Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a gps for Ireland/Britain

Options
  • 05-10-2011 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I normally use my iphone for when I have to get to places I don't know, like the southside of Dublin:D. However I can't use this abroad as the data charges would crucify me.

Can anyone recommend a good sat/nav that would cover Ireland/Britain. I haven't a clue about satnavs as I've never needed one before now. Reading the blurb on them, they all sound the same to me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So you need a Sat nav with already loaded maps on it?

For preloaded phones you get free world wide Ovi maps for Nokia (these are very good), for iPhone you have Navfree UK&RoI (pretty good) and for Android I think there's a way to download google maps.

For Sat nav either Garmin or Tomtom are good. I think both have free map updates. You'll have to check more.

I used to have a TomtomXL, only sent me the wrong way once :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

If you want to stick with the iphone, have a look here. The reviews are a bit out-of-date now but it gives you an idea of what is out there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Stick with Garmin or TomTom and you won't go far wrong.
    These update maps every few months.

You can compare TomTom devices here
    http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/
    You can compare Garmin devices here.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&ra=true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks for the replies.

I've been looking at Garmin and Tom Toms and they are similar in price. I suppose it just comes down to what screen size I want which appears to dictate the price of them.

I've never needed or wanted a sat nav before as the iphone does the job here in Ireland but it won't work abroad due to data limitations, i.e. it accesses teh internet to download the maps as you drive.

Advertisement