Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered job but still confused

Options
  • 05-10-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi

I did an interview for a job and was successful. They emailed me an official job offer. They also emailed me a standard application form in which I gave details of my referees. This is a large company and the branch i'd be working in is not the branch that has the HR office , that's in the head office. So anyways I send back everything they ask me to and i'm told to wait for a start date. About a week later the branch i'm supposed to be starting in call me and ask me if i've heard anything from the head office as i'm due to start the following week. I say no, ring the HR person in the head office and ask her if she has everything she needs in relation to my application to which she replies yes. Still hear nothing until the local branch call me again and ask the same question. I again say No and they say they'll follow it up.

A few days later the HR person calls me saying she needs more information about previous employment to cover off stuff on my file. I send it on to her and she says she'll add it to my file and review it and let me know once a decision has been made.

Ok so now i'm confused. I was offered and accepted a job subject to reference checks ( I know my references went well). The way I see it a decision had already been made so I don't know what the hold up is.

I'm paranoid now that they're dragging their heels because they're changing their mind about hiring me for whatever reason.

Should I start contacting them to find out what's happening?

Any advice welcome, sorry for the very long post !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

No harm in ringing the branch you will be working in again to see whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I would be patient.
    These things often go slower than you might wish,thats just life.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

Definitely call the HR area. You could even give out about the service and delays. You'll need to push them to get things moving.

I wouldn't call your new boss and give out or anything like that. You probably wont be talking to the HR team after you start for at least a few month or a year and they wont remember you by that stage.

Your boss wants you, the HR team need to get their act together.

K

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Sadly I was waiting 2 months for a staff ID on a 6 month contract.

HR person to file the application never entered a line manager and no one knew how to correct it (All details get automatically sent by system to line manager). My boss was emailing and calling for weeks before anything got done.

Advertisement