Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Siri Personal assistant Iphone 4S not available in ireland?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Athena14 wrote: »

So looks like it will work in Ireland just won't have maps or yelp

It will work if you don't have a working class/bogger accent more like it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Athena14

Yup just put on a posh english accent or a thicky american one and you'll be grand :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Athena14 wrote: »
    I think this should clear things up, it's on the apple website:
    Siri works exclusively on iPhone 4S. Siri understands and can speak the following languages:

English (United States, United Kingdom, Australia)
    French (France)
    German (Germany)
    In 2012, Siri will support additional languages, including Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian, and Spanish.

Can I use Siri in any of these languages in other countries?
    Yes. Siri can be enabled in any country, and you can choose to speak to it in English, French, or German. However, Siri is designed to recognize the specific accents and dialects of the supported countries listed above. Since every language has its own accents and dialects, the accuracy rate will be higher for native speakers.

So looks like it will work in Ireland just won't have maps or yelp

Irish accents should be a piece of p*ss for Siri after american and australian......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

whiterebel wrote: »
    Irish accents should be a piece of p*ss for Siri after american and australian......:D

You've clearly never been to Ardee/Kerry/Darndale/Cavan/....etc etc...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Been to all of them. And the US and Australia. Interesting to see what Siri would make of going rooting for something......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭maninblack

It should work find on the Southside of Dublin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sylvia88

I spoke to a mobile phone network agent who stated that Apple are finding "Difficulty" in getting Siri to work with Irish accents. Unusual! Also they are keeping the price hush hush but speculating anything up to €275 on bill. eeep.

Sylvia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sylvia88 wrote: »
    I spoke to a mobile phone network agent who stated that Apple are finding "Difficulty" in getting Siri to work with Irish accents. Unusual!
    Don't mind them, they were talking out of their arse. Apple don't share that kind of information with networks.

Sylvia88 wrote: »
    I spoke to a mobile phone network agent who stated that Apple are finding "Difficulty" in getting Siri to work with Irish accents. Unusual! Also they are keeping the price hush hush but speculating anything up to €275 on bill. eeep.

Sylvia

How would a mobile network agent in pokey little country like ours by privvy too the technical goings on at Apple ? I'd ignore everything that person told you they were spoofing

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

How would a mobile network agent in pokey little country like ours by privvy too the technical goings on at Apple ? I'd ignore everything that person told you they were spoofing

You mean the very same pokey little country where Apple's European headquarters are located? not really that hard a pill to swallow - although I wouldn't believe it either :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Mobile network staff know nothing about their own companies so unlikely they would know stuff about others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

I have read a lot about Siri not understanding our Irish accents but I assume it works of basically the same technology as the voice control on the iPhone 3gs and 4 at the moment. If this is the case it should be ok??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

maninblack wrote: »
    It should work find on the Southside of Dublin ;)

The southside as in Dolphin's Barn, Drimnagh, Inchicore? Or the cliched one where only the rich supposedly live?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

naasrd wrote: »
    The southside as in Dolphin's Barn, Drimnagh, Inchicore? Or the cliched one where only the rich supposedly live?
    I'm not sure why you'd think he's not telling the truth, voice has been tried before many times and it's the variance in accents is what makes it inconsistent, and my God does Ireland vary with accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Siri seems to be working fine for me, the only thing that doesn't work is the location services, other than that I find it very handy especially when driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

So far it seems to pick up around 95% of what I'm saying, that's with a west Dublin accent.

Once you don't use too much slang I'd imagine your fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

So it's enabled, but not supported. Good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

The big question is does it use the British or American accent? The guys on Engadget said you couldn't change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

It's possible too that as Irish people use it, it may be learning how to figure out our accents too, assuming there is some AI built in.

I have used Dragon Dictation by Nuance before and it's very accurate. Siri uses the same speech recognition software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Gileadi wrote: »
    So far it seems to pick up around 95% of what I'm saying, that's with a west Dublin accent.

Castleknock west or blanch west?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Neither castleknock or west blanch, also you can change the accent in settings>general>siri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Gileadi wrote: »

Will Siri know the difference between you're and your?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Whats the story with SIRI now, is it working well in Ireland or at all ?. Do you need wifi connection for SIRI to work well?

ROS123 wrote: »
    Whats the story with SIRI now, is it working well in Ireland or at all ?. Do you need wifi connection for SIRI to work well?

Its been upgrading with the Leprechaun Brogue update.

It will work in Ireland, but only if you speak like a cast member from Darby O Gill and the little people

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Its been upgrading with the Leprechaun Brogue update.

It will work in Ireland, but only if you speak like a cast member from Darby O Gill and the little people

Well named 'opinion guy', my sarcasm app is not working today, don't know whether to take that response with a pinch of salt or not?

Advertisement