Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone done a driving test just before the school run?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hey. I just got a notification for my driving test. Its at 8.25 on a Monday morning. I would say we will be on the road in school trafic until 9am.

Has anyone done there test at this time before, does it effect your driving?
    I know I failed my last test because of holding down my clutch, and I have a tendency to hold down my clutch when Im in traffic alot... :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

You just have to extra vigilant for anyone running out from the path/doors opening and so on.

The plus side is you can end up in a jam for 10 minutes and then your test is half over and you haven't had time to get into as much trouble as you might other times.

Don't worry about it - keeping off the clutch is a matter of treating it like the brake pedal - only got to it to stop.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Brings back memories!

I did my driving test 20 years ago in an old Fiat van.

Got the timeslot of 4pm on a Friday.

Thought nothing of it at the time.

The day came & the van was playing up (battery was on it's last legs).

I was fuming, but had no time or money to get a new one, so took a chance.

Went into town, parked the van (on a hill) & went into the test centre to find the instructer.

Out we went & got in the van. I had a mate on standby in case we needed a shove.

No need though, she started first flick of the key!

Tension was high at this stage & I'm not one noted for patience.

Of course my timeslot coincided with all the kids coming out of school & the RTC.

Bicycles everywhere!

I never thought there were so many in the country.

It was like Shanghai or somewhere.!!

Jesus, they weaved everywhere in front of me, some nearly even collided.

I was giving no quarter though. It was my third test & I was determined to pass.

Got nicely caught in traffic a couple of times, so that killed some time.:)

Back to the test centre & lo & behold I got my certificate of competency.

Hurrah! Another success for THE CLASS!!!!:D

Went back out to the van.

Guess what?

No go.

Turned out I needed my mate for that shove after all!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Did mine through Irish, at the time a guy had to come over specially and apparently he hated having to travel so tended to pass people!:D

You'll be grand,just be careful near schools as some parents tend to abandon, rather than park.Make a really exaggerate mirror check constantly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You'll be grand,just be careful near schools as some parents tend to abandon, rather than park.

Situation's like that the tester should be allowed pause a test and remove license's from said parents and hand them a form to resit their test.

Good luck with your test op.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I done my test many years ago on Mart day (that's when the mart was where Fairgreen is now). In them days the roads were packed with dozy auld lads who only ever came into town on mart day, parking badly, pulling out of places without looking, crawling along and general crap driving. I passed no problem so I reckon a school run will be ok. Just take extra care driving past parked cars and let the tester see you looking out for little feet between cars and don't get flustered. The tester just wants to see you are aware of the risks ahead and are in control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

slimjimmc wrote: »
    parking badly, pulling out of places without looking, crawling along and general crap driving.

Not much has changed around the town so! :p

In all seriousness OP, as the guys have said , check the mirrors often, watch for children and mind the lollipop ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Thanks for the advice guys, I’ll take that on-board. As you say, if I go slow and exaggerate looking in my mirrors frequently, it should help ,y test.

Does it matter tho that I’ll be stuck in traffic, that will only make my test longer wont it? I assumed that there was a pre-set route, and it takes as long as it takes to finish. I’d love a test mostly stuck in traffic, but that would only lengthen it, as I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

As far as I remember there is about 5 routes that the tester could ask you to take. They overlap a bit, but mainly involved driving around the town centre and obrien road, tullow road and stapletown road i think.

Try going out around the school rush time in the car if possible, especially around the schools to get a good idea of what to expect. And watch out the women in those people carrier things...they're bloody lethal around the schools!!

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Thanks for the advice guys, I’ll take that on-board. As you say, if I go slow and exaggerate looking in my mirrors frequently, it should help ,y test.

Does it matter tho that I’ll be stuck in traffic, that will only make my test longer wont it? I assumed that there was a pre-set route, and it takes as long as it takes to finish. I’d love a test mostly stuck in traffic, but that would only lengthen it, as I understand it.

Don't go too slow.

A lot of the test is about progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

yeah, rather unbelievably they want you to go along at a fair clip, without being stupid of course.
    As for being stuck in traffic, just watch road position, distance from parked cars and the car in front. Generally when stopped you should be able to see the wheels of the car in front.
    I reckon you're better off stuck in traffic, that way you don't have to worry about speed limits, overtaking cyclists etc. Best of luck. Nerves are the only really difficult thing about it. I know its easy to say, but if you are relaxed and know your stuff, its a doddle. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I did mine at 2.30 and he took me past 2 schools!! Just keep your eyes peeled and mirrors, mirrors, mirrors. Good luck! :D

Advertisement