Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB Upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Is there any list of current NGB enabled exchanges available, from Eircom or anyone else? The list on the Digiweb website is over 2 months old at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

PeadarB wrote: »
    Ant : Mark, Have you any update at all re Phase 1 fibre rollout for Letterkenny or anywhere else. Peadar
    Any sign of the Phase 1 fibre roll-out? I'm sure most of the work must be completed at this stage. An update would be very helpful.
    Peadar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Hi All,

Don't normally use boards.ie but trying to find out if and when my local excahnge will be up upgraded to NGB is a bit of a challenge to say the least!

Can anyone advise when the Castleconnell, Co. Limerick exchange will be upgraded?

I work from home a lot and it's embarrasing how often I can't hear, speak or even dial into conference calls or live meetings because I can only get a max 6 Mb d/load and around 200-300Kb upload.

Also what about UPC, just checking their site and they say the following but impossible to tell what towns and villages etc will be inlcuded?
    On Demand Nationwide Rollout

Phase1 – Launch25th May 2012
    Dublin,Celbridge,Maynooth
    Phase 2Autumn 2012
    Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Galway, Swords,Malahide,Naas,Newbridge
    Phase 3Winter 2012
    Athlone, Carlow, Thurles,Clonmel,Navan, Kilkenny, Mullingar,Sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Any sign of the Phase 1 fibre roll-out? I'm sure most of the work must be completed at this stage. An update would be very helpful.
    Peadar :D

Hi Peadar,

Don't have a lot of public info regarding the fibre roll-out but the latest updates are here. This page will be updated with any news relating to fibre. You are right in saying that a big chink of the work for phase 1 is complete. Have sent off for a bit more detail so will post here if I get anything new sent back.

Regards

James

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Hi guys,

Any idea when the Castlemartyr (Co.Cork) exchange will be upgraded to NGB?

Cheers for any info.

OO7FITZY wrote: »
    Hi All,

Don't normally use boards.ie but trying to find out if and when my local excahnge will be up upgraded to NGB is a bit of a challenge to say the least!

Can anyone advise when the Castleconnell, Co. Limerick exchange will be upgraded?

I work from home a lot and it's embarrasing how often I can't hear, speak or even dial into conference calls or live meetings because I can only get a max 6 Mb d/load and around 200-300Kb upload.

Hi OO7FITZY,

Have checked the Castleconnell exchange and unfortunately there are no current plans up to the end of 2012 to introduce NGB there. This may be subject to change at any stage so check back with us in a couple of months and we may have better news for you. In the meantime, if you like you can DM me your landline number and I'll see if there's any room for improvement.

Regards

James

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Any idea when the Castlemartyr (Co.Cork) exchange will be upgraded to NGB?

Cheers for any info.

Hi <Ollie>,

Have checked this exchange on the upgrade list and again, is the same situation as the above post. List is subject to changes/updates but no indication of an upgrade at the moment. Check back with us later in the year and hopefully will have been added at that stage.

Regards

James

Hi Eircom James,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Why is there no visibility to the upgrading of my local exchange? I have been asking about this on and off for close to 3 years and nobody has access to the rollout plan.

According to the 2006 census, Castleconnell has a population of around 2600 people. It is around 10 miles from Limerick city and lies just off the old Limerick to Dublin N7 road and adjacent to the new M7 so I would imagine it would have been due an upgrade by now.

What are the selection criteria for exchange upgrades?

How do we make representations to have our exchange upgrade accelerated?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ngb rollout is over. list of exchanges here.

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/bundles/ngb/enabled.pdf

No list of Adsl2 'non ngb ' exchanges has been provided although one was promised months ago. They exist.

Many of the NGB exchanges on that list only supply adsl1 'up to' 8mbit packages.

• Advertisement

thx

Looks like I will just have to wait but it is totally unsatisfactory. I'm sure taxpayer’s money is being spent rolling out NGB and we have no idea what the selection criteria is and when the next schedule is due. Vodafone told me today Castleconnell is not on the list for 2012.
    I'm trying to go with digiweb wireless but 6 houses in my area have not been accepted as there are trees in the way of the receivers arial and the transmitter!!!!
    What are my options - I can't work from home because of crap broadband :(

No taxpayers money was ever spent on 'ngb' ....actually mid noughties technology not modern tech. dig in ethernet around the trees

ok, always thought the Govt put in some money and then the private operators made up the balance
    Do I have any alternative other than sit and wait...and wait...and wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CarlFitz

Please excuse jumping in here. I have same problem. Any info. on Kilmacrennan Co. Donegal being upgraded? Letterkenny and Creesough on either side of us have been enabled.

CarlFitz wrote: »
    Please excuse jumping in here. I have same problem. Any info. on Kilmacrennan Co. Donegal being upgraded? Letterkenny and Creesough on either side of us have been enabled.

Hi CarlFitz,

Have checked the deployment plan and unfortunately the Kilmacrennan exchange is not due for an upgrade up to the end of 2012. Apologies I couldn't deliver better news but check back later in the year and we may have some further updates.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Don't have a lot of public info regarding the fibre roll-out but the latest updates are here. This page will be updated with any news relating to fibre.

James,
    the most recent mention of fibre on the above link related to 4th April last (over 4 months ago) and that was to announce the Phase II locations for Fibre roll-out.

Is there any reason we still have no news for Letterkenny or any of the other Phase I locations? At this rate we'll be passed out by some of the Phase II locations. Very disappointed and frustrated with this long drawn out saga. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

Guys,

Any word on the Taghmon Co. Wexford exchange? After some good advice from you guys earlier in the thread, I now have a connection via Eircom to the outside world. It runs at 1m down and 0.3m down, but it is at least stable. As I work from home on remote servers, it would be nice to try to improve this, though I'm not actually sure if ngb would assist, or if the slowness is post exchange.

James,
    the most recent mention of fibre on the above link related to 4th April last (over 4 months ago) and that was to announce the Phase II locations for Fibre roll-out.

Is there any reason we still have no news for Letterkenny or any of the other Phase I locations? At this rate we'll be passed out by some of the Phase II locations. Very disappointed and frustrated with this long drawn out saga. :confused:

Hi PeadarB,

I understand the frustration regarding the information about the fibre roll-out. Officially, this is still in the pilot stage so the info being given out is still fairly thin on the ground, even for us in here. The press release site is where any new public info will go first. I do know that a fair bit of the 'physical' work is done but I can't confirm any dates for going live. Have sent another request for an update so if I get anything solid I'll put it up here. Apologies again but we will post updates as soon as we receive them.

Regards

James

Wexfordian wrote: »
    Guys,

Any word on the Taghmon Co. Wexford exchange? After some good advice from you guys earlier in the thread, I now have a connection via Eircom to the outside world. It runs at 1m down and 0.3m down, but it is at least stable. As I work from home on remote servers, it would be nice to try to improve this, though I'm not actually sure if ngb would assist, or if the slowness is post exchange.

Hi Wexfordian,

Have checked the list for upgrades and unfortunately there's still no plans for Taghmon exchange. I have checked the line using the details from a previous contact though and can see there may be room to squeeze a little more speed from the line. At the moment you are set up on a 3mb profile but due to the line stats it will never go this high. If I drop the profile to 2mb (with the option of either high/low interleaving) it may be a little faster for you. By doing this it will knock off the connection for about 5 minutes max so I said I'd check with you first. Give me the nod if you'd like to try this and I'll give it a go. If you're happy to leave it as is, that's fine too.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

Hi Wexfordian,

Have checked the list for upgrades and unfortunately there's still no plans for Taghmon exchange. I have checked the line using the details from a previous contact though and can see there may be room to squeeze a little more speed from the line. At the moment you are set up on a 3mb profile but due to the line stats it will never go this high. If I drop the profile to 2mb (with the option of either high/low interleaving) it may be a little faster for you. By doing this it will knock off the connection for about 5 minutes max so I said I'd check with you first. Give me the nod if you'd like to try this and I'll give it a go. If you're happy to leave it as is, that's fine too.

Regards

James

Thanks James, have PM'ed you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Donghua

Hi James,

I got contacted by Eircom today in order to switch over again and they mentioned that my exchange will be upgraded to NGB. Could you check when the Arva, Co. Cavan exchange is scheduled to be upgraded?

Thanks

Donghua wrote: »
    Hi James,

I got contacted by Eircom today in order to switch over again and they mentioned that my exchange will be upgraded to NGB. Could you check when the Arva, Co. Cavan exchange is scheduled to be upgraded?

Thanks

Hi Donghua,

Have checked the Arva exchange and don't see any current plans for an upgrade. I could be wrong as the latest list hasn't been released for a couple of weeks. Do you have the name of the person who called or maybe even their department and I'll see where the info came from?

Thanks

James

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Donghua

Hi James, I just PM'ed all the details.

Donghua

Hi Donghua,

Have checked the Arva exchange and don't see any current plans for an upgrade.

Note that a lot of the later NGB upgrades did not add 24mbit ADSL2 capability to the exchanges, especially the more rural ones.

Often the only difference on the ground is that the max ADSL1 speeds rise from 7.6mbits to 'up to 8mbits' in that case.

Confusingly that means that there are NON NGB exchanges offering 'up to' 24mbits and also that there are NGB exchanges offering 'up to' 8mbits. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭forestman

Hi,
    I live in Clonakilty and looking to transfer back to Eircom. Selected the bundle with up to 8mb and imputed my address and I get a message to say "The broadband product you selected is currently not available in your area".... it then asks me to create my own bundle and has the 3mb option selected. Does that mean that in Clonakilty the most I can still hope for is 3mb? Think I'll ditch my plans to change provider if it is.

forestman wrote: »
    Hi,
    I live in Clonakilty and looking to transfer back to Eircom. Selected the bundle with up to 8mb and imputed my address and I get a message to say "The broadband product you selected is currently not available in your area".... it then asks me to create my own bundle and has the 3mb option selected. Does that mean that in Clonakilty the most I can still hope for is 3mb? Think I'll ditch my plans to change provider if it is.

Hi forestman,

Have checked the general speed around Clonakilty. There are actually 2 exchanges named in that area (and probably more also) which are 'Clonakilty' & 'Clonakilty West'. Clonakilty exchange is NGB enabled and Clonakilty West is ADSL2+ enabled (up to 24mb). The actual speed on your end could be lower though depending on the distance to the exchange and also which specific exchange you are connected to. If you PM the phone number (if possible) or the full address I'll be able to give you more solid info.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Hi forestman,

I can confirm, being in Clonakilty that the ADSL2+ option is available. I am on the exchange near the community college. I get a rock solid 10.5 Mb/s down and .8 Mb/s up. It was a struggle though to get moved off the old ADSL port which limited me, but once they did that it has been very good and reliable. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭forestman

ClonNGB wrote: »
    Hi forestman,

I can confirm, being in Clonakilty that the ADSL2+ option is available. I am on the exchange near the community college. I get a rock solid 10.5 Mb/s down and .8 Mb/s up. It was a struggle though to get moved off the old ADSL port which limited me, but once they did that it has been very good and reliable. Hope this helps.

Im out near Fernhill hotel so I wonder what its like for me. Im on a 3mb package at the moment and get over 2.5 so its pretty good but want to shove up to a higher speed package to deal better with streaming movies etc.

forestman wrote: »
    Im out near Fernhill hotel so I wonder what its like for me. Im on a 3mb package at the moment and get over 2.5 so its pretty good but want to shove up to a higher speed package to deal better with streaming movies etc.

Hi,

Thanks for PM, have been able to test the line directly for you. I can confirm that you are on the Clonakilty exchange which is NGB enabled. The max available speed to the address you gave me is "up to 7.6mb". I also tested a few neighbouring properties to confirm and they all seem to be at that level. If you decide to upgrade through your current provider it should be ok for you. If you would prefer to come to eircom for service you can call our winback team on freephone 1800 566 366. If you need any more info let me know.

Regards

James

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I know a chap above Fernhill in 'Ard Alainn' and he was told, amazing as it seems, that he was outside of ADSL range and had to have a wireless thingy on his roof. So if thats the case 7.6Mb doesn't look so bad. Also note Sky are promising to bring a broadband offering to Ireland shortly, which may force some price/speed improvements if it happens in small towns like ours.

Advertisement