Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From zero - Turf Guy in 30 days?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

So I've just committed to doing the Turf Guy in Leenane, Connemara on November 5th, 30 days away.

The thing is, I haven't ran consistently in about 10 years :o

So I best get training then!

Am I mad giving myself only 30 days to get ready for a 10k run through muck, streams and tackling obstacles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Go out for a run tonight - at a very slow and easy pace - and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

RayCun wrote: »
    Go out for a run tonight - at a very slow and easy pace - and see how you get on.

Sorry I should've added I went for a run last night, around the local loop of estates and pitches, if felt like a long run, but when I drove the same journey it only came to 1.6miles / 2.6km's :D

Oh, and it took me 14.11.

I'll do the same tonight and post up how it goes :)

EDIT: For what it's worth:

I'm male, 5.8" and 10st 12lb (lost half a stone through food poisining earlier in the summer that I haven't managed to put back on)

Run more slowly than that tonight.

Run more slowly than that tonight.

Hmmmmm, I think the fact that there was torrential rain maybe didn't help me, as I knocked a minute off the time, and I thought I was doing similar pace as to night before.

So I did it in 13.10.

Although calfs are stinging a bit this morning.

I think I'll give tonight a break with the running, maybe do a few weights or something.

Anybody any advice on what exactly I should be doing to get ready for it?

Col200sx wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, I think the fact that there was torrential rain maybe didn't help me, as I knocked a minute off the time, and I thought I was doing similar pace as to night before.
    Anybody any advice on what exactly I should be doing to get ready for it?

Yes. Run more slowly. :)

You have four weeks to train to run 10k, and at the moment all you can do is 2.5k. So run more slowly, and gradually increase the distance.
    You could have a look at a training plan to get an idea for a weekly routine, but you don't have time for a proper plan. You are very unlikely to run 10k at the pace you ran the last two nights. You will almost certainly be slower. And you need to increase the distance.
    So slow down, and run further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I think I'll give tonight a break with the running, maybe do a few weights or something.

Not sure what the benefits of weights would be at this stage for a 10k run. If you want to do something how about dedicate some time to stretching as your body will appreciate it after your recent return to running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

EC1000 wrote: »
    Not sure what the benefits of weights would be at this stage for a 10k run. If you want to do something how about dedicate some time to stretching as your body will appreciate it after your recent return to running.

TurfGuy is more than a 10K run, the course description involves a lot of climbing and jumping, so training should probably involve some pull-ups etc.

Yes. Run more slowly. :)

You have four weeks to train to run 10k, and at the moment all you can do is 2.5k. So run more slowly, and gradually increase the distance.
    You could have a look at a training plan to get an idea for a weekly routine, but you don't have time for a proper plan. You are very unlikely to run 10k at the pace you ran the last two nights. You will almost certainly be slower. And you need to increase the distance.
    So slow down, and run further.

Ok, thanks. I'll aim for a longer stint so and I'll run slower. I'll increase the distance and see how I get on :)
    EC1000 wrote: »

I'm doing stretches before the run already, should I do some on return?
    hardCopy wrote: »
    TurfGuy is more than a 10K run, the course description involves a lot of climbing and jumping, so training should probably involve some pull-ups etc.

Ya there's quite a few obsticles, climbing up ropes, jumping over trees, giong through streams. I reckon the cold alone will zap a lot of energy.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do shuttle runs, exercises that involve jumping, squats, lunges, burpees. Bodyweight exercises, pushups, corework, pullups. Include hill reps in your running. Run xc on varied terrain, to get your ankles used to that. Do high intensity stuff to get your heart racing rather than just steady state running. This kind of event will be short run sections interspersed with assault like challenges that will push your body in a different way. A bit like interval training, so imo thats what you need to be doing in training.

Has been a few days since I updated this thread, but over the weekend I spent 2 days working on a car (doing heavy work too), so that ruled me out of running over the weekend as I was shattered after it.

So back on track last night. I ran 5.2 kilometres, and did it in 28.28. I slowed down compared to previous pace, and was happy with how it went.

I felt I could easily have gone further, but think I'd rather increase the distance consistently than go hell for leather and be wrecked for 4/5 days after.

So this morning, only a little bit stiff getting out of bed, but within half an hour I'm feeling fine again.

Thanks all for the help/advice. If people don't mind I'll keep this thread updated throughout the month to keep up with my progress and finally on November 5th tackling the Turf Guy 2011 :)

• Advertisement

No problem, but I'll move it into Training Logs instead...

Net access has been limited over the last week, so only chance to update this now.

On the plus side, I did that same 5.2km run again, and this time upped the pace, did it in 27.40. And I've been doing weights in between every second night, alrernating between leg and upper body exercises.

But I did notice a slight twinge on my right heel after my last run.

This got worse over the few days so I didn't run, but I went out today thinking it just needed to be loosened up a bit.

I could only manage 2.6km at a very slow pace, 15.03 in fact, and I had to give up. I felt like I limped through the whole run. My heel is killing me from it, i've been hobbling since I came in, and it feels like I can barely walk, never mind run :(

I don't know what to do, maybe get on my bike to keep the legs moving, as there's not much pressure on the heel, or give it a few days?

Turf Guy is 17 days away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Net access has been limited over the last week, so only chance to update this now.

On the plus side, I did that same 5.2km run again, and this time upped the pace, did it in 27.40. And I've been doing weights in between every second night, alrernating between leg and upper body exercises.

But I did notice a slight twinge on my right heel after my last run.

This got worse over the few days so I didn't run, but I went out today thinking it just needed to be loosened up a bit.

I could only manage 2.6km at a very slow pace, 15.03 in fact, and I had to give up. I felt like I limped through the whole run. My heel is killing me from it, i've been hobbling since I came in, and it feels like I can barely walk, never mind run :(

I don't know what to do, maybe get on my bike to keep the legs moving, as there's not much pressure on the heel, or give it a few days?

Turf Guy is 17 days away.

Best off getting a physio to look at it. I don't think I've ever come through a training plan without some kind of niggle but I've never had a physio tell me to pull out of an event, they should be able to help you work through it.

Hope it goes well.

Another update. My heel had still been sore up until this week. I realised my running shoes had done the damage.

But with learning some stretches on youtube, they've made it improve quite a lot.

So bought a pair of Asics and got out for a run last night. I forgot my watch so have no time, but I ran approx 8km with a couple of friends, and having them there was good as there was more motivation to keep going.

So that was effectively my first time running in two weeks.

Last weekend I did 3 times out on the bike as that didn't affect my heel.

Did a 10 mile, 16mile and 20 mile cycle, with plenty of inclines in each one, just to keep the legs and lungs going.

My heel again is a bit tender after last night's run, so at this rate I don't know if I'll get in another long run before Turf Guy, the last thing I want is on the morning to be in any sort of pain.

Turf Guy is 8 days away, I just hope it doesn't freeze between now and then.

Not much to update in the last week really, other than the fact that my heel is still sore, but has improved as the week went on.

But I haven't chanced running just in case I make it worse. So my next run will be TG itself on Saturday.

There was approx 7 in our group doing it, but for one reason or another, we're down to 3 including myself.

I've been told that finishing it in less than 3 hours I should be happy. I've no idea how to gauge it as I've never done anything like this before, but I'm going to give it a good craic and see how it goes.

So, Turf Guy '11 is 2 days away......

So just crashing to bed with Turf Guy kicking off for me at 11am.

So a 7am start, and fingers crossed all goes ok, wish me luck :)

I'll post up my result in the evening.

So the results......

I finished it, and did it in 2hours 46mins. And my heel didn't hurt me at all, although every other muscle in my body did :D

It was brilliant, much tougher than I expected. Some very hard obstacles, especially when you were dripping from head to toe in mud that you just crawled through.

The hardest part was definitely the cold, in and out of ravines, swimming down streams, and finally a 100metre swim in Killary Fjord (which I found out is Europe's deepest fjord!!!!).

Really tough day, but I'm chuffed with my result.

I enjoyed it so much I think I'll be back for more.

Thanks all for the help and advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 templeville

hey there, i did the turf guy challenge on saturday, it was great craic, tough going but definitely doing it again, must train for the next one, serious amount of muck, great sense of achievement at the end of it, rollon next year

:)

Ya it was tough alright, next time round I'll train more, but as said above my heel injury effectively took away more than half my training time.

Was great craic, very tough, but a great sense of achievement as you say.

Roll on 2012 :D

Advertisement