Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB Upgrade

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

When will the Borrisoleigh exchange be upgraded to NGB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

chris2008x wrote: »
    When will the Borrisoleigh exchange be upgraded to NGB?

Hi chris2008x,

I cheeked the latest (provisional) NGB roll-out plan for 2013, I am afraid there is no indication as yet as to if or when the BORRISOLEIGH exchange in Tipperary may be NGB enabled.

However the roll-out plan is updated every 4-6 weeks so there may be some movement in the future regarding that exchange.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 30 grahambol

It makes you wonder how Eircom plan their NGB upgrades to exchanges?  They seem to be random around the country. I know many exchanges around County Galway that are still not NGB enabled, then a few weeks back they upgraded a very small rural one out here but not any of the others nearby. Strange!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Most Galway exchanges aren't NGB. they often upgrade as the old equipment fails meaning something has to be done and they have fibre outside anyway. What one got done in your area??

The Barnaderg one was done last month, but as far as I know none of the others since. Most of the exchanges near me are part of the fibre network (Is that what they call it?) and are called nodes?  I would have thought that would have made it easier for them to upgrade them to NGB or is that not how it works?

• Advertisement

grahambol wrote: »
    The Barnaderg one was done last month, but as far as I know none of the others since. Most of the exchanges near me are part of the fibre network (Is that what they call it?) and are called nodes?  I would have thought that would have made it easier for them to upgrade them to NGB or is that not how it works?
    You are correct. Generally once fibre is in place it is relatively trivial to upgrade the exchange to 2.5gbits of backhaul which is what NGB essentially means.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You are correct. Generally once fibre is in place it is relatively trivial to upgrade the exchange to 2.5gbits of backhaul which is what NGB essentially means.
    Would it just be a case of upgrading the equipment in these exchanges once the fibre is already in place?  A few days work for each one?  (Just curious).

Barnadearg is only chained back to tuam and out to Clonbern so clonbern could be done easily

see http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/eircom-fibre-network

you sort of have to do a chain in seqeunce, few days work and cheap gear .....assuming Tuam has the backhaul of course. If Meteor are planning a 4g mast in Barnadearg exchange they sort of have to start with NGB backhaul.

Barnadearg is only chained back to tuam and out to Clonbern so clonbern could be done easily

see http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/eircom-fibre-network

you sort of have to do a chain in seqeunce, few days work and cheap gear .....assuming Tuam has the backhaul of course. If Meteor are planning a 4g mast in Barnadearg exchange they sort of have to start with NGB backhaul.
    Aah..so that's how it works? very interesting, thanks Spongebob. I see Claregalway and Turloughmore exchanges which are close to me are linked to Mervue, so they would have to do Claregalway first (don't think it is in their short term plans) and then do Turloughmore next and so on. 

What you mention about the possibility of Meteor planning a 4G mast in Barnaderg probably explains the reason they prioritised it for NGB.

Turloughmore and Abbeyknockmoy have great high sites if you are planning a mobile network, especially Abbeyknockmoy  :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi
    I live outside Buncrana, inishowen Co donegal.  I would like to know when or if Linsfort exchange is being upgraded. 
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

Hi anyone?
    Hi babybuilder

Can you PM me your exact address so I can check the exchange your line is connected to?

Regards

Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

Hi Eircom -I'm looking for information NGB upgrade in Glantane area , Mallow Co.Cork. I keep getting sales calls offering money saving bundles but they turn out to be unavailable in my area.

Thanks - YeGods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

YeGods wrote: »
    Hi Eircom -I'm looking for information NGB upgrade in Glantane area , Mallow Co.Cork. I keep getting sales calls offering money saving bundles but they turn out to be unavailable in my area.

Thanks - YeGods

Hi YeGods

I've looked into this and I have discovered that unfortunately at this moment in time there are no plans scheduled to upgrade the Glantane area (which is served by the Lombartstown exchange) to next generation broadband. Our plans for NGB are usually forecasted 12 months in advance to works so feel free to contact me in the future and I will recheck this for you. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

thanks for the reply Al. 2.63 MB for me for the next 12 months so
    Regards,
    YeGods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

YeGods wrote: »
    thanks for the reply Al. 2.63 MB for me for the next 12 months so
    Regards,
    YeGods

Hi YeGods

Sorry to hear this, would you like to PM meyou landline number? I can look into whether an upgrade to 8mb non NGB is available.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Dacelonid wrote: »
    I had an Eircom reseller call to the door last night (in Moate, co. Westmeath) telling me that fibre would be available in Moate in April, but I would only be able to get it if I was already signed up with Eircom.
    Never believe anyone at the door, they lie as standard.  :(

eircom put fibre into Moate about 1989 or so. The most they will do for Moate in 2013 is a possible NGB upgrade which means every reseller gets to resell the same packages as eircom.

More than likely the salesman plain lied. BUT you can ask if Moate is getting NGB in 2013  (modern fibre backhaul not VDSL) here

Based on the discussion above in the Eircom fibre rollout – plans to reach 1m homes in three years thread, I would like to direct SpongeBobs question to an Eircom rep,  is Moate is getting NGB in 2013  (modern fibre backhaul not VDSL)?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

How long does it take for eircom to pass on info to sky about an exchange upgrade?
    The reason I ask is our exchange was recently upgraded to 24mb ngb,we had eircom reps calling doubt the area.
    The thing is I'm with sky now and when I rang them about this they said eircom need to pass on info to them.
    How long does take?

Anyone ? :)

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    How long does it take for eircom to pass on info to sky about an exchange upgrade?
    The reason I ask is our exchange was recently upgraded to 24mb ngb,we had eircom reps calling doubt the area.
    The thing is I'm with sky now and when I rang them about this they said eircom need to pass on info to them.
    How long does take?

Hi Dcully,

eircom advise Wholesale of any exchange upgrades that have been completed as soon as orders can be placed (as per regulations)

I can see your exchange upgrade completed on the 01/03/2013

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark

As soon as orders can be placed, what does this mean? in laymans terms :)

Should sky have passed this on by now? since its now the 19th?

Thanks Mark

As soon as orders can be placed, what does this mean? in laymans terms

Should sky have passed this on by now? since its now the 19th?

Hi Dcully,

As I am unaware of the packages Sky offer and because your account is no longer with eircom. I have no access to your line / account to check.

So I can't answer the question with any certainty I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

The sky package is as fast as your line can go.
    Previous to the exchange upgrade it was 7mb.
    When i rang sky they said its in eircoms` hands to pass on info to sky regarding exchange upgrade.
    Do i have to jump through all sorts of hoops again to get eircom to do something positive?
    Seems to me 19 days on its eircom who are dragging their heels here.
    I had hoped somebody on here could atleast enquire to the powers that be on a possible time frame, not too much to ask since i put up with all sorts of crap from eircom for many many years.

The sky package is as fast as your line can go.
    Previous to the exchange upgrade it was 7mb.
    When i rang sky they said its in eircoms` hands to pass on info to sky regarding exchange upgrade.
    Do i have to jump through all sorts of hoops again to get eircom to do something positive?
    Seems to me 19 days on its eircom who are dragging their heels here.
    I had hoped somebody on here could atleast enquire to the powers that be on a possible time frame, not too much to ask since i put up with all sorts of crap from eircom for many many years.

Hi Dcully,

As per regulations we are not allowed to make any direct enquirers or requests in relation accounts with other providers or their services.

I don't mean to to come across as unhelpful. However I can't escalate the query for you I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Based on the discussion above in the Eircom fibre rollout – plans to reach 1m homes in three years thread, I would like to direct SpongeBobs question to an Eircom rep,  is Moate is getting NGB in 2013  (modern fibre backhaul not VDSL)?
    Thanks

Hi Dacelonid,

I got your PM, can you message me with an exact address or telephone number so I can look into it in detail for you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Dcully,

As per regulations we are not allowed to make any direct enquirers or requests in relation accounts with other providers or their services.

I don't mean to to come across as unhelpful. However I can't escalate the query for you I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

Thank you,

However if i was to ask you if you can check what speed eircom can offer me right now can you help out?
    Its simple, if eircom do indeed offer me what the exchange has been upgraded to and sky dont i will be cancelling sky and moving back to eircom.

Thank you,

However if i was to ask you if you can check what speed eircom can offer me right now can you help out?
    Its simple, if eircom do indeed offer me what the exchange has been upgraded to and sky dont i will be cancelling sky and moving back to eircom.

Hi Dcully,

With that scenario I can check neighbours who have eircom broadband and give a indication based on that.

Thanks, Mark

That seems strange, when i enter my number on the eircom site it says i can get the 24 mb package.

• Advertisement

That seems strange, when i enter my number on the eircom site it says i can get the 24 mb package.

I can only answer specifically in relation to the eircom products / services available.  I appreciate you are just trying to get information. However I have to be cautious, as I can not speculate  or comment on what you may have been advised of by different companies.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement