Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse tax

Options
  • 05-10-2011 8:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39

Hey ! need to know if there is anything like horse tax in Ireland ? Also could you tell me anything about horse insurance ? Thank you .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

There's no horse tax in Ireland (and let's not be giving the powers that be any ideas... :p).

Re. the insurance: it depends on what type of insurance you want. Is it to insure the horse against injury? Is it to cover you riding your horse and those belonging to others? Do you want a policy to insure you and your horse while competing? BHS and Allianz offer good policies. I'm sure there are others that posters here will tell you about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Lera Manukovskaya

Thank you . What do i need when buying a horse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

You will need a bit of money anyway. Also if the horse isn't registered you will have to get him marked and chipped, and then register him to get a passport. Legally every horse is supposed to have one, but some people still don't bother to register foals if they aren't worth too much. Your local vet will sort it out for you.

Thank you . Do you know any good horse tack web sites ?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

Got an excellent second-hand saddle from dublintack. Didn't buy it online though, went to visit and sat on a few.
    I buy most of my other bits and pieces from equestrianclearance. They're very reliable and have some great offers.

• Advertisement

Thank you. Have any1 heard about triequestrian ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Tri is good, I have heard one or two not great things about dublin tack. Avoid joust like the plague, cheap imported indian leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭JimDeChamp

Tri are ok, decent selection but can be a little bit on the expensive side for certin things...!

Thank you!

Should i microchip my horse or leave it with just a passport?

• Advertisement

Should i microchip my horse or leave it with just a passport?

I think all horses are supposed to be microchipped now, and most bodies, such as Show Jumping Ireland, require a horse to be chipped before competing.

Re tack: have a look at adverts.ie as there's usually some equestrian related items for sale on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

donedeal.ie is good for horsey stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭JimDeChamp

If the horse has a passport it should be chipped, normally you would chip them when your doing a marking kit, I'd be very surprised if a horse has a passport and is not chipped...

Older horses may not be chipped as they were foaled before the chipping programme came into existence. It doesn't necessarily mean there's anything untoward about it. However, I would be slightly concered if the horse was under ten and not chipped, especially if they're supposed to have competed.

Advertisement