Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network Advice

Options
  • 05-10-2011 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

I have a tricky home network problem and need advice (or a complete solution)

We have 8 users (different ages needing different access restriction)

There are 28 devices all on network and with Internet access (Laptop x 6, Desktop x 2, Nintendo DS x 5, PS3 x 3, Media Players x 3, Phone x 4, Kindle, iPad x 2, XBox, DVR)

The broadband is 10MB with 250GB per month allowance.

What I need is a solution that will allow me to:

A). Apply internet access restrictions per user (with multiple devices). These ideally should allow access based on age (similar to OpenDNS), time (from XXam to XXPM and limit to XX hours per day.

B). Provide good QoS management. User A downloading torrents currently prevents User B playing PS3.

C). Provide a fixed monthly/daily download allowance per user (with multiple devices)

D). Provide quality reporting. (ManageEngine Netflow Analyser on a dd-wrt router is a great example)

Is this possible at a reasonable cost? Suggestions Ideas??

Cheers,
    E

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

http://www.wi-pipe.com/rb750gl-p-387.html
    Most of this is possible with this, but how good is your networking or scripting knowledge? This is an amazing piece of kit but not at all ordinary user friendly.
    Lots of help on the forums if you ask: http://forum.mikrotik.com/

As there are multiple types of devices you'd only be able to limit by device mac address, not by user, but you could possibly group devices

• Registered Users Posts: 35 emcnamee

Thanks. Just ordered MikroTik RB751U from wi-pipe. Now to brush up on RouterOS :-(

E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

emcnamee wrote: »
    Thanks. Just ordered MikroTik RB751U from wi-pipe. Now to brush up on RouterOS :-(

E

Nice, I'm waiting on the gigabit version RB751 (RB751G) to be released myself.

Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement