Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vdv !!

Options
  • 05-10-2011 8:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

this guy is beginning to annoy me

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11675_7225053,00.html

its all "me me me, i should be played wherever i want, i should be given freedom of the park etc"

he is just a one man player that thinks he is better than he is - i appreciate he is a good man to score goals and important ones at that but he is nothing like a team player - no wonder jose wouldnt keep him

he says his best position is centre midfield but he dosent like tracking anyone back - does he not see what parker and modric spend most of the game doing ??? tracking back and making tackles

this says it all

"Arsenal's left-back was continually moving upfield and I'm not the type of player who consistently runs after opponents"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

I have to agree, the guy is overated, especialy by himself. He never seems to be fit and was at fault for the goal conceded on Sunday. The team looked much more solid when he was replaced by Sandro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Are you guys for real....?
    The guy scores a goal every two games, who was our last striker to do that?
    Is he a luxury we can afford? Yes!
    Ideally in a 4-4-Vdv-1 formation. He scores and creates more goals than JD ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Are you guys for real....?
    The guy scores a goal every two games, who was our last striker to do that?
    Is he a luxury we can afford? Yes!
    Ideally in a 4-4-Vdv-1 formation. He scores and creates more goals than JD ever did.

yes as i said he does score goals so off the front man is where is best - but even then he roams the field and tires himself out because he thinks he is so good that he should be in every position and doing everyones job.

he is not a team player and will never really fit into any team.

if he just sat off the front man all day then he would be very very good but until he does that and stops roaming and trying to boss everything then im not a fan

when luca gets put on the wing for any number of reasons do you see him whining about it?

when kaboul gets asked to play centre mid field does he whine ?

no as they are team players

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

mickman wrote: »
    when luca gets put on the wing for any number of reasons do you see him whining about it?

when kaboul gets asked to play centre mid field does he whine ?

no as they are team players

Yeh I think thats the issue. VDV is good most of the time and great sometimes but his attitude is terrible. I think thats why he was so cheap and no1 was really interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

If you ask me its a great headache to have for the manager to have..
    we should be happy to have a player of his quality in the side wherever he plays if he wants to bitch and moan let him off as long as he does the biz on the pitch..

With all due respect you... I honestly can't believe the "his attitude is terrible" or "i'm not a fan" comments...

To be fair to the bloke he has had a hamstring injury since last December and he has never been a natural winger so we probably shouldn't expect him to keep on the heels of Arsenals full back for 90mins... What he contributes to the team when 90% fit no other Totenham midfielder has contributed is many seasons... Creativity, goals and passion...

Re: Attitiude - He loved scoring that goal on Sunday as he did the two goals against Arsenal last season not to mention the continued abundance of goals and assists. 100% fit he is back to his form as a young player at Ajax.

Admittedly its frustrating to see him dropping so deep and losing position but come on, seriously, who would you rather have Jason Dozzell? ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd agree with his that he doesn't suit the right, but talking to the press about it is stupid. Bring it up with Harry directly...who will probably then bring it up with the press himself...hmm, i see the problem is here. STOP TALKING TO THE PRESS!

Question though, have we played 4-4-1-1 with VDV and Ade this season?

Rafael van der Vaart hopes he will not be asked to play on the wing regularly and does not believe Harry Redknapp should have spoken about his recent injury.

The Dutchman lined up on the right flank against Arsenal in Sunday's north London derby and admits he did not enjoy the defensive side of the job.

He believes he is more effective in a central role further forward, where he can more frequently take up positions like he did for Tottenham's opening goal on Sunday.

Van der Vaart insists he will continue to play anywhere for the side but has made his feelings quite clear about Redknapp's current strategy.

"I have definitely had a series of irritations. You want to play in the position where you do best," he said in The Sun.

"But if I have to chase after an attacking full-back every time, I can't play my own game to my best ability.

"Sunday was not the first time I have played out wide and I was given the freedom to move infield. But you could see from the goal I scored that my strength lies in the centre of midfield.

"It proves that I am more dangerous when I am close to the goal than when I play out on the wing. I do what the manager asks me to but I hope this won't be a regular occurrence."

Mistake

Van der Vaart was also unhappy that Redknapp decided to substitute him in the 63rd minute and bring on Sandro to reinforce the midfield.

Redknapp has stated that he regularly takes Van der Vaart off because there is a 'weakness in his hamstrings', a remark the 28-year-old wishes the manager had kept to himself.

"In my opinion he made a mistake in making his comments about my most recent injury," said Van der Vaart.

"He took me off because he did not want to take any risks with me. I can understand that but I am convinced I could have played for 90 minutes.

"I was amazed to be taken off. I felt I'd played a great game. I scored and also three times put team-mates in one-on-ones with Arsenal's keeper.

"But I could perhaps understand it from a tactical viewpoint. Arsenal's left-back was continually moving upfield and I'm not the type of player who consistently runs after opponents."

Bad losers

Van der Vaart has also criticised Arsenal for taking their defeat on Sunday with bad grace, following suggestions that his goal should not have stood and that he should have received a second yellow card for celebrating with the crowd.

"They are bad losers. No, it was not handball - I took the ball on my chest," he said.

"And have you seen how close the crowd is to our pitch? Where else should I run?

To me that attitude stinks, particularly going public about it. Passion is not the same as attitude. Ofcourse he would be delighted to score goals against Arsenal, who wouldnt? Who wouldnt celebrate like the way he did. That doesnt mean his attitude is fantastic. His quotes in the above article shows that his attitude stinks. Not in anyway close to Tevez's but it doesnt show him as a team player in the slightest.

On top of that, I think that Redknapp and all the typical spurs staff who blab on to Sky Sports/media needs to give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

we've not played both of them up front yet..why i don't know:confused:

• Advertisement

we've not played both of them up front yet..why i don't know:confused:

He did against Wigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd like to see a 4-4-1-1 but 'Arry loves "the little fella"

With all due respect you... I honestly can't believe the "his attitude is terrible" or "i'm not a fan" comments...

To be fair to the bloke he has had a hamstring injury since last December and he has never been a natural winger so we probably shouldn't expect him to keep on the heels of Arsenals full back for 90mins... What he contributes to the team when 90% fit no other Totenham midfielder has contributed is many seasons... Creativity, goals and passion...

Re: Attitiude - He loved scoring that goal on Sunday as he did the two goals against Arsenal last season not to mention the continued abundance of goals and assists. 100% fit he is back to his form as a young player at Ajax.

Admittedly its frustrating to see him dropping so deep and losing position but come on, seriously, who would you rather have Jason Dozzell? ;)

He loved scoring that goal cos it put him in the news, not cos it wud help the team

You think he contributes more than modric ? Not a chance, he scored more goals and that's cos most games he plays off the front man usually But in terms of overall play then he is way off

He had said a few times that he loved spurs etc. This is because he sees himself as the big fish in a small pond. He was a nobody at Madrid and he didn't like it one bit

As another post said no one else was interested in him. If ac Milan are genuinely interested , sell him in my opinion

He loved scoring that goal cos it put him in the news, not cos it wud help the team

You think he contributes more than modric ? Not a chance, he scored more goals and that's cos most games he plays off the front man usually But in terms of overall play then he is way off

He had said a few times that he loved spurs etc. This is because he sees himself as the big fish in a small pond. He was a nobody at Madrid and he didn't like it one bit

As another post said no one else was interested in him. If ac Milan are genuinely interested , sell him in my opinion
    By the way when away from home I think we should play 4-4-1-1 with sandro and Parker in middle and Luca / vdv behind ade

At home 4-4-2 with Defoe up with ade

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Pros - Experienced, Great ability, good goalscorer, very skillful.
    Cons - Lazy, poor attitude at times, cocky ****er.

Summary, I'd rather have him in the squad than not.

Sell him? I give up!

Sell him? I give up!

if offered 12 million then sell him

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

I wouldn't be overly worried about the press quotes. Dutch players tend to be pretty outspoken and self-centred in how they look at situations. On the pitch, he has to be close to goal.One option is to play wing backs and two holding midfielders, making room for him and Modric to play where they can hurt teams

Friedel
    Walker King Kaboul Bale
    Sandro
    Modric
    VDV
    Lennon/Defoe/Pav
    Adebayor

I'd love to see Lennon in a free role up front with Adebayor. Another option would be to play BAE/Ro9se at LB, and play Bale up

Friedel
    Kaboul Kaboul King BAE/Rose
    Sandro Parker
    VDV Modric Bale
    Adebayor

The point is, there are a numbe rof ways of getting our best players on the pitch. VDV was sensational in big matches last season, against Inter and Arsenal in particular. Free him up and demand goals and assists from him. Sandro starting alongside Parker should be the starting point. Those two will be the envy of the league when they settle properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

The problem with Van De Vaart in the team is that the goals seem to dry up.
    He would need to be banging in a lot of goals to give him the freedom not to track back.
    Harry could use him as an impact sub until he gets his fitness level up.
    He hasn't got his place in the Dutch squad that has been taken by Dirk Kuyt
    who has no problem tracking back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

i agree with both arguments here. when he is good he is amazing lads, come on.

as hatch said id rather have him in the squad than not. so i disagree with selling him. i believe he is our all time topr scorer against ARSEnal now??? correct me if im wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DamienKilmurray

keane=cock wrote: »
    i agree with both arguments here. when he is good he is amazing lads, come on.

as hatch said id rather have him in the squad than not. so i disagree with selling him. i believe he is our all time topr scorer against ARSEnal now??? correct me if im wrong there.

Billy Minter and the great Bobby Smith are our all time top scorers in North London Derbys against Arsenal with 9 goals each. Van Der Vaart is the top scorer against them in the current squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Van De Vaart has played 43 games ( and probably most of them never the full 90 mins) ...he has scored 18 goals for Spurs in those games ...almost one every other game ...To say he is not a team player just because he is peeved because he was taken off is garbage . Any manager wants his players annoyed when taken off . This is blown out of all proportion by the press as they have shag all to knock Spurs with at the moment . To see if he is a squad player and how he interacts with the rest of the team , witness the celebrations and reactions of other players. look at any pics of the training ground... Van De Vaart seems to be the leader ..I think he is a winner , and a real brain on the pitch . Of course he has faults ,what player doesn't . But for me he has been instrumental in our success since he joined and definitely hugely important in the Champs league campaign last year . I do accept that we had a prob fitting him in last year and the system played by harry did not always work , but we need him . A class act ...

Billy Minter and the great Bobby Smith are our all time top scorers in North London Derbys against Arsenal with 9 goals each. Van Der Vaart is the top scorer against them in the current squad.

Nice knowledge, I reckon Vdv is the top scorer against Arsenal in the EPL?
    Goal Machine, a legend in the making!

yeah he is a man for the big game in fairness - i will give him that but he just tries to do too much

he needs to say " im only one man and need to stay in position" - when he starts to roam then he is totally wasted .

he needs to reliase he is part of a very good team and is a team member , its not the van der vaart show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Keep him, yes he is a luxury player but chances are Defoe will hit a barren patch, get sent off or pick up a knock. I think VDV and ade have shown some good link up the time they have been on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Keep him, yes he is a luxury player but chances are Defoe will hit a barren patch, get sent off or pick up a knock. I think VDV and ade have shown some good link up the time they have been on the pitch.

As a famous man once said it's the bad players who are the luxury.;)
    I'd start VDV every week up front with Adebayor and leave Defoe where he belongs on the bench.

The fact that we are questioning VDV's value to the team does show how far we've come. It wasn't all that long ago we were asking similar questions about Gary Doherty and Andy Booth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

i think thats what i meant but the knowledge is good above!!:D

keane=cock wrote: »

i think thats what i meant but the knowledge is good above!!:D

After today I'm going to change my stance on rafa. Hid class was the difference today and won us a huge 3 points

He is scoring really important goals these days and always steps up when he is needed for penalties etc

Defoe wudnt have got two today I'd say so hats off to rafa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Fair play. In Rafa we trust :D

Advertisement