Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monument to recognize our hurling tradition

Options
  • 05-10-2011 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

I would love to see some physical representation our of love for hurling. It would stand as a recognition for our great hurling tradition and as a permanent memorial to all those who represent our city and county with such distinction down the years. My idea would be a tasteful sculpture of two black and amber coloured giant cats in a vertical pose gripping hurleys which meet in the middle with a sliotar between the bosses. A possible location is the Parade near the Castle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

ugh. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

ugh. No.

^^^^ +1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

ugh. No.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

ugh. No.

+1

In fact:

n
    n=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

An utterly cringeworthy idea

Rather like changing the Kilkenny crest instead of having a normal one like everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Don't hold back, say what ye really think. I imagined two Matt the Cats on the parade.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Not gone on the idea, it's not like people have short memories and need to be reminded. Infact it would suggest that there may be insecurities regarding the future of hurling in kilkenny if there's a need to remind everyone.

Generally monuments are of things passed. However thurles has a hurling heritage shop I think just of the main square for those locals who need their fix. Maybe GAA followers could set up their own kilkenny hurling appreciation centre. There seems to be growing trends with two pubs competing against eachother on the parade for the hurling fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I fully agree there should be a monument.

However I do not agree with your idea of 2 black and amber cats, I think it would be horrible. Maybe something with a little more class.

The little square by the river opposite Xtravision is an ideal spot, best keep away from the castle, leave well enough alone and all that.

If a monument is erected, don't you just know its going to be a big chrome monstrosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Sports teams generally, no matter how big or successful, and associated with their town/city, don't have statues or monuments in the middle of their town centres (or do they?). They have the statues or monuments outside their sports grounds, or Michael Jackson outside their ground if you are Fulham.

I suppose a fountain based monument would be a nice draw for the drinkers and druggies though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

It doesn't have to be my exact idea of two cats or whatever or even in the location I suggested. Its just that hurling is a central part of life in KK. It allows us to be represented on the national stage and is an opportunity to show ourselves in a great light as a city and county. Hurling is a wonderful switch off from lifes various hassles be it financial, physical, emotional or psychological. It allows us to be engrossed for 70 minutes on a Sunday. I really think the contribution hurlers have made to our enjoyment of life deserves to be recognised and an appreciation of their brilliance on the field and for how well the represent the city and county as sports people. You will always have people who begrudge others being recognized for their positive contribution to society and life as we live it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

i don't like hurling. It has done nothing to enhance my life. I consider hurling to be the same as religion. Grand if others like it but i don't need to see constant reminders of it. Oh and where will the money to pay for it come from

Maybe Glanbia might sponsor you never know. As for not liking hurling that's your entitlement. It may not have enhanced your life but I know it has been a nice added dimension to mine and I'm sure many others in the county. Money has been spent in far worse ways in this country, e-voting machines spring to mind.

holyhead wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be my exact idea of two cats or whatever or even in the location I suggested. Its just that hurling is a central part of life in KK. It allows us to be represented on the national stage and is an opportunity to show ourselves in a great light as a city and county. Hurling is a wonderful switch off from lifes various hassles be it financial, physical, emotional or psychological. It allows us to be engrossed for 70 minutes on a Sunday. I really think the contribution hurlers have made to our enjoyment of life deserves to be recognised and an appreciation of their brilliance on the field and for how well the represent the city and county as sports people. You will always have people who begrudge others being recognized for their positive contribution to society and life as we live it.

^ This I agree with.

The town is full of stupid, pointless, ugly architecture. Sure what harm is there in having another example I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

The monument is a good idea, but a hurling museum/exhibition should be opened in the city. It'd be great. They should have integrated one into Nowlan Park when they built the new stand behind the goal a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

We have the Lory Meagher centre only a few miles out, I don't think we really need another one.

Nolan Park would be the place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

We have the Lory Meagher centre only a few miles out, I don't think we really need another one.

Ah, here!

Sky King wrote: »
    Ah, here!

It's not even ten miles, half an hour on my bicycle, fifteen in the car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd be in favour of some kind of tasteful monument alright, hurling is a big part of the culture of the county, it's not for everyone of course, but enough I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Irishswede

I think this is so f**king sad that this is all KK has to offer. Yes I am from KK but luckily dont live there any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Irishswede wrote: »
    I think this is so f**king sad that this is all KK has to offer. Yes I am from KK but luckily dont live there any more.

Fairly sure no luck is required. Winning the lottery would be considered lucky, finding the right road out of a city, a basic skill.

If another few with that attitude followed suit, KK would be much better for it!

ft9 wrote: »
    If another few with that attitude followed suit, KK would be much better for it!

Some of us have "bad luck" and end up coming back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

holyhead wrote: »
    My idea would be a tasteful sculpture of two black and amber coloured giant cats in a vertical pose gripping hurleys

Does not compute :D

That was probably why I didn't pursue art as a serious career option. On a serious note I hope a tasteful monument is put up to acknowledge the contribution hurling has made to life in the county and to acknowledge the brilliance of Kilkenny hurling no better displayed than in the last decade.

How about something like this from Iraq, hurlies instead of swords over all the major roads in.
    http://www.foreignaffairs.com/files/images/01CrossedSwordsMakiya400_1.jpg
    Like Iraq, Kilkenny could display its symbolic tribalistic medieval show of arms.
    Glorify the past when the future dries up.

Which is probably why you are of the opinion that hurling is all Kilkenny has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 anyone_local

catbear wrote: »
    Not gone on the idea, it's not like people have short memories and need to be reminded.
    maybe a monument in memory of Kilkenny football so?!

• Advertisement

Farmball? No, it would have to be cricket, it was the most popular sport in Kilkenny before hurling.
    He saw a hurling match in the town with no spectators present, ‘a fact which proves conclusively what little hold the GAA has taken on Kilkenny’. He went on to deplore the quality on offer: ‘The hurling of both teams was, we believe, the worst and most spiritless ever witnessed on an Irish hillside . . . It would break the heart of a Moycarkey or Galway Gael to witness such a contemptible perversion of the grand old dashing game of hurling’.

http://www.historyireland.com/volumes/volume15/issue2/reviews/?id=113943

Perhaps a monument to cricket would bring back to centre the socially uniting manner of sport rather than the socially divisive rules of the GAA.

Advertisement