make the Librarian sound so cheap :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

CyberJuice wrote: »
    ofc i always knew the barracks was there i just never was in there before,

why are you bringing that into this thread?it has no relevance what so ever

A word in your ear!..

FreudianSlippers is a regular, helpful and superb contributor to this forum.

Just tone down that little bit of attitude eh ;)

Sorry, didn't mean it in a mean way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

Thanks for the replies guys,ill definately have to go in and check it out

Im sure im not the only person in dublin that has never seen the tourist type attractions ans great stuff we have on offer,was not bothered with any of that when i was younger but ill make up for it now

There is a beautiful Caravaggio which was presumed lost for years and years called "The Taking of Christ" which is spectacular and located in the National Gallery. Probably another one that's worth seeing!

Gileadi wrote: »
    It actually is free with a student, and each student can get 3 people in with them for free.

I should also mention its only Trinity students that get in free

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

Sorry D but can you back up your statement about the two seperate exhibitions with a link?
    It's the first time I hear about this now and it hasn't been mentioned before.

Thank you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

dubbie82 wrote: »
    Sorry D but can you back up your statement about the two seperate exhibitions with a link?
    It's the first time I hear about this now and it hasn't been mentioned before.

Thank you.

Hadn't heard it either, would be very surprised if it was true.

A link no, but I know a guy who works in the library. Do you know where the big brass ball is beside the library? They are going to enlarge that underground section and move the book of kells there. Or at least that is the plan.

One of the keepers had the idea as there and the other side of the library that leads down to the cricket pitch suffers from leaks so it already had a budget allocation so they just added to the budget. So instead of just fixing the leaks they will also expand and make a new exhibition.

I don't know the specifics sorry that I can't be more help.

• Advertisement

I would imagine that some form of planning permission would be needed as it would be changing the primary use of the space from a library (which is what I think it is now) to a tourist attraction that would have a fairly high attendance.

I doubt it's going to be happening too soon

Hey asked my friend for more info. Every evening the book is taken all the way downstairs to a vault which is at the corner nearest the library (big ball) so they are planning to deepen and widen that area, to make a new separate exhibit with its own entrance from the long room. However, this is still in the planning stage and will probably be complete in 10 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Advertisement