Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much will doing a masters increase my chances of getting a job?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 4:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

I'm an Arts graduate looking to get into the media (yeah, I know, shocker)

My undergrad was kind of useless but I have the piece of paper.

Now I'm working abroad in a different field but I'd like to come home and start a career.

By June, when my contract ends, I will have enough saved to finance a postgrad.

The question is between 8k in fees and 3-4k in living expenses, will I get a return on my investment?

With that kind of money I could finance myself through a good length internship (if I could get one) - would that be more beneficial as a career move?

To give a bit of background I've done several bit internships of a few weeks each, I have done some freelance work and I write on a couple of different blogs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I have a M.Sc in Computer Science and it probably hasn't helped my career. It does make me stand out somewhat from the crowd, but I don't believe it has ever gotten me a job or extra money.

I'm glad I have it though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

By June, when my contract ends, I will have enough saved to finance a postgrad.

The question is between 8k in fees and 3-4k in living expenses, will I get a return on my investment?
    It really depends on what it is you want to do a masters on? But I would generally advise against doing a postgrad as a financial investment. If you think it's going to help you stand out from the crowd or if it's something you're really interested in, then it might be worth it. Otherwise, you're probably better off in the labour market getting real-world experience, which is far more valuable than any qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

I have a M.Sc in Computer Science and it probably hasn't helped my career. :)

maybe because you've never tried to use it?
    Aren't u teaching in China?

As far as I know, a msc in computer science is one of the few postgrads that give u a good chance of getting an IT job, no?

djpbarry wrote: »
    you're probably better off in the labour market getting real-world experience, which is far more valuable than any qualification.

but in order to actually get real-world experience in the labour force, surely a qualification would be a prerequisite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Tieko

I think experience will always win out over any masters. If you can get yourself an internship in the area you want to work, this will stand much too you that having another piece of paper. I also think it is better to gain experience in the area you want to to work before doing a masters as you can bring real industry experience to the course.

Ultimately it is up to you, but I have not come across many jobs that request candidates to have a masters, occasionally it may be listed 'as desirable', but trust me the person with the experience will nearly always get the job.

• Advertisement

a masters is essential in many fields

e.g economics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Have you got any relevant experience? A couple of internships coupled with a Masters got me an interview with a large media company.

but in order to actually get real-world experience in the labour force, surely a qualification would be a prerequisite
    Not necessarily, no. As was said above, an internship could well get a foot in the door. Personally, I have mixed feelings about internships, but it is an option. As has been said, experience trumps qualifications almost every time.
    a masters is essential in many fields
    Any employer that demands all job candidates have a masters is being incredibly short-sighted an naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

maybe because you've never tried to use it?
    Aren't u teaching in China?

As far as I know, a msc in computer science is one of the few postgrads that give u a good chance of getting an IT job, no?

:confused:

I worked in QA/automation/software engineering for over 10 years.

I live in China but I am a student learning Mandarin. I don't teach English.

In IT experience is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Tieko wrote: »
    I think experience will always win out over any masters. If you can get yourself an internship in the area you want to work, this will stand much too you that having another piece of paper. I also think it is better to gain experience in the area you want to to work before doing a masters as you can bring real industry experience to the course.

Ultimately it is up to you, but I have not come across many jobs that request candidates to have a masters, occasionally it may be listed 'as desirable', but trust me the person with the experience will nearly always get the job.

It depends on the area, but a maters is a minium for a lot of various positions in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

The field I want to get into is journalism - hold back the sniggers! What I'm trying to decide really is whether to intern at that, do an MA that would get me further along the road like international relations or qualify as a teacher which is what I'm doing at the moment.... Decisions, decisions!

The field I want to get into is journalism - hold back the sniggers!
    My missus works in communications and freelances as a medical writer, but she has done a bit journalism. I would say that a demonstrated ability to write articles is likely to be far more valuable to you than a masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Tieko

+1 to the comment above. An internship would be highly valuable to you, so you can put together a real porrtfolio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

The field I want to get into is journalism - hold back the sniggers! What I'm trying to decide really is whether to intern at that, do an MA that would get me further along the road like international relations or qualify as a teacher which is what I'm doing at the moment.... Decisions, decisions!

Word of warning: this is a terrible time to try and get into journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

Kinski wrote: »
    Word of warning: this is a terrible time to try and get into journalism.

I know.

But this is my third year teaching abroad.

I feel like I need to try anyway.

I love journalism of all kinds and I think I'm a pretty good writer. I've done short internships -just a couple of weeks each - with my local newspaper and the Irish Times so I have made some contacts but I just need an extra push. A proper go at it.

Some of my close friends are moving to Bristol which I hear is a pretty big media town so I'm thinking about trying to get a decent internship there after I get home rather than in Ireland.

Well, u already seem halfway down the road what with those internships u already have.

U say u're teaching abroad right now, maybe you could get a position with an english language magazine to get some experience in a place like Japan or wherever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

I did a MEng in Electronic Engineering. Biggest waste of a year in my life.

Had I started work when all the rest of my BEng class had I'd be on at least another 5-7k annually due to annual increments.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭38Flowers

I think any qualification, esp. post grad. qualification, is only going to be of benefit to you, if:
    - You have really thought about where you want it to lead you and have researched (through others who have completed same) where it has led them,how they financed it, how they managed their studies, and how they are getting on now re: earnings, job satisfaction, map out a detailed plan towards your goal, noting any mistakes they may have made and ensuring you avoid the same mistakes.
    - You understand thoroughly the jobs your Masters may lead you to in detail, the everyday stuff of the job.
    - Decide which of these jobs you would like to end up in, and start researching what you can do to aid your journey there e.g. where and how to get work experience related to it, maybe getting to know the right people in the field, etc.
    - You are determined with a serious motivation towards your goal.Determination will be a bigger factor than so many other things regarding your success in a field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 YellowPencil

I was asked once in an interview why I didn't do a masters, but I genuinely think the guy asking the question didn't give a damn that I hadn't and that was just my "awkward question". You know they way everyone gets one to see how you handle it. We moved along swiftly and everything was fine.

I think this thread had already run its course.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement