Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does this type of shot work?

• 05-10-2011 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Playing around with some old shots.

I would appreciate some C&C of this one. It is the summit cairn on Shanlieve in the Mourne Mountains. I am undecided as to whether the shot has any appeal, leaning towards the only appeal being to me as it's a personal snapshot.

2w6ulw8.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There's nothing really of interest in the shot, and it's quite dull. But that's just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

smash wrote: »
    There's nothing really of interest in the shot, and it's quite dull. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the honest appraisal. The problem I have with a lot of these kind of shots is that they are very personal in that I'm a big fan of the mountains and the to me, the shot brings back memories of a particular day.

Nice to honest feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There's no real point asking for C&C on a shot that appeals to you based on personal memories. Others will never feel the way you do about it and only look at the shot purely from an academic point of view.

I have thousands of shots that mean a lot to me, but really they're nothing special to anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Every You Photography

The problem is, I would say, the fact that the picture is unidimensional.

As there is no particular "subject" on the picture, the picture is quite dull.

That is of course only my opinion :)

smash wrote: »
    There's no real point asking for C&C on a shot that appeals to you based on personal memories. Others will never feel the way you do about it and only look at the shot purely from an academic point of view.

I have thousands of shots that mean a lot to me, but really they're nothing special to anyone else.

The reason I was asking was to get the opinion of someone who is seperated from the personal memories to see if the shot held any value beyond that. I highly suspected that it hadn't and the answers on here have clarified that situation.

What I find with landscapes is that looking at an image after an event can invoke these personal memories (bring you back to that point in time) and it can be hard to seperate yourself from that process to make a clear judgement on the merit of an image.

• Advertisement

The problem is, I would say, the fact that the picture is unidimensional.

As there is no particular "subject" on the picture, the picture is quite dull.

That is of course only my opinion :)

Fair points and looking at the image, I can see exactly where you are coming from. Many thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

It completely depends on what you want the image to do. If you want it to dazzle, then no, it's not working. If you had something a bit deeper in mind, or if it means something to *you*, then it has a whole different set of parameters for its definition of success. Not every landscape has to be an Ansel Adams :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

sineadw wrote: »
    If you had something a bit deeper in mind, or if it means something to *you*, then it has a whole different set of parameters for its definition of success. Not every landscape has to be an Ansel Adams :)

But then you'd need a complex narrative to subtely link the viewer to the aesthic.

Don't chuck it out, it may be valuable :rolleyes::p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    But then you'd need a complex narrative to subtely link the viewer to the aesthic.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Misstaken

Reminds me of the Dublin Mountains, of which I'm a big fan.
    Just lacks something of interest.. even a lonely sheep perhaps of do a self portrait and sit in the grass in the foreground.
    )

• Advertisement

Misstaken wrote: »
    Reminds me of the Dublin Mountains, of which I'm a big fan.
    Just lacks something of interest.. even a lonely sheep perhaps of do a self portrait and sit in the grass in the foreground.
    )

Thanks. Like I said, I need to think about what I am trying to achieve before taking a shot. A lot of the time, it tends to be point and shoot and what I see doesn't necessarily transfer that well across onto the final shot. I like the desolation and remoteness of the shot above but it is very much a personal shot.

Here is another shot of a mate running down Slieve Meelbeg in the Mournes during a challenge walk up there. It's a shot that I like and feel is a lot stronger. Would be interested to hear what others think.

r72ecx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Misstaken

i prefer the second shot... but you can barely see your friend.. if he had stood closer to your camera, you could have gotten a lovley capture of him and the mountains in the background... just my thinkin' on it! Love the weather, looks awesome :)

Misstaken wrote: »
    i prefer the second shot... but you can barely see your friend.. if he had stood closer to your camera, you could have gotten a lovley capture of him and the mountains in the background... just my thinkin' on it! Love the weather, looks awesome :)

He wouldn't stand still long enough for me to get him more in frame! I agree though, he's hard to spot in the picture. The weather that day wasn't actually that great - started off misty then went to overcast. Occassionally, the sun would peak through the clouds and light up parts of the landscape. Amazing how vivid the colours become when the light hits the heathers and grasses!

Advertisement