Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Siri Personal assistant Iphone 4S not available in ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Highly unlikely seeing as it's locked to the 4s so I suspect Apple has improved the software so it can on the phone as required and access the internet then for other requests. If it was just a case of backend processing any of the 3gs/iphone4's would be able to support it as well.

Or....it's just locked to the 4S for no real technical reason and it's simply a ploy to "encourage" more people to upgrade to the 4S. Same way that the Find My iPhone feature was free for anyone with a 4, but anyone with a 3GS who wanted it had to pay for it as part of a MobileMe subscription.

Not that I blame them, I'll be upgrading anyway. But I've no problem recognising it as a cynical marketing ploy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Don't forget the 4s has improved data bandwidth - perhaps this is a factor ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The original SIRI worked on a 3g(s) so I doubt processing power will be an issue on the 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Siri?? I'm still waiting for Visual Voicemail. This was a feature on iPhone 1 and it was promised by O2 'within months' of the launch. That was years ago and it hasn't happened yet...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jpfahy wrote: »
    Siri?? I'm still waiting for Visual Voicemail. This was a feature on iPhone 1 and it was promised by O2 'within months' of the launch. That was years ago and it hasn't happened yet...........
    not the iphone's fault that visual voicemail isn't supported by carriers here.

it's not that great anyways plus who leaves voicemails these days, i know someone will ring me back because their phone tells them they've missed a call from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/24008-no-siri-for-ireland-on-ipho

Would not be happy

Wonder would access to it be geolocated our would a phone from the UK have it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well there goes any reason for getting the phone.

AlanD wrote: »
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/24008-no-siri-for-ireland-on-ipho

Would not be happy

Wonder would access to it be geolocated our would a phone from the UK have it?

<Accent=Darby O'Gill>
    Te-tae-te-tae. Begorrah and Beejaysus. sure the poor little american pixie Siri in dat fancy giggerymagizmo wudln't be understandin what we wud be gabbin about here in the land of baaannshee's and leprechauns. And as for King Brion they'd only be after his gold
    </Accent>

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

The videos I've seen of it demoed are from 02 Uk and the guy talking is a Brit and it responds perfectly. The problem here is that they probably tested it using the accent from the capital including thick north side accents like my dads. That has to be extremely difficult to calibrate for to get it to understand the slower pegged dragged out words "ddyyaknnoowwaaImmmeeeeaann". If they had tested it with a straight edge Galway accent I'd say they'd have passed it. They can't sell it as having this feature if they can't support it. I'll be getting one from the Uk if this is the case because I hliterally have no accent anymore and sound like Siri herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

The review of the 4S in the Irish Indo makes no reference to SIRI not being available in Ireland....

cos they just picked it up off the wire.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/apple-iphone-4s-review-2903123.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

quad_red wrote: »
    The review of the 4S in the Irish Indo makes no reference to SIRI not being available in Ireland....

cos they just picked it up off the wire.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/apple-iphone-4s-review-2903123.html

Thats a UK review. Note the reference at the end to the telegraph.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Well Siri isn't supported in Japan and its on the iPhone 4s so I think silicon republic is talking ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

faceman wrote: »
    Thats a UK review. Note the reference at the end to the telegraph.co.uk

I know. I said they just picked it up off the wire in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

It will definetly be available but it wont be fined tuned to accept an Irish accent. UK or US English will only be available i guarantee you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭maninblack

Should work fine for those of us who don't have a knacker accent :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Hogzy wrote: »
    It will definetly be available but it wont be fined tuned to accept an Irish accent. UK or US English will only be available i guarantee you!!!

source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

maninblack wrote: »
    Should work fine for those of us who don't have a knacker accent :cool:

I just pissed myself:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

not the iphone's fault that visual voicemail isn't supported by carriers here.

it's not that great anyways plus who leaves voicemails these days, i know someone will ring me back because their phone tells them they've missed a call from me.

I never ring back missed calls - life's too short. If it's important they'll leave a voicemail or a text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ciaranmac wrote: »
    I never ring back missed calls - life's too short. If it's important they'll leave a voicemail or a text.
    :rolleyes:
    Ringing back a missed called is quicker and cheaper than checking voicemail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A reliable source has informed me we will have Siri in Ireland specific to the Irish market and it will be launched with the 4S in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I thought the 4S was launching on October 28th?

O2 have just announced on their twitter page that Apple and O2 will not be supporting Siri in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

faceman wrote: »
    O2 have just announced on their twitter page that Apple and O2 will not be supported in Ireland.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://twitter.com/O2IRL/statuses/124454786929131520
    FYI SIRI will not be supported in Ireland by O2 or Apple.That said you will be able to still turn it on if you want to use it.

http://twitter.com/O2IRL/statuses/124464006378434560
    @aidan_walsh It can be used but if there is any issue with it we wil not be able to help I am afraid.. Colette

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭squonk

That's awful! We have a lot of our own expressions here that might cause problems. "What's my schedule" might be OK, but "What's my Calendar" might be a problem, especially as I, and others I know, pronounce Calendar as Ca-Lender, as opposed to Calen-der. Not sure if that makes sense really!

What a joke

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

squonk wrote: »
    That's awful! We have a lot of our own expressions here that might cause problems. "What's my schedule" might be OK, but "What's my Calendar" might be a problem, especially as I, and others I know, pronounce Calendar as Ca-Lender, as opposed to Calen-der. Not sure if that makes sense really!
    What a joke

What's the problem? According to O2, Siri will work here, it just doesn't support Irish accents yet. It's only in beta - even in the countries where it is supported. And according to Faceman's source, Irish accent support is coming in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

What's the problem? According to O2, Siri will work here, it just doesn't support Irish accents yet. It's only in beta - even in the countries where it is supported. And according to Faceman's source, Irish accent support is coming in January.

The D4 americanised hybrids will love that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sssssiiiiimon

So what is the official statement.

It will work but if you have a problem it won't be supported.

Plus you need to talk like a brit or a yank. Hmmm...

Credit to O2 for telling people and not waiting until after release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

My biggest worry is that it will be tested in Hollyhill only work with Cork accents, boy.

Advertisement