Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless filter/heater?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

This might be a bit of a weird one.

I have a 15L tank lying idle. It's too small for pretty much any fish, I know, but I've been considering getting some shrimp.

My problem is that my house is tiny, and I mean tiny, and there is zero wall space available so I'd like to put it on my coffee table. The coffee table is not near any electrical points and I don't want to run cables across the floor. Is it possible to get battery operated filters and heaters so that I could have a nice little display of shrimp?

Also, I'm slightly short-sighted. Are there any shrimp which would be visible without me having to get right up to the tank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Will be watching this one with interest... I've a similar tank that's an utter pain to find a use for, been thinking it might be useful if my guppys breed as a fry tank but can't think of much else to use it for...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Since I'm on lunch, I got googling:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/fish-supplies/aquarium-air-pump/battery-operated-air-pumps/ps/c/3578/3669/8044

You can get battery powered air-pumps which you could use to power an under-gravel filter?

Seems like most of the ones I'm finding are only meant for short-term use as they eat through batteries extremely quick (you'd need to change them twice daily or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Someone on another forum has just advised me that shrimp can be kept at room temperature and that a well planted tank could be used instead of filtration.

Am I right to think that that's probably wishful thinking?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I keep shrimp in a Fluval Chi 25L, the filter on these is terrible, but I have it very well planted.

My heater got unplugged for a day or two, and I didn't lose any shrimp, but they were lethargic. However, they will (and your plants will) need lots of light.

I woudn't let the temperature go below 18 degrees, they're at their best in or around 22-26 degrees I think. But there's no harm setting it up anyway and giving it a shot, you'd probably need to do more water changes than normal with no filter.

If you get cherry shrimp, and they're happy, they'll breed like the clappers so you'll definitely see them. I started with 10, a few months later I had over 60. If you plant it really well with java moss / moss balls and a bit of bogwood, they'll stand out against the green.

Make sure it has a lid though, mine are all for exploring outside the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

Silverfish wrote: »

really :D Dammit, was gonna get shrimp in my planted tank but is an ex-marine (no not like that) tank so has a bit cut out of the top....hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

VRjRCl.jpg

That's the max water level at the top of mine. Sometimes if they're excited or get scared they just propel themselves out, sometimes I catch them, sometimes I don't and find them later (yuck).

I haven't had any jumpers in a while now so I'd say they've gotten used to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Silverfish wrote: »
    I keep shrimp in a Fluval Chi 25L, the filter on these is terrible, but I have it very well planted.

My heater got unplugged for a day or two, and I didn't lose any shrimp, but they were lethargic. However, they will (and your plants will) need lots of light.

I woudn't let the temperature go below 18 degrees, they're at their best in or around 22-26 degrees I think. But there's no harm setting it up anyway and giving it a shot, you'd probably need to do more water changes than normal with no filter.

If you get cherry shrimp, and they're happy, they'll breed like the clappers so you'll definitely see them. I started with 10, a few months later I had over 60. If you plant it really well with java moss / moss balls and a bit of bogwood, they'll stand out against the green.

I guess the best thing I could do is set the tank up empty, put a thermometer in and see what temperature the tank reaches. Is it even possible to cycle a tank without a filter?

On an unrelated note I added 6 rummynose tetras to my betta tank today. I'm loving the extra colour and movement. Great as Talyn, the betta, is he's bloody lazy and invisible most of the time. So far they're all ignoring each other, so fingers crossed that no-one gets eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

ah ok just jumpers, they dont actually crawl out and wander around then lol

Advertisement