Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pinning Boards.ie to the Taskbar

Options
  • 05-10-2011 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭

Seems as Boards.ie isnt tuned to Internet Explorer 9.

One of the new features that came out was pinning websites to the taskbar and by right click being able to access a quick jump list for certain parts

i.e. Hotmail and other sites have this

176876.png

now this what boards.ie gives :(

176875.png

It would be useful if you could jump into subscriptions, inbox and other stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Interesting, didn't know about this feature (not an IE user). Here's some more info on implementing:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg491732%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Also forgot to mention you can get notifications activated as well :)

So make your website into more like an application like experience.

I think it would be quite handy for subscirptions feature and pm's on boards.ie

177132.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You use Internet Explorer ...why? :(

You use Internet Explorer ...why? :(

You dont use Internet Explorer ? Why?

I dont think thats the point of this thread. I like IE9. Its nice fast and elegant. It also uses alot less power than other browsers so it doesnt drain the battery as fast.

You dont use Internet Explorer ? Why?

Because it's rendering engine is hideous, quirky and a pain to develop for, but as you said - it's beside the point :) Would still be a nice feature to implement, for you browser heathens :p

• Advertisement

Because it's rendering engine is hideous, quirky and a pain to develop for, but as you said - it's beside the point :) Would still be a nice feature to implement, for you browser heathens :p

Wouldnt have a clue weather IE9 is hard for developers or not?

IE8 was crap and would never used it. But once i tried IE9 it seemed to run content nicely and smoothly :)

Havent had a problem with IE9 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I notice FF latest (not sure what frackin' version it is this week) has similar "Frequent" and "Tasks" sections. Chrome similar. If anyone has sample code to implement cross browser, throw it up :)

Windows-Only I think, I don't see anything on FF for Mac to do with Frequent/Tasks and I'm running FF7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

This has been done.

So while we may mock you IE users for your choice of browser, never let it be said that we don't show you the love.

This has been done.

So while we may mock you IE users for your choice of browser, never let it be said that we don't show you the love.

Hehe well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I tired this just now on Vista and couldn't get it to work. Then realised - this is for Windows 7/IE9 only right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

It's IE 9 and Windows 7 only I'm afraid. AFAIK from my limited use of vista it doesn't allow you to 'pin' items to the taskbar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yup, you're correct. Vista doesn't support it.

But I read the popup on the front page a few times - saying IE9 (no mention of Win 7). I thought that maybe there's some feature I haven't seen yet in IE9. After a couple minutes trying to figure it out, I re-read the OP and I realised it was Win7.

Might be worth while to mention IE9/Win 7 in the popup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

We've rolled out a change to the browser detection so that the popup won't be displayed to Vista users.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement