Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wooden panelling or laminate for bathroom?

• 05-10-2011 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I was hoping to clad two of my bathroom walls with boards or wooden panels, scandinavian style-the room is fairly big, 3m by 2.6 sqre, and well aired, and ill be fitting an extractor. The shower area is tiled and in the corner away from the proposed timbered walls, and I was looking initially at pvc panelling like grosfillex, but dont like the overly plastic appearance. So I thought about straightforward laminated boards. Question is, will i face a problem with mould and warping over time? Should i seal the boards and what with? Is this just a bad idea in the first place?
    Regards
    J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Bad idea i would have thought.
    Even in a well ventilated bathroom there will still be a huge amount of moisture. The laminate over time will just peel away and swell. Only marine ply won't swell but you don’t partially want that on your walls!

Good link below for you:

http://www.homeimprovementpages.com.au/article/timber_bathrooms

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Arcadia1

John, thanks for the link and the advice. Last year I salvaged a load of teak planks, tongue and grooved, from an old container that was lying around. They appear to be untreated and come up nicely with sanding. Wouldnt these be resistant, with sealing, to bathroom moisture?

Advertisement