Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Siri Personal assistant Iphone 4S not available in ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

rob950 wrote: »
    if siri is availabile in the uk and not in ireland because of the accents. what about liverpool there's no one that can understand them.

plus no one in their right mind would display an iphone in Liverpool..scummy scousers would have it nicked within a minute.;)

Hobbes wrote: »
    In Japan Siri means "ass", so I doubt they would have it there.

no it resembles the word for it "shiri"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

In fairness, Microsoft were the same with Voice Recognition with Kinect - limited markets first, with others to be added later. A year later, and there's no sign yet other than the promise of it with the new 'Fall Dashboard update'.

... On the other hand, you could run into problems like this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

dmcg90 wrote: »
    They said in the Keynote that it works over Wifi and 3g so I presume a data connection is required. I'm guessing most of the work is done at Apple's huuuge data centres.

Right so you can rule out using it on O2's shite new plans then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

It will work in ireland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLwNm79H-wE

In my opinion this video confirms why it SHOULDN'T work in ireland, just hold down the home button and them its comes on, simple...

No way they would disable that..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Not that impressed by it tbh, windows phone 7 and android have had something similar for quite a while now.

Is there any new features apart from the voice recognition exclusive to the iphone 4S?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Not that impressed by it tbh, windows phone 7 and android have had something similar for quite a while now.

Is there any new features apart from the voice recognition exclusive to the iphone 4S?

Siri is not just voice recognition. It's how the program interacts with you and understands your intentions.

Voice recognition is 'Play Song x', 'Call home' etc.

Siri gives you a weather forecast when asked 'Do I need a raincoat today'. It will also send a text containing details of meeting someone for lunch and put it in your diary.

It's completely different.

It's very much a step in the direction of computers in Star Trek The Next Generation, where you ask a computer something normal english and off it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pocco

I spoke to Apple care, and the customer care agent said that "Siri" is a key part to the iPhone 4s and that more details will become avaible tomorrow when the website is updated, and should there be no Siri Feature shown in the new update, i should call them back, as they are waiting on all the details in regards to the iPhone 4s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭BannerBarry

Was waiting for the new iPhone to upgrade.... what a mock of a new phone.. Apple lost without Jobs. Samsung Galaxy II for me on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

I wonder if the Siri program is entirely contained within the phone or will it require internet access to work ?

They said in the Keynote that it works over Wifi and 3g so I presume a data connection is required. I'm guessing most of the work is done at Apple's huuuge data centres.
    Do they say anywhere that the voice is processed in a back end server. It would seem to me that the latency would be horrible if it had to hit a server every time it processes a command, voice command would have to be digitised, sent up th
    e line and then response sent back down.
    When they say it needs wifi or 3g, I would have thought it was for the search type commands that you might ask.

• Advertisement

pocco wrote: »
    I spoke to Apple care, and the customer care agent said that "Siri" is a key part to the iPhone 4s and that more details will become avaible tomorrow when the website is updated, and should there be no Siri Feature shown in the new update, i should call them back, as they are waiting on all the details in regards to the iPhone 4s

It will work in all countries that speak english, it would be a waste of time trying to disable it.

It will work in all english speaking countries - it would be near to impossible to disable it for certain countries, Siri is the key part of the iphone 4S.

Apple would lose badly if they disabled it, very badly.

It would end horrible and a big mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Was waiting for the new iPhone to upgrade.... what a mock of a new phone.. Apple lost without Jobs. Samsung Galaxy II for me on Saturday

Eh....the iPhone did upgrade....read the specs.

Also.....do people really think that there would have been a different phone if Jobs was still CEO?

Get real people, these are long projects, take months to plan and are not decided on by one person!

It will work with Ireland, we use the iPhone English (UK) Keyboard so they can't hide the voice button. The reason they don't have (Ireland in the brackets is because in the beta they haven't finalized irish accents. To be fair it will take them a while to program commands like: "Call me ma". So if you speak "Normal, formal" english spoken by people who are playing with the full desk it should mostly likely work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I wonder if the Siri program is entirely contained within the phone or will it require internet access to work ?
    The requests like the weather, and definitions need internet access. I would of thought that was obvious. How else would it know.
    Why would they process the work over a server? That's stupid.

Siri is software on the phone. It process the commands in the phone.
    If you of your requests requires internet access, then obviously you need WiFi or 3G active. Example: Tomorrows weather. Look up restaurants

If the request doesn't need internet access, then it doesn't need wifi or 3G. Examples: Set an alarm, set a reminder, make a call, read a text

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It will work with Ireland, we use the iPhone English (UK) Keyboard so they can't hide the voice button. The reason they don't have (Ireland in the brackets is because in the beta they haven't finalized irish accents. To be fair it will take them a while to program commands like: "Call me ma". So if you speak "Normal, formal" english spoken by people who are playing with the full desk it should mostly likely work!

The other side of 'will it work in Ireland' is not just the voice recognition aspect, but also the backend data. In the US there are booking websites that you can use to make reservations at restaurants, theatres, other attractions.

There may not be similar services available in other markets, and as a result you might get a list of results with incomplete information (Just google 'Restaurants in Raheny' and you get results varying from Malahide to the southside of the city) or there may be a local service (such as menupages.ie), but who is to say that Apple will partner with it? I'm sure Apple would like a slice of the pie for directing successful customers through such a site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

barryd09 wrote: »
    really dont see much to encourage me to upgrade to a 4s,this thing with siri not available in ireland is just ridicilous.

id bet people will just pick up 2nd hand iphone 4's,sim free with ios5 and its just as good as the 4s for a lot cheaper.

64gb would be nice but what a hit financially!

Just as good? Like how the 3G and 3GS were identical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

UC55l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Oi resize that ****e will ya.

Any talk of a release date here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

October 24th in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Mellor wrote: »
    October 24th in Ireland

I'm sure it's the 28th, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

murpho999 wrote: »
    Eh....the iPhone did upgrade....read the specs.

Just to add to that, iOS5 has some great performance improvements across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

No mention of Siri in the Irish page on 4S. :/

http://www.apple.com/ie/iphone/

Hobbes wrote: »
    No mention of Siri in the Irish page on 4S. :/

http://www.apple.com/ie/iphone/

prob won't add it till closer to launch day.
    This would be the only reason I'd even think of upgrading my iphone4..if siri isn't available not going to bother.

Mellor wrote: »
    The requests like the weather, and definitions need internet access. I would of thought that was obvious. How else would it know.

Why are you being a wiseass ?
    It was obvious that things like weather etc will be downloaded as requested. I was referring to the speech analysis aspect of it. since I said program and not data - I would have thought that was obvious.
    Why would they process the work over a server? That's stupid.

Siri is software on the phone. It process the commands in the phone.
    If you of your requests requires internet access, then obviously you need WiFi or 3G active. Example: Tomorrows weather. Look up restaurants

If the request doesn't need internet access, then it doesn't need wifi or 3G. Examples: Set an alarm, set a reminder, make a call, read a text

I'm not sure a phone, even an A5 phone has the processing grunt to analyse speech does. Even PC's don't have speech analysis anything like that good and they have a lot more grunt. So all of what you are talking about as obvious - is anything but. Frankly I would have thought that was obvious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'm sure I read before that Siri (in it's previous form) used their servers to do the processing of the commands etc. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can find something about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

During the keynote Scott said the processing was carried out in Apple data centres not on the phone.

I assume obvious commands like variations of phone, text, alarm, mail, play, etc will be on the phone.

More complex things like "When will The Black Eyed Peas next play in The O2?" would be cloud processed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

You do realise that Steve was involved in the development of the 4S, don't you? The current model was not affected by his death.

There are several other Apple products in the pipeline that Steve was involved in, and you will see them over the next few years. People like Jonathan Ive, who designs all the Apple products will still be heavily involved.

Richard wrote: »
    You do realise that Steve was involved in the development of the 4S, don't you? The current model was not affected by his death.

There are several other Apple products in the pipeline that Steve was involved in, and you will see them over the next few years. People like Jonathan Ive, who designs all the Apple products will still be heavily involved.

One news story said he left 4 years of development

• Advertisement

Dr Galen wrote: »
    I'm sure I read before that Siri (in it's previous form) used their servers to do the processing of the commands etc. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can find something about that

Highly unlikely seeing as it's locked to the 4s so I suspect Apple has improved the software so it can on the phone as required and access the internet then for other requests. If it was just a case of backend processing any of the 3gs/iphone4's would be able to support it as well.

Advertisement