Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant About Estate Agent

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Snakeblood wrote: »
    'The old 'its a recession, you should be glad im even chatting to you' attitude wears a bit thin after a while'

So people are chatting to you as if you should be grateful because it's a recession, and you're finding it wears a bit thin, and you know what the sector is like despite not working in it.

Nah, dude, you need to get your story straight, and stop criticising people for having crappy experiences with crappy auctioneers and crappy estate agents. People don't suddenly decide to find a property forum and bitch about their bad experiences because it gives them a jolly.

Relate how positive it is if you like. Tell us your good experience as a customer then.

Nah, dude, reading a bit too much into my post there, you dont know what your talking about again. Your another one of these posters happy to jump on the bandwagon when you hear of a customer who may or may not have been treated badly and slate an entire sector. Just happy to throw in your 2cents of uncredible, unreliable, useless information. Btw id love to know what sector/industry you work in that must be so great?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Nah, dude, reading a bit too much into my post there, you dont know what your talking about again. Your another one of these posters happy to jump on the bandwagon when you hear of a customer who may or may not have been treated badly and slate an entire sector. Just happy to throw in your 2cents of uncredible, unreliable, useless information. Btw id love to know what sector/industry you work in that must be so great?

We're in a property forum, discussing property. It doesn't matter what I do. You're the one claiming you know what the property sector is like, except you don't work in it, (except it sounds like you do work in it, and are lying, from what you have said) and also claiming that no one else knows what they're talking about, but not explaining where you get your knowledge from.

We're in a property forum, discussing property. It doesn't matter what I do. You're the one claiming you know what the property sector is like, except you don't work in it, (except it sounds like you do work in it, and are lying, from what you have said) and also claiming that no one else knows what they're talking about, but not explaining where you get your knowledge from.

What a surprise, you dont want to talk about you do?maybe because of this I can assume aswell you dont do **** all and are happy to have a rant about an sector you have no real knowledge of. Take a look a bit closer to home

What a surprise, you dont want to talk about you do?maybe because of this I can assume aswell you dont do **** all and are happy to have a rant about an sector you have no real knowledge of. Take a look a bit closer to home dude

You're going wildly off topic, chum. It's a property forum. You're telling people they don't know what property is like. They've bought and sold houses or tried, as have I. They have experiences with property, and with auctioneers and estate agents. Negative ones. If you aren't in the sector (and I still maintain you are, and are lying) what makes anything you say any more credible than them?

Not that you are actually saying anything, you're just saying that they're wrong, without providing any experiences of your own, or knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Maybe we should start a poll?

Is your overall impression of Auctioneers/Estate Agents positive or negative?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

leonidas 83,

Do you think is it unprofessional for a person in any sector to arrange a meeting with a potential customer and not bother turning up, rescheduling in advance, or contacting the customer as soon as possible to apologise?

As was said earleir, this is not rocket science.
    People do not need a property related degree to know the answer to this question.

You're going wildly off topic, chum. It's a property forum. You're telling people they don't know what property is like. They've bought and sold houses or tried, as have I. They have experiences with property, and with auctioneers and estate agents. Negative ones. If you aren't in the sector (and I still maintain you are, and are lying) what makes anything you say any more credible than them?

Not that you are actually saying anything, you're just saying that they're wrong, without providing any experiences of your own, or knowledge.

And what exactly are you saying?? you've had a bad experience with a few auctioneers so that gives you the right to go around bad mouthing them all the time despite having no real knowledge of how the sector works. You do this without even mentioning what you do, how does that come across? I think you know its pretty pathetic and narrow minded

And what exactly are you saying?? you've had a bad experience with a few auctioneers so that gives you the right to go around bad mouthing them all the time despite having no real knowledge of how the sector works. You do this without even mentioning what you do, how does that come across? I think you know its pretty pathetic and narrow minded

What I'm saying is that you're lying about not being in the sector, which again gives a bad impression of estate agents and auctioneers. Because people think they're liars. And there you are. Lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

And what exactly are you saying?? you've had a bad experience with a few auctioneers so that gives you the right to go around bad mouthing them all the time despite having no real knowledge of how the sector works.

How does the sector work out of interest? You certainly purport to have the knowledge so I'd be interested in hearing it.

What I'm saying is that you're lying about not being in the sector, which again gives a bad impression of estate agents and auctioneers. Because people think they're liars. And there you are. Lying.

Are you thick or something, do you not understand plain english, I AM NOT AN AUCTIONEER, I DO NOT WORK IN THE SECTOR. Not only do you throw mud around at particular lines work, you accuse people of lying too. Get a grip

• Advertisement

Are you thick or something, do you not understand plain english, I AM NOT AN AUCTIONEER, I DO NOT WORK IN THE SECTOR. Not only do you throw mud around at particular lines work, you accuse people of lying too. Get a grip

Well, I don't believe you and I've explained why. You haven't explained A) why you are so attached to defending auctioneers from slander or b) why you are getting tired of people talking to you as if you should be grateful what with the recession, and c) what makes you know better than other people in the forum who are critical of people in the sector?

What mud am I throwing at auctioneers? I'm just calling you a liar. Not auctioneers.

Well, I don't believe you and I've explained why. You haven't explained A) why you are so attached to defending auctioneers from slander or b) why you are getting tired of people talking to you as if you should be grateful what with the recession, and c) what makes you know better than other people in the forum who are critical of people in the sector?

What mud am I throwing at auctioneers? I'm just calling you a liar. Not auctioneers.

There may be a number of different reasons why I would defend a sector when it's getting singled out unfairly and frankly none of its your business. You call me a liar when you dont even know me or anything about me,you jump on a bandwagon of slating auctioneers despite having limited experience of them, and you dont even say what you work at, its pretty obvious what you are, a coward.

There may be a number of different reason why I would defend a sector when it's getting singled out unfairly and frankly none of its your business. You call me a liar when you dont even know me or anything about me,you jump on a bandwagon of slating auctioneers despite having limited experience of them, and you dont even say what you work at, its pretty obvious what you are, a coward.

We're talking about property. You're claiming to know more than anyone else about the sector, won't explain how or why. Other people are relating their experiences, and you're just telling them 'no, they're wrong'. You're not explaining why you think they're wrong. You're not giving any background. You're not saying 'I had better experiences' you're saying that they were wrong, or excusing the negative experience they had.

There could be many reasons why you'd defend a sector when it's getting singled out unfairly. However, in a property forum, discussing the property sector isn't singling it out unfairly. It's discussing it in the proper place.

In conclusion: I didn't say anything about estate agents or auctioneers in the thread. I didn't have a go at auctioneers, I first asked a question about your knowledge, and then my next response was calling you a liar because you were obviously involved in the industry and lying about it. Then we got into this pleasant discussion of lies and the lying liars who tell them. So I'm not 'having a go' at a poor sector. I'm having a go at you, for lying about not being in the sector.

We're talking about property. You're claiming to know more than anyone else about the sector, won't explain how or why. Other people are relating their experiences, and you're just telling them 'no, they're wrong'. You're not explaining why you think they're wrong. You're not giving any background.

There could be many reasons why you'd defend a sector when it's getting singled out unfairly. However, in a property forum, discussing the property sector isn't singling it out unfairly. It's discussing it in the proper place.

In conclusion: I didn't say anything about estate agents or auctioneers in the thread. I didn't have a go at auctioneers, I first asked a question about your knowledge, and then my next response was calling you a liar because you were obviously involved in the industry and lying about it. Then we got into this pleasant discussion of lies and the lying liars who tell them. So I'm not 'having a go' at a poor sector. I'm having a go at you, for lying about not being in the sector.

In conclusion, your talking utter tripe and have previously admitted to having a go at auctioneers, then you develop this strange obsession with me seemingly being an auctioneer and a liar, so overall id rather watch paint dry than carry on this pointless conversation

In conclusion, your talking utter tripe and have previously admitted to having a go at auctioneers, then you develop this strange obsession with me seemingly being an auctioneer and a liar, so overall id rather watch paint dry than carry on this pointless conversation

Where did I admit having a go at auctioneers? I missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Learpholl

As neutral here who has met some decent EA's and some very poor ones, leonidas83, you're coming out very poorly in this argument. As Snakeblood said:
    You're claiming to know more than anyone else about the sector, won't explain how or why. Other people are relating their experiences, and you're just telling them 'no, they're wrong'. You're not explaining why you think they're wrong. You're not giving any background.

At least everyone else is backing up their opinion with why they think what they do. If you believe they're wrong which clearly you do then why don't you just explain why you think they're wrong?

Learpholl wrote: »
    As neutral here who has met some decent EA's and some very poor ones, leonidas83, you're coming out very poorly in this argument. As Snakeblood said:

At least everyone else is backing up their opinion with why they think what they do. If you believe they're wrong which clearly you do then why don't you just explain why you think they're wrong?

And who the hell are you, lurking in the background, seeing which way the argument is going, then coming in with some snippy comment trying to get a few thanks.

I dont have to explain myself here in the slightest, anyone who is impartial would clearly see their is a witch hunt of sorts against auctioneers/property experts on this thread with little to no backing up of it. Anyone can make up a story concerning a bad experience they had with someone in any sector, because of the times we live in and the fact there has been a property crash, auctioneers are an easy target.

Their are alot of dissatisfied people out their who overspent on houses during the boom and are now looking to vent their fustration at someone. Their's also alot of time wasters out there also who expect auctioneers to bend over backwards for them with ridiculous demands and derogatory offers on property only to back out with the going gets serious.

Wake up guys, stop blaming other people for your own bull**** and short comings

Where did I admit having a go at auctioneers? I missed that.

So you came on this thread to do what exactly so, support auctioneers???or are you just following me around

So you came on this thread to do what exactly so, support auctioneers???or are you just following me around

I came into the thread because I'm interested in property, and it seemed like an interesting thread. Then I asked you questions because what you were saying seemed either disingenuous or stupid. I know which now.

I've never interacted with you before this thread, which I in retrospect I take as my good fortune. I'd probably have to have interacted once or twice to start following you.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

This thread has just degenerated into silly personal sniping. Can we please close it?

• Advertisement

I came into the thread because I'm interested in property, and it seemed like an interesting thread. Then I asked you questions because what you were saying seemed either ingenuous or stupid. I know which now.

I've never interacted with you before this thread, which I in retrospect I take as my good fortune. I'd probably have to have interacted once or twice to start following you.

why dont u go back to talking about and playing video games dude, you dont have a clue what ur talking about again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Hi All,

I just want to vent a bit of fury at the way i heave been treated by a certain estate agent. (Mod - please let me know if i can name and shame).

I am interested in a property and have been traing to view it, but the EA was not returning calls. Eventually i got to view and made an offer, but in the meantime he convinced me to go and view another in the area last night which imo was overpriced, but wanted to meet him also to discuss the property i am interested and show him i am serious about buying.

I agreed to meet him @ 7pm and was there 5 mins early. there was no sign of him by 7:15 and his phone was off. I left a voicemail and went home.

I got a call from him this morning after calling his office and expressing how p155ed off i was, and his responses were "my phone is never switched off"; "i only got your message this morning, sure i cant control how mobile phone companies work" (Bullsh1t); "I have a fantastic attitude", (When i told him he had a terrible one).

To be honest, what is stopping me maybe sending a letter to the house owners i am interested in viewing and requesting that they change estate agents ask i am in a position to buy and am interested in their property but will not deal with this EA? Or does anyone else have any ideas on how i can go about removing this particular EA from my house hunting experience?

Oh, i googled the addrress of the property that i am interested in and found a business registered to that address, so i called them and explained if they wish to do business with me to change EA, but if not good luck with the sale of their house.

I feel your pain OP.

My (then) pregnant wife travelled to the other side of the city last winter to a viewing and the EA didn't turn up, answer his phone or return voice messages.
    I was raging. It was just downright ignorant.
    If they are not arsed turning up all they have to do is not bother arranging the viewing.
    It is not difficult.
    I have come across some very professional, courteous EA's though and it seems to be a lucky dip so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

why dont u go back to talking about and playing video games dude, you dont have a clue what ur talking about again

Attack the post, no the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

during the 'boom' years when people fell over themselves to buy houses our of our two local EAs was always seen in the church sitting close to the bereaved family at funerals so he could get the handshake in first!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok- leonidas83- frankly you need to read the forum charter if you want to continue to post in this forum. If you disagree with what someone else posts- attack the post, and not the poster. Its not a difficult concept- and it stops threads such as this one descending into people taking potshots at one another. Whether or not you are an estate agent, an auctioneer, married to or have relatives who are either- is wholly irrelevant- however the manner in which you became very shirty with multiple other posters- leaves you open to this interpretation, rightly or wrongly.

If you want to start a thread extolling the virtues of the industry- please be my guest, I have absolutely no issue with you doing so- however this is a public forum, open to members of the public, and you are going to get people's experiences recounted to you- whether you like it or not.

My next comment is directed at everyone- be civil towards one another- or you will receive a posting holiday from this forum, along with an infraction for the offending post.

Regards,

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭quinnie123ie

Zamboni wrote: »
    I feel your pain OP.

My (then) pregnant wife travelled to the other side of the city last winter to a viewing and the EA didn't turn up, answer his phone or return voice messages.
    I was raging. It was just downright ignorant.
    If they are not arsed turning up all they have to do is not bother arranging the viewing.
    It is not difficult.
    I have come across some very professional, courteous EA's though and it seems to be a lucky dip so to speak.

It was probably the same guy i dealt with... the trouble is, if you like the property, how do you go about viewing it, and making an offer on it, but not dealing with the EA who made sh1t of you???

One could post a letter directly to the address, i heard that people can hire multiple EA's now to sell their properties, this gives them a better chance at a sale, and they only have to pay the successful agent? can anyone confirm if they know this is true????

• Registered Users Posts: 8 punkyy8

I just wanted to vent my anger at an estate agent aswell. I recently decided to rent with my partner. I came across a property in Lusk that was being rented by an estate agent XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. I phoned about the property and the EA informed me that loads were interested but that we could go view. We went and viewed the property and asked was the rent up for Negotiation and the EA said yes, we supplied references there and then and were told that we'd receive a call after the EA contacted the LL. I had to contact the EA myself a few days later and she said they had refused the offer, we made another offer and was told she'd get back a few days later as there were more viewings arranged for the following day. Again a few days later I had to call the EA and she told me she'd ring me back tomorrow. She rang and left a message to say the property was gone! We accepted this and thought we'd find something else.

Then to my suprise I go onto daft again today and it's still up for rent, so i got a colleague to ring pretending to be interested and my colleague was taken back by the question and manner of the EA.

We are a young couple that looked at a two bedroom house and we both are in full time employment in the public sector so our jobs are as secure as they can be nowadays. I feel the EA assumed we would be having parties in the property because we are young.

I would also like to say as part of my job I deal with estate agents on a daily basis and that I have never felt so dissappointed before because i'm being judged on my age.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX are an absolute disgrace. What else would a landlord want in this climate, a young couple in full time employment who work with people in the rental sector, that provided references on viewing.

I hope no one has to deal with these incompetent EA ever again

Advertisement