Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postage/Shipping Options

Options
  • 05-10-2011 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi folks..
    Need a little help with an idea, we are in the planing stage for a part time business and one option I want is to post/ship the product to customers within Ireland..
    The box will be approx 80*80*90 and weigh about 0.5kg. It is a low enough value item ~€5. Is there any reasonably priced method of distributing this to customers??

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

No.

Now when I say no I mean you will be hard pushed to find a price for postage less than the cost of the item.

In the UK some guys are getting mainland rates of £3 for next day upto 30kg but here in eire we'd be lucky to find similar for €5-6.

If there is a better/cheaper price out there - I am all ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

bbam wrote: »
    Hi folks..
    Need a little help with an idea, we are in the planing stage for a part time business and one option I want is to post/ship the product to customers within Ireland..
    The box will be approx 80*80*90 and weigh about 0.5kg. It is a low enough value item ~€5. Is there any reasonably priced method of distributing this to customers??

Thanks..

Did you try An Post? they have set prices for certain sizes and weights.
    I use Nightline for deliveries within Ireland and so far have found An Post the best for overseas packages.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Your cost of delivery is going to cost more than the product, so it's going to be a hard sell. Also your Cost per customer acquisition will not leave much profit. You'd need to look at selling in bulk or finding related products to make it worthwhile.

An Post really are not competitive imo for packages.

Kent you found an post better value for shipping to the UK than the likes of DPD for example?

Is it safe to assume that for boxes/packages getting an all ireland next day rate of a fiver is but a pipedream?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Your going to find it hard to find any margin there, we really do have sham post rates in this country. I posted a pair of boots to a customer in Austria via An Post regular post and it cost €44!! couldn't believe it, same parcel anywhere in Ireland is just a fiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭Homer

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume that for boxes/packages getting an all ireland next day rate of a fiver is but a pipedream?

It's not a pipe dream but it depends on volume! I use Nightline also and find them great but don't forget even if you get a rate of a fiver it will be subject to vat and possibly a fuel surcharge with fuel prices the way they are.

Shop around and get some quotes for current market rates. Don't forget the cheapest price is not always the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

No.

Now when I say no I mean you will be hard pushed to find a price for postage less than the cost of the item.

In the UK some guys are getting mainland rates of £3 for next day upto 30kg but here in eire we'd be lucky to find similar for €5-6.

If there is a better/cheaper price out there - I am all ears![/QUOTE]

If you can point me to £3 for £30kg within the UK I am all ears!

I cannot point you directly but I am aware of more than one company getting a rate of £3 + vat for mainland UK.

Parcelforce and An Post do not charge vat - yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

An Post really are not competitive imo for packages.

Kent you found an post better value for shipping to the UK than the likes of DPD for example?

If you have the business, they'll negotiate way down.

Put it this way, I can now sell into the UK on a level field with UK competitors due to the rate I get - but I'm at 1000+ parcels a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Talked to them today...
    They say my box is small enough to qualify for package rather than parcel so it would be €3.85 a shot...
    MAybe but I'd have to back off on my margin :(

• Advertisement

maxer68 wrote: »
    If you have the business, they'll negotiate way down.

Put it this way, I can now sell into the UK on a level field with UK competitors due to the rate I get - but I'm at 1000+ parcels a month.

I can appreciate you not specifying the price in the thread. If you wish to pm that'd be great.

I know £3 for upto 30kg is possible in the mainland. I just don't see dpd offering this price from ROI especially as the depots are owner managed in some cases.

Good amount of orders going out!

Advertisement