Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Siri Personal assistant Iphone 4S not available in ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I'd love Three Uk to explain how they're gonna support them wans in wee Derry, hey.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

stimpson wrote: »
    My biggest worry is that it will be tested in Hollyhill only work with Cork accents, boy.

There's every other accent BUT Cork, up in Apple Hollyhill. :D
    They could nearly do every European localisation up there......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Credit to O2 for telling people and not waiting until after release.
    Even though Apple said it in the 4s launch presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

It's been totally taken off the apple.ie website :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

leemaree wrote: »
    It's been totally taken off the apple.ie website :(

It was never there to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Well i seen it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You probably saw it on the US site. It was never on the Irish site. A fact which was quickly noted by many people here shortly after the keynote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Can someone please give me the simple answer as to why we ain't getting Siri ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

mixednuts wrote: »
    Can someone please give me the simple answer as to why we ain't getting Siri ?
    From what I can see, we are getting it, but Apple aren't supporting it. It will be there, and if you speak properly, it will work (maybe not for localized searches online, but for other things), however Apple haven't had time to finalize all the potential Irish accents, so won't be offering any answers for a while if it can't understand what you're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sssssiiiiimon

Johnmb wrote: »
    From what I can see, we are getting it, but Apple aren't supporting it. It will be there, and if you speak properly, it will work (maybe not for localized searches online, but for other things), however Apple haven't had time to finalize all the potential Irish accents, so won't be offering any answers for a while if it can't understand what you're saying.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Mellor wrote: »
    ciaranmac wrote: »
    I never ring back missed calls - life's too short. If it's important they'll leave a voicemail or a text.
    :rolleyes:
    Ringing back a missed called is quicker and cheaper than checking voicemail.

?? Voicemail is free for me. I never ring back missed calls. I get about 100 calls a day, and about 20 missed calls. If there's no voicemail, its not important/urgent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Voicemail WRECKS my head.

Don't leave me a voicemail. Hang up and send a text

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What a joke
    How is that bad news in any way?

Keynote: Siri is in Beta, will localised for USA, UK and Oz

Boards.ie: Does that mean they are disabling it.
    "ONG, they are disabling it thats so unfair"
    "typical, disabled in ROI, FU Apple"

Boards.ie people with common sense:
    "They never said it was beinf disabled. It's jsut not localised yet. It's still beta.

O2: "You can turn siri on and use it, its not not tech supported in ireland"

How that is a joke is beyond me, its pretty much the the best that would happen after the Keynote annouced it was beta testing in USA, UK and Oz only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mirl08

Good to hear of the option to at least turn on the uk or us version!

I hope the Jan launch date rumor is correct, but somehow i'm pessimistic about it. iBooks only just got paid stuff in there a few weeks ago which took aages, we waited ages for movies in iTunes, still waiting on tv shows, visual voicemail, and i know its nothing to do with apple, but spotify aswell !! These things I've learned are "coming soon" which means 2-5 years... :(

TBh, I'd say that for most mild accents that the UK option would work fine.
    We'll find out soon.

Mine is on order in Oz, I'll let you know how the oz tech support handles an irish accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Pete Digger

Siri semi-successfully getting to grips with an Australian accent. Be interested to see it up against some Northern Territories Strine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

So has anyone who got the phone today got Siri on it?

Im just back in Dublin after a trip to Belfast and have activated the phone just now. No sign of Siri. Nothing in the Options and holding down the home button just brings up the regular old voice control function.

I set language to British English but location to Ireland. Will try resetting location to uk but then don't know if location services and my iTunes store account etc will work.

EDIT: never mind, found it in options. Had assumed it would have it's own main header but it's tucked away in General

2nd Edit - just played around with it there and it works pretty damn impressively. Only problems I've encountered so far are:
    1) when I ask it to search for restaurants in Dublin it says "I can only search for businesses in the United States and in US English, sorry about that.
    2) it has problems with people's names. That may be because I just activated the phone as a new device and haven't restored my saved backup yet with any contacts etc, so hopefully it will improve. I asked it to remind me to call my wife but it got her name wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

EDIT: never mind, found it in options. Had assumed it would have it's own main header but it's tucked away in General[/QUOTE]

well? does it work?

KD11 wrote: »
    EDIT: never mind, found it in options. Had assumed it would have it's own main header but it's tucked away in General

well? does it work?

See second edit in my original post. I would say yes, it's very impressive, just asking it to look up stuff in Wikipedia or search google etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭thomasj

They have to do something about this!
    http://blog.gsmarena.com/got-a-new-iphone-4s-using-a-passcode-double-check-your-siri-settings/
    The iPhone’s Voice Control feature is present for quite some time in the iOS. If you’ve ever used a passcode on your lockscreen for protection, you should be already familiar you should disable the Voice Dial from the settings otherwise everyone can call anyone he likes.

Well, enter the much more capable iPhone 4S Siri. Guess what, it would still work from your lockscreen by default even if you’ve set a passcode for your iPhone 4S. You can already imagine how someone who gets access to your locked phone can perform all these clever tasks you’ve seen on the demos like extract all sorts of info about you, your regime and they can even call whoever they like. Ouch!
    Here, watch our reader Weng Chin show you the effect this issue might have (he demos the thing from 1:00 on):

On the iPhone 4 you are in much the same danger with Voice control though it’s far less capable and versatile than Siri. Still, gaining an access to someone else’s locked iPhone 4 would still allow you to dial any of the saved contacts, but also you can dictate a number yourself.
    To protect yourself from these sorts of perils, it’s best that you dig in your Passcode options. From there, you will be able to turn off the Voice Dial or Siri functionality on the lockscreen. And we can imagine that if you’ve gone through the trouble of using a passcode on your phone, then privacy is a major concern to you. So, you are welcome.
    Whatever model iPhone you are using, you should take your time configuring the thing properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Given that Siri is designed to be used at times when using your hands might be inopportune or impossible, I'd wouldn't call it a flaw though I do see the security and privacy implications. The best thing you could do at that time is try to have the phone wiped as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Siri semi-successfully getting to grips with an Australian accent. Be interested to see it up against some Northern Territories Strine.

Siri is an idiot :rolleyes:

Everyone knows the meaning of life is 42!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

I wanted it to say that so badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 andrewshawire

Has anyone seen this yet? Siri not dependent on the A5 chip.

http://cydiahelp.com/yes-youll-be-able-to-enable-siri-on-iphone-4/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Has anyone seen this yet? Siri not dependent on the A5 chip.

http://cydiahelp.com/yes-youll-be-able-to-enable-siri-on-iphone-4/
    Apple claimed that Siri was exclusive to the iPhone 4S due to the A5's capability, even though most (if not all) the work is done in the cloud. Something to bear in mind if you plan to use it, you'd want to have some sort of Data allowance on your Plan

Pre-ordered on weds. No sign of it yet.

GF walked into vodafone today (sat) and left with one.
    Screw you pre-orders

I just asked it what was the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything, and it came back with 42 via Wolfram Alpha :)

EDIT: If you keep asking it the same question, it comes out with different things:

Question: What's the meaning of life?

Answers:
    "I find it odd that you would ask that of an inanimate object"
    "I can't answer that now, but give me some time to write a very long play in which nothing happens."
    "Life: A principle or force that is considered to underlie the distinctive quality of animate beings. I guess that includes me."
    and of course....
    "42"

I'm liking Siri more and more :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

It didnt take too long...

:D:D:D

http://****thatsirisays.tumblr.com/

EDIT - forgot that boards doesnt allow the use of the word sh1t.

Its sh1tthatsirisays.tumblr.com (replacing the 1 for an i)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Athena14

I think this should clear things up, it's on the apple website:
    Siri works exclusively on iPhone 4S. Siri understands and can speak the following languages:

English (United States, United Kingdom, Australia)
    French (France)
    German (Germany)
    In 2012, Siri will support additional languages, including Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian, and Spanish.

Can I use Siri in any of these languages in other countries?
    Yes. Siri can be enabled in any country, and you can choose to speak to it in English, French, or German. However, Siri is designed to recognize the specific accents and dialects of the supported countries listed above. Since every language has its own accents and dialects, the accuracy rate will be higher for native speakers.

So looks like it will work in Ireland just won't have maps or yelp

Advertisement