Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milverton hotel/Golf course development

Options
  • 05-10-2011 1:28pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was reading the Irish Times today and it seems the whole 465 acre site at Milverton earmarked for this development is up for sale.
    Apparently it cost 20 Million is up for sale at 9.5 million and even at that is at a premium to other similar sites.
    Mixed feeling on this as I'd like to see jobs/development but also value the beauty of the area as it is.
    IMO the last thing we need is yet another golf course !

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2011/1005/1224305251454.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Wow. Lucky Captain Wentges to have sold when he did. I wonder what will be done with the site now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Looking at the map of the site it would make more sense for local farmers if it was sold in two lots. From the houses at Killalaine to the Milverton school road is cultivated land, the rest of the estate seems to be pasture and woods which wouldn't be much use without major work. Obviously the sale is designed for a developer. Do the case for a hotel must be weakened when the council approved the building of a hotel in Skerries.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I can't see anyone buying it to develop the golf course in the current economic climate. The original proposal was dependent on 50+ houses being sold for in excess of €2m each to be finacially viable.

Does the planning permission lapse after a certain period?

It seems the value being placed on it is still too high for agricultural land and I would guess there is going to be some negotiation on price

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

As far as I know the land is all being rented out at the moment, in sections. Im pretty sure I seen a rotavator in one part of it this morning on the way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

This was a very ambitious plan from the start and could not see it happening back then but I did think it would be good for the area as it meant a considerable amount of jobs could have been created. Also a good top class hotel would not go amiss in the area.

I think planning does expire after a certain amount of time but this can vary depending on the type of development.

Its going to be expensive whoever buys it or if anyone buys it. Agree it will need to split to have any chance of recouping the money they are looking for. Would not think many farmers are in a position to buy a large amount of land at premium prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

What makes me sick is, that the developer knocked down all those trees (By mistake) close to the road when he started on the his great vision of yet another golf course!
    Visionaries don’t let the trees get in the way! :rolleyes:

Don't get me started on those trees! It went from the appropriately-named Shady Lane to 'Not at all Shady Lane' in one day. I was gutted! If you have an old copy of the Fingal Indo you may see a pic of me & a neighbour looking very angry about those trees. ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't get me started on those trees! It went from the appropriately-named Shady Lane to 'Not at all Shady Lane' in one day. I was gutted! If you have an old copy of the Fingal Indo you may see a pic of me & a neighbour looking very angry about those trees. ;)
    I remember that picture very well - ever since that image of the Grumpy Hill Billy has stuck in my mind :pac:

Anyway, at least some of us got a couple of years of firewood out of it (pity we're on oil though ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Slim Shady Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Ah...for those of us who missed it...post the pic or GTFO !
    :pac::pac::D

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I don't have a copy. :o

Ah...for those of us who missed it...post the pic or GTFO !
    :pac::pac::D
    Here he is, with the remnants of one of the trees (that he's made into a banstick):

hillbilly19.jpg

:D

PMSL! :D

Advertisement