Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Intruder alarm detect dog?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

You know the normal, indoor PIR sensors, will they be triggered by a 20Kg dog?

I am probably gonna have to just turn it on with dog in situ to test, but am worried I'd scare the bejaysus out of him if he set the alarm off.

Thanks,
    deandean.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

yes he will trigger it, no question.

Have u not got a 'walk' test option on the panel to check, not that you need to:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Carlow52 wrote: »
    yes he will trigger it, no question.

Have u not got a 'walk' test option on the panel to check, not that you need to:)

D'oh! Never thought of that, many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

you can mask the pir cover to adapt it to become a pet friendly pir, or you could just buy a pet lens'd pir from a wholesaler

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If he is going to have the run of the house you could always use the part set when he's in,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Mask off the bottom of the beam with tape. It might take a bit of trial and error to get it right but it'll work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Depending on where the PIR is masking it off might not work. If the PIR is facing stairs, anything the dog can get up on it will still activated the alarm. If not the masking will work. Partset with your entry/exit timer might be the best solution if it is.

you can mask the pir cover to adapt it to become a pet friendly pir, or you could just buy a pet lens'd pir from a wholesaler

There's actually a log on the alarm that I found today and just as you were saying Carlow52, sure enough the dog is detected.

I haven't heard of the masking idea before, and as suggested I am gonna try mask the chinny-chin-chin ope in the PIR, and see if I can get the system not to detect the dog. I will post how I get on, this must be a common enough problem.

Many thanks:):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Arent there "pet friendly" PIRS on the market though???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

paddy147 wrote: »
    Arent there "pet friendly" PIRS on the market though???
    There are ,but they might not suit a big dog,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

deandean wrote: »
    There's actually a log on the alarm that I found today and just as you were saying Carlow52, sure enough the dog is detected.

I haven't heard of the masking idea before, and as suggested I am gonna try mask the chinny-chin-chin ope in the PIR, and see if I can get the system not to detect the dog. I will post how I get on, this must be a common enough problem.

Many thanks:):)

If I were, and I am not, an insurance assessor doing a post-burglary assessment where the alarm was part of the policy conditions and it needed to comply with DIN Vorsprung Durch Technik bla bla and I saw a masked PIR.......

• Advertisement

Thanks all for your input, yea Carlow52 the insurance policy stuff is actually why I've had to sort out the problem: nowadays, alarm unset + break-in = denial of claim with most/all insurers once your alarm is mentioned on the policy.

I'm using the part set option when the dog's at home (masking the PIRs reminds me too much of that film about Cahill where they robbed the paintings LOL) and will check out the pet-friendly PIR option in time.

Deandean.

Advertisement