Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Crashes every round or 2

Options
  • 05-10-2011 6:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

OK cant figure this out. The game crashes every 2 rounds or so with no error message, just closes down.

I've done the whole UPNP bit, disabling on the router and closing the services on my PC etc. Also disabled CCC as I have an ATi card. Event manager isnt showing anything that I can see so am stumped.

Anyone else have the same problems, and if so did you find a fix? Wouldnt mind but it tends to crash when I'm having a good round!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

TheFairy wrote: »
    OK cant figure this out. The game crashes every 2 rounds or so with no error message, just closes down.

I've done the whole UPNP bit, disabling on the router and closing the services on my PC etc. Also disabled CCC as I have an ATi card. Event manager isnt showing anything that I can see so am stumped.

Anyone else have the same problems, and if so did you find a fix? Wouldnt mind but it tends to crash when I'm having a good round!

Exactly the same here Fairy.I ended up just giving up last night and turning off the pc for the night.Done teh same as yourself--disabled Upnp,tried hardwired,wireless.Turned off CCC.Even went as far as turing off anti virus and the firewall just in case.

Im stumped aswell.And totally pissed off.Its totally random aswell and as you say not even a "crash" as such.The game just stops and leaves you back on battle log page.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not a single crash here mate, ATI 6950.
    Probably stating the obvious but sound card/onboard sound drivers updated?
    Best of luck getting it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Having the same issue. ATI 5850.

I think I was starting to see a pattern last night. When I am waiting to respawn is when I notice crashes the most, just before or after I spawn in on a squad member, I seem to get a crash.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Lucutus wrote: »
    Having the same issue. ATI 5850.

I think I was starting to see a pattern last night. When I am waiting to respawn is when I notice crashes the most, just before or after I spawn in on a squad member, I seem to get a crash.

Think Fairy has the same card or maybe the 5870?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've had a few crashes, can't figure out why. Hasn't crashed on me in about 3/4 days now though.

Yep, it may be related, without any error or logs to check it's impossible to tell. However that thread over on the battlelog forums has users with (supposedly), the same problem with various cards, ATI and nVidia alike.

Hadnt considered sound drivers cully. Running a SB xFi card, so drivers are up to date with that, however I also have a realtek card enabled on my machine, this is only used for optical out to my Home Cinema Amp, that way my wife etc can watch a movie on TV connected without hearing my game sounds.

Underclocking card tongiht, from what I have read thats the only fix there is!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Definately update soundcard drivers.
    Also just for a random test try running in a lower resolution.

Underclocking the card seems a bit counter productive no? It's not like it's overheating or anything? Mine has respectable enough temps under load from BF3.

Will try the sound driver (onboard sound here, but using USB Corsair HS1 headset) and a lower res... wouldn't mind the extra fps anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Lucutus wrote: »
    Underclocking the card seems a bit counter productive no? It's not like it's overheating or anything? Mine has respectable enough temps under load from BF3.

Same here.Ive tried it on stock settings and its the same.Ive also tried underclocking and its the same.
    I can play any game for hours and without crashing--even played Crysis 2 a couple of weeks back on the exact same machine for about 6+ hours and it never crashed.

My opinion--its the beta software thats at fault and not everyones machine.
    Will try the sound driver (onboard sound here, but using USB Corsair HS1 headset) and a lower res... wouldn't mind the extra fps anyway :)

Thats the only thing I havent tried but its a new mobo with the latest drivers so Im assuming I have the latest.
    Will give it a shot later.

Lads are you on 32 or 64 windows? Some people have asked if windows is running out of free memory? Loathe to reinstall with win 64 as I have my media centre tweaked just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I'd had none of these crashes since the windows reinstall last weekend. for me i do still get FPS slowdowns in full screen mode from the metro station onwards after a couple of rounds. but I don't get dropped out as i did before. I've been playing in windowed mode

I found I had a lot of old drivers for a lot of hardware other than the vid card, but I also had a lot of clutter with many ATI driver patches over the past 2 years. (anyone with a logitec g series hardware, the new drivers are a lot better)

hopefully the finished product will squish the bugs.

it seems silly that there is not verbose logging and a crash reporting tool in the beta. it's almost like they don't want the bug reports and info.

SD.

TheFairy wrote: »
    Lads are you on 32 or 64 windows?

64bit here.

32 bit here.

However Ive just played about 8/9 rounds without a single crash--it was crashing every 2-3 rounds.

Dont know if this did it but I lowered my sound card settings to 16bit (it was at 24 bit) and lowered the sampling rate to 44.1k (it was at 96k)
    Doesnt really make any difference since Im only using a stereo headset anyway.

Ive already got the latest drivers for the sound card and latest Ati drivers.

Didnt touch the gpu settings--still slightly o/c to 900/1250 on a 5770.

Might be worth a try for anyone getting these random crashes.

Closed everything else running there, even the browser after the game session was started up and I got 2.5 rounds but then game crashed. From what I've seen DICE are making no attempt whatsoever to address these issues. Thinking that maybe the final game might be bug ridden as well!

OK in an attempt to get to the bottom of the totally random crashes thousands of users are experiencing I've created a survey to help maybe get to the bottom of the problem. Please fill in what details you can and if enough people complete the survey I can forward onto Dice to help solve the problem!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BWP2HCS

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Done, this crashing is driving me mad

The survey didnt really find any one type of system or rig that was experiencing crashes. It was affecting intel and amd processors and ati and nvidia gpu's.

What I did find was that you should uninstall your gpu drivers via control panel. Then reboot and let windows 7 install its basic driver. Then install the beta drivers. This has nearly solved the problem for me. I still get crashes every 4 or 5 rounds but not as bad as before.

I think (hope) ive actually solved my problem. I have to 8800 GTX cards in SLI, I disabled SLI and it hasn't crashed since! Bit annoying but at least i can play a few rounds! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

well im running 2 4870s in sli and have little or no crashes.

I'm sure its just a driver issue or the old beta code. Will be grand on launch! Getting a new card anyway :)

Advertisement