Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anymore ladies late 40's using donor eggs?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi just wondered if there are anymore ladies who are in their late 40's and using donor eggs for IVF? Would be great to share experiences...I think we are probably a minority,but sometimes life doesn't go according to plan...Hope to hear from you x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 groz

Hi Feliztjb, I'm 41 and we are hopefully starting IVF next month. It is my first cycle ever and I don't know what to expect in terms of 'egg resource' and how will I respond. They might find good quality egg or two, they might not. The cycle might be cancelled or some other situation might arise where we could be told that donor eggs are the only possibility.

We don't know at this stage yet. However, we've been thinking about it - my husband and I - and we are not really mad about the donor route at all. Why? I have to admit we know very little about the entire process, but the fact that donor eggs carry some other unknown person's DNA is a little bit off putting for us. This does not mean that is a bad idea. It just isn't quite appealing to us.

I know this does not help you much, but since I know very little about the entire process of egg donation, I would also like to hear form other people and I might have a change of heart.:)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 feliztjb

Hi I totally understand how you feel.Sadly my partner and I are in the position where we met each other 3years ago and I had just had my last period and he had had a vasectomy cos his first wife didn't want children,so for us if we want a baby donor eggs and sperm is the only way to achieve our dream.This isn't a problem for us.I have taught children from all over the world and looked after children like they were my own.We would love to adopt,but are too old(51 and 47,but young for our years as you may have read on my other post)
    We did try using my partner's sperm on our first attempt ,but this did not result in a positive pregnancy.The donors we use have been medically screened and are in their 20's and most have had successful pregnancies or have donated eggs that have gone onto to produce successful pregnancies.I had a twin ectopic in March in India.My personal experience is only confined to India,so I don't know about other clinics first hand.Each donor has an extremely detailed profile ranging from medical tests to interests.
    At 41 you must obviously see if you can use your own eggs.There are lots of women in their early 40's who are falling pregnant with a little help.So I wish you all the best.I just wanted to tell you about my experience,just in case things don't go according to plan,because if you need to there is another way to achieve your dream.Where are you having your first cycle? Please feel free to ask me any questions,I'm happy to help.All the best x

• Registered Users Posts: 18 groz

feliztjb wrote: »
    Each donor has an extremely detailed profile ranging from medical tests to interests.

Thank you very much feliztjb for your reply. I didn't know this that the egg donor's profile is available and detailed. It's an interesting point, so we'll think about it... It is amazing and very encouraging to hear that you got pregnant! I wish you also all the very best in your future and hope everything is exactly how you wanted it to be. Take care and thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi ladies.

I'm still just in (late!) mid thirties but after trying everything for a few years, donor eggs have also been suggested. I haven't been able to accept that yet. Like you groz, it just hasn't appealed as yet , and I still have a few eggs. But I keep telling myself that the donor option will still be available in ten years time if I'm still up for it.

feliztjb, I know from other fertility forums that lots of women go to spain for cheap ivf, apparently there's a very good clinic in barcelona with no waiting lists for donor eggs. It might save you some travelling? Using Indian eggs & sperm, do you have a plan for bringing up a baby of a different race?
    Do you have a cut off point for how many times you'll try if it doesn't work out?
    I find it very hard to not get obsessive about baby hunger but after three failed ivfs I'm trying to find meaning in my own life and value it as best I can.

I wish you the best of luck. You're a very brave lady.

Hi there.We live in Spain;family,house and life there.We are only back in the UK to fund our treatment.India is a lot cheaper than Europe...The average price of IVF starts at 4,000 USD ,thats about 2,560 pounds and that includes scans and drugs etc.I have a friend who had 2 attempts in Tarragona,Spain and then fell pregnant with twins in India at the ripe old age of 49(donor eggs)As I had a twin pregnancy in March,I'm only thinking positively.The plan in respect of our baby would be love and more love,understanding and acceptance,as it should be with all parents raising children.All of my career has centered around children of all nationalities and walks of life.I have taught in developing countries and my Godson is mixed race.My partner's parents fostered African children in the 60's...A child's roots and identity is so important.We plan to return frequently to India to see our friends there and eventually we want to live there.
    I'm sorry to hear you've had failed IVFs,but I've read lots of stories where people go onto have babies.You must ,of course continue to use your own eggs until the doctors say otherwise.Where are you having your treatment and what are they saying about the quality of your eggs?Thank you for your kind wishes.We don't consider ourselves to be brave,we feel that we are extremely fortunate to have found such an incredible team of doctors who are helping us achieve our dream.All the best,please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks feliztjb. They haven't found any definite egg quality issues as yet. Our problem is that I have fewer eggs than a woman my age should have, so I only get a few eggs on each round of IVF. But yes, we will do all that we can with own eggs for now. We looked into treatment in India at one stage but here we pay 4500 euro for IVF (plus 120 for the drugs with the DPS scheme) so if you include flights for two (I would have to bring my sperm with me!) it doesn't work out at that much more than you pay in India and saves on travelling and scheduling time away.

When are you going again? I hope it works this time!

That's good news.You miust remain positive cos it only takes one egg to produce a baby,especially as there appears to be no quality issues.How many cycles have you had,so far?4,500 euros is good.I think my clinic charges 4,000 USD that's about 2,560 pounds for IVF using your own eggs,but then there's flights etc.I'm not working at the moment and my partner will remain in the UK to work when I go.I will probably be going after Xmas.I love India,it's like my second home.When is your next round of treatment? x

Advertisement