Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Siri Personal assistant Iphone 4S not available in ireland?

• 05-10-2011 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

I Checked the irish apple website no sign of that siri thing.

I Checked the canadian + new zealand - No sign of it either.

---

This better be a mistake or i will be very unhappy, im practically buying this phone for the voice thing.

And then the price could be high enough aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I just noticed the same myself, it's up on the UK website, but not the Irish one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

really dont see much to encourage me to upgrade to a 4s,this thing with siri not available in ireland is just ridicilous.

id bet people will just pick up 2nd hand iphone 4's,sim free with ios5 and its just as good as the 4s for a lot cheaper.

64gb would be nice but what a hit financially!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Its not on the netherlands apple site either.

Or the on the norway one, Or the the italy website (that's good news)

The countries with the higher pop that dont have it the better.

barryd09 wrote: »
    really dont see much to encourage me to upgrade to a 4s,this thing with siri not available in ireland is just ridicilous.

id bet people will just pick up 2nd hand iphone 4's,sim free with ios5 and its just as good as the 4s for a lot cheaper.

64gb would be nice but what a hit financially!

If this voice thing is not available in ireland i dont think i'll waste my time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

In the presentation they said it worked in Uk & US English, French & German. They also called it a beta release, and said it would remain in beta until more countries are supported.

• Advertisement

Even Japan doesen't have it on their website - http://www.apple.com/jp/iphone/features/

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newme2006

"Siri will be available in beta on iPhone 4S in English (localized for US, UK and Australia), French and German. iOS 5 software will be available on October 12 as a free software update via iTunes 10.5 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch customers."

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/10/04Apple-Launches-iPhone-4S-iOS-5-iCloud.html

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I doubt it will be disabled, but even if it is, getting it to work will probably be as simple as changing the language/region in settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I doubt it will be disabled, but even if it is, getting it to work will probably be as simple as changing the language/region in settings.

Yeah, this would be my guess. It's probably good way of deflecting complaints from people out-side the supported regions. Places that speak English but are heavily accented may produce many more errors.

I've found that with the voice function on my current phone I have to pronounce "mobile" with an American accent to get it to work. Perhaps it's a worldwide conspiracy to get everyone speaking like the yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Is Siri based on io5 or the 4S

if its software based, surely it will work on I4 using ios5

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's 4S only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's most likely locked to iP4S for now.
    Can obvious be gotten around eventually. But by that tiem the beta may well be over

i say it wont be disabled, all you have to do is change country settings maybe?

surely it's to much bother to disable it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,647 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Irish, is our national language. Maybe there concerned they'll need to support that to be allowed sell it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

grizzly wrote: »
    pronounce "mobile" with an American accent to get it to work. Perhaps it's a worldwide conspiracy to get everyone speaking like the yanks.

Maybe that's why the D4 accent came about...all the time we were slagging them about their accent the poor things had no choice but to talk in that dumbass voice so their phones could work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Maybe that's why the D4 accent came about...all the time we were slagging them about their accent the poor things had no choice but to talk in that dumbass voice so their phones could work.

You mean I'll be forced to say "Dorsh" to find out when's the next train to Killiney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rob950

if siri is availabile in the uk and not in ireland because of the accents. what about liverpool there's no one that can understand them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

While the demo looked cool can anyone see themselves giving commands to their iphone in public ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I wonder if the Siri program is entirely contained within the phone or will it require internet access to work ?

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    While the demo looked cool can anyone see themselves giving commands to their iphone in public ?
    No, but what about in the car? Or at home while making breakfast, etc? Nobody is going to be using it all the time, but I can definitely see it's usefulness - provided it works as well as advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

No but it will save me a lot of money on chatline's :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

I think it would be cool if the Siri feature had a voice change feature. I'd like mine to talk like KITT. Or could you imagine a HAL 2000 voice.....when the iPhone 4s reaches it's last days you could say "Hal, activate self destruct, 10 second countdown" and of course the classic reply would be "what are you doing Dave? I cannot allow you to continue."

yeah the Hal 2000 would be like Trigger from "Only Fools & Horses" and would call everyone Dave :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As i said in the other thread:

I'm pretty sure Ireland will get Siri too. I'm aware of a project a few months ago, where an undisclosed company hired Irish actors with different accents and dialects to record different dialogue which would be used for an undisclosed product.

While they were never told who the company was, it looks like it could have been for the irish roll out of Siri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

There was a time that the idea of sending text messages from a device that only had 12 buttons instead of just calling someone seemed far-fetched!

I think that this Siri feature is the start of a revolution in how people interact with mobile devices (and indeed electronic devices in general). While there will be a period where people will feel a bit weird talking to their phone, the tipping point will come and it will be accepted. We are already getting used to the sight of people on handsfree headphones talking away with no phone in sight.

Imagine being able to pop your iphone in your pocket and tell it through your handsfree to "call dad", "play random songs from my work out playlist" or "tell me what the weather forecast is like for tonight"?

The real innovation will come when the software learns from your voice over time and adapts to your dialect in order to refine and enhance its service.

You wouldn't have to take your phone out of your pocket or wherever and go through screens to find what you're after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The iPhone already has a huge user base in the blind community where the reading out function is already pretty good. Being able to control pretty much the entire phone by voice would be fantastic for lots of people with disabilities like that, and people who are illiterate or whatever. I think it's great, it'll make smartphones an option for a lot more people who couldn't use them before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I wonder if the Siri program is entirely contained within the phone or will it require internet access to work ?

They said in the Keynote that it works over Wifi and 3g so I presume a data connection is required. I'm guessing most of the work is done at Apple's huuuge data centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,647 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If apple ever develop a car kit, it may prove very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Pete Digger

Hopefully, this will go some way towards clarifying what the situation is with Siri.

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/iphone-launch-tomorrow-what-expect-ck-101882

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/5732214/Apple-to-showcase-latest-iPhone

From what the New Zealand sites are saying, it's not a case of it not working with 'national' accents (does anyone think that a Cornish accent and a Geordie accent are anything like each other?), it's more to do with a targetted roll-out of a beta. If it's got wrinkles, they don't have to iron so many phones.
    Apple has been touting the phone's new voice recognition service Siri, which, for example, can answer questions about the weather and direct people to weather information on the phone.

But Ms Martin said that feature would initially only be available in the US, Britain, Australia, Germany and France.

So 3 languages, 5 countries and let's see how we get on, seems to be the idea.

From what I get out of the articles, they won't be disabling it, they simply won't be shipping iPhone 4S's into other countries with the Siri software on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Hopefully, this will go some way towards clarifying what the situation is with Siri.

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/iphone-launch-tomorrow-what-expect-ck-101882

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/5732214/Apple-to-showcase-latest-iPhone

From what the New Zealand sites are saying, it's not a case of it not working with 'national' accents (does anyone think that a Cornish accent and a Geordie accent are anything like each other?), it's more to do with a targetted roll-out of a beta. If it's got wrinkles, they don't have to iron so many phones.

So 3 languages, 5 countries and let's see how we get on, seems to be the idea.

From what I get out of the articles, they won't be disabling it, they simply won't be shipping iPhone 4S's into other countries with the Siri software on it.

Maybe a stupid question but, if the 4s is bought in the UK it will ship with Siri and work in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

RobitTV wrote: »
    Even Japan doesen't have it on their website - http://www.apple.com/jp/iphone/features/

In Japan Siri means "ass", so I doubt they would have it there.

Advertisement