Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nobel Prize for Literature 2011

Options
  • 05-10-2011 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

Tomorrow afternoon the name of the latest writer to be made a Nobel Laureate will be announced.

Betting on this is truly a mug's game, but for what it's worth, the current favorite with Ladbroke's is Syrian poet Adonis, who I've never heard of let alone read. Familiar names like Murakami Haruki, Cormac McCarthy, Philip Roth, and, er, Bob Dylan (wtf?) are also mentioned as possible contenders.

I've not the slightest clue who'll win, but just for fun I'm going to tip Israeli novelist Amos Oz. Anyone have any other suggestions or preferences?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The Nobel prize is a funny thing. Phillip Roth is a highly regarded and prolific author who would overnight become immortal if he won the Nobel prize. At the moment he is just considered on the higher scale of literary talent. So without even reading the man, I would be forced to consider him a genius if he won.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Dylan's been on the shortlist for years, but was never given a chance. The bookies have just slashed his odds, making him by far the favourite, so it's looks like he's going to win.

I happen to believe he's up there with Picasso and Joyce as one of the great artists of the 20th century - but it would be the most controversial Nobel decision in quite a while if he gets it.

It depends on your definition of literature I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Denerick wrote: »
    The Nobel prize is a funny thing. Phillip Roth is a highly regarded and prolific author who would overnight become immortal if he won the Nobel prize. At the moment he is just considered on the higher scale of literary talent. So without even reading the man, I would be forced to consider him a genius if he won.

You don't have to be a genius to win a Nobel Prize, unfortunately. pacman.gif
    duckworth wrote: »
    Dylan's been on the shortlist for years, but was never given a chance. The bookies have just slashed his odds, making him by far the favourite, so it's looks like he's going to win.

I happen to believe he's up there with Picasso and Joyce as one of the great artists of the 20th century - but it would be the most controversial Nobel decision in quite a while if he gets it.

It depends on your definition of literature I suppose.

Don't read too much into the odds - it's probably all a bit of a publicity stunt by the bookies.

I love Dylan too, but he's a songwriter, not a poet. For the purposes of the Nobel, the definition of literature has been pretty wide - previous winners include Winston Churchill, and philosophers Bertrand Russell and Henri Bergson. So it's not limited just to artistic works. However, imo it should remain a prize for writers of poetry, drama, and prose. If it gets awarded to a songwriter they may as well rename it the Nobel Prize for Cultural Texts, which ain't such a catchy title.

Actually, if you wanted to go for a really outlandish bet, how about Christopher Hitchens? He's seriously ill at the moment, sadly. He's also launched scathing attacks on some of the various commitees' previous decisions, such as the award of the Peace Prize to Obama.

Edit: Oops, seems someone perpetrated a bit of a hoax! In my defence, The Guardian fell for it too! The actual winner is Swede Tomas Tranströmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭EKClarke

Kinski wrote: »
    Edit: Oops, seems someone perpetrated a bit of a hoax! In my defence, The Guardian fell for it too! The actual winner is Swede Tomas Tranströmer.

The Swedes have won more Nobel Literature awards than anyone else and they are always accused of bias and Eurocentricism.

• Advertisement

That's true, but someone I know who reads a lot of contemporary poetry has told me that Tranströmer is very good, and a deserving winner. However, his work is meant to be extremely difficult to translate faithfully into English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sally2

nobel prize has become a joke ever since obama got one for 'peace'

Nah, it became a joke the day everyone started treating that pretend Nobel Prize in economics like a real one.

Advertisement