Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

macys.com

Options
  • 05-10-2011 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

has anyone had a bad exerience returning an item buoght online at macys.com..i am having a nightmare experience trying to return 2 items valued at approx us$50..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Why are you returning them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 choccos

Their terms and conditions state EU customers have cooling off period of 7 days to cancel order (no reason required) and I cancelled on day 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Won't it cost you most of the $50 to post them back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,418 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Do EU regulations count when buying from the US?

"European Union Customers
    All European Union customers have a right to back out of a purchase within 7 days of completing the transaction (e.g. placing the order on the website). If a European Union customer cancels their order during this 7-day period, FiftyOne will reimburse the customer for the cost of the products(s) AND any extra fees (e.g. shipping) paid by customer to receive the item. FiftyOne can, however, charge the customer for cost of shipping goods back to FiftyOne. Reimbursement by FiftyOne wil be within 30 days."

Extract from macys.com website.
    I have now received approx 10 to 15 emails from their customer services each one advising something different eg. i would get full refund and would not be charged cost of shipping back, i would be charged cost of shipping back, i would only be charged cost of shipping to me etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,418 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Seems only fair that you would be liable for the shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

choccos wrote: »
    "European Union Customers
    All European Union customers have a right to back out of a purchase within 7 days of completing the transaction (e.g. placing the order on the website). If a European Union customer cancels their order during this 7-day period, FiftyOne will reimburse the customer for the cost of the products(s) AND any extra fees (e.g. shipping) paid by customer to receive the item. FiftyOne can, however, charge the customer for cost of shipping goods back to FiftyOne. Reimbursement by FiftyOne wil be within 30 days."

Extract from macys.com website.
    I have now received approx 10 to 15 emails from their customer services each one advising something different eg. i would get full refund and would not be charged cost of shipping back, i would be charged cost of shipping back, i would only be charged cost of shipping to me etc

You misread those terms and conditions. The first bit in bold means they will reimburse you for the delivery costs You paid to receive the item. The second bit in bold tells you quite clearly you have to pay the cost of sending the goods back if they choose to make you.

I have posted below email received by me from Macys on the 26.9.2011. As a new user to boards.ie I don't understand why people would waste their time responding to threads simply for the purposes of "I told you so.." or "Bad luck..just pay up"

Dear xxx,

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding order xxxxx.

Please accept my sincere apology for the delay in responding to your
    e-mail. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

After reviewing your order, it does show that DHL has record of you
    refusing delivery on 9/19/2011. Unfortunately, your shipment is still in
    Ireland and has not been shipped back to FiftyOne yet. Once they receive
    your return, then you will receive the credit for your return. I have
    noted on your account to issue a full refund when the return is
    processed. I am very sorry for your frustration with your online
    experience with us.

I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. If you have
    any further questions, please e-mail us at
    internationalcustomerservice@macys.com.

Sincerely,

<SNIP>
    Internet Customer Service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

choccos wrote: »
    I have posted below email received by me from Macys on the 26.9.2011. As a new user to boards.ie I don't understand why people would waste their time responding to threads simply for the purposes of "I told you so.." or "Bad luck..just pay up"

As a long term user of Boards, I'm still baffled by people that start threads saying they have a problem with a company, when clearly they don't. You have been given all the information you need, it's stated clearly in the email you received. You will receive your refund once the goods are returned. You left this very important piece of information out at the start of the thread, and asked irrelevant and misleading questions about the situation.

You didn't actually return the goods to the seller, you refused delivery. It is now up to DHL as to what they do with it, and how long it takes, and you have no influence over this. If you have the tracking info you can see when it gets sent back, and when it is received. Your refund will not come before that. If DHL charge for the return shipping cost, you may be liable for this under both EU consumer law and Macy's terms.

I received full refund from macys today so thanks to all who contributed constructive feedback :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What is the story with taxes and duty coming into Ireland with buying from Macy's?

Does the price they charge at the checkout cover those charges or do you have to pay up at the door when your stuff arrives?

THERE IS NO CUSTOMS DUTY IF ORDER UNDER €150.00. AS PER REVENUE GUIDLELINES ELSE 12% (depending on type of good/service..)

THERE IS NO VAT IF ORDER UNDER €22.00. AS PER REVENUE GUIDLELINES ELSE 21% (depending on type of good/service)

[URL="wlmailhtml:{8108108B-B074-4B9B-813C-5CC0EBBCE416}mid://00000056/!x-usc:http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1882.html"]http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1882.html[/URL]

“C. Consignments of Negligible Value

Consignments not exceeding a total value of €150 may be imported from outside the EU without payment of Customs Duty, while consignments not exceeding a total value of €22 may be imported without payment of VAT. However, there is no relief (from Customs Duty, Excise Duty, other duties or VAT) under this negligible value provision for importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcohol products, perfumes or toilet waters irrespective of their value.
    Where the Customs Duty on a consignment of goods amounts to less than €10 it will not be collected. Similarly, VAT liability amounting to less than or equal to €6 will not be collected. No similar rule applies in the case of Excise Duty which will always be collected on products liable to it.”

Advertisement