Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for good all you can eat chinese

Options
  • 05-10-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

So.... It's my fellas birthday and he loves chinese so wanna take him to a good all you can eat buffet... was wondering if anyone could recommend a good one in the city.... preferably near temple bar and the outskirts of it :D

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

Jimmy Chungs on Eden Quay is fairly popular. I don't personally like it but it seems I'm in the minority :)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Jimmy Chungs is expensive but the clear winner, food was great.

Avoid Full House like the plague, you get what you would expect for 6 quid .... a tummy ache

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The subject of this thread contradicts itself imo!!!

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    The subject of this thread contradicts itself imo!!!

Arra now, Jimmy Chungs is the sauce :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Go to Mongolian Barbecue instead IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I get sushi from 10thousand on Liffey St. sometimes when the place next door is too busy and I noticed they are connected to an all you can eat Chinese with the door on Upper Abbey Street... if their Japanese stuff is anything to go by the food should be pretty good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

if their Japanese stuff is anything to go by the food should be pretty good.
    The Singapore noodles are really good, the vegetable chow mein is decent, but beyond that I wouldn't rate them too highly. But they're nice people and it's only €7. Worth trying once if you're determined to have an all-you-can-eat Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Jimmy Chungs is the expensive all you can eat Chinese but it is well worth it, great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Jimmy chungs are very good but expensive. Getting very repetetive here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Buffet 79 on Mary St is decent for 6.50, drinks 1 euro. Has Indian, Chinese, Japanese and Thai on offer with nan bread too. For 6.50 cant go wrong but i would be pissed off with that as a birthday present. Want some funky stuff goin on to make up for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Wouldn't be ideal as a birthday thing to go to those buffets really. Either one or both of you will be up and down to get food at most times, the quality isn't great and it's fairly rushed. Plus you'll prob overeat, (I always try and get my moneys worth by eating too much) and won't feel the best after it.

If you want chinese, go for a decent chinese restaurant like Good World. It's a more formal, but relaxing experience, with better food cooked to order.
    It really doesn't work out much more expensive if you go for an early bird somewhere, particularly if you're going for the buffet at dinner time.
    I think dinner in Jimmy Chungs is about €18-20, without drinks.

wyndham wrote: »
    Plus you'll prob overeat, (I always try and get my moneys worth by eating too much) and won't feel the best after it.

This !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

The one on Abbey St €6.18 nice grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Jimmy Chungs is just awful, I don't know how people like it. It's overpriced poor quality food. Deffo I would avoid the buffet style for a bday, there are some amazing early birds around town at the moment. I'm afraid I can't recommend any chinese early birds, but have a look around, most places have signs outside now, offering early birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Vickysg24

Warper wrote: »
    Buffet 79 on Mary St is decent for 6.50, drinks 1 euro. Has Indian, Chinese, Japanese and Thai on offer with nan bread too. For 6.50 cant go wrong but i would be pissed off with that as a birthday present. Want some funky stuff goin on to make up for that

Oh believe me he had the best birthday ever!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I've been to two birthdays in the mongolian bbq place and really enjoyed both.

To sum up:

Its different.
    Its all you can eat
    People who dont know each other get talking in the queue for the grill(handy if not everyone who is invited knows each other)
    food is terrific
    They sell beer by the pitcher as well as the glass

I highly recommend it. Price was reasonable too.

Here is the site: http://www.mongolianbbq.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

face1990 wrote: »
    1.jpg

Nice

I lold

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

dearg lady wrote: »
    Jimmy Chungs is just awful, I don't know how people like it. It's overpriced poor quality food. Deffo I would avoid the buffet style for a bday, there are some amazing early birds around town at the moment. I'm afraid I can't recommend any chinese early birds, but have a look around, most places have signs outside now, offering early birds.

I love Hai Linn on Capel Street. You can have a main course for €5.90 or with a starter and drink for €9.90. We both like our food and won't eat somewhere that has poor quality ingredients. The quality of meat is a good indicator of a restaurant and Hai-Linn scores well on that front with us.

I simply can't fathom why folk would pay €6-8 for a McDonalds when they can have a good quality chinese for less than the price of a Big Mac meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

I love Hai Linn on Capel Street. You can have a main course for €5.90 or with a starter and drink for €9.90. We both like our food and won't eat somewhere that has poor quality ingredients. The quality of meat is a good indicator of a restaurant and Hai-Linn scores well on that front with us.

I simply can't fathom why folk would pay €6-8 for a McDonalds when they can have a good quality chinese for less than the price of a Big Mac meal.

Do you honestly believe that you're getting top quality ingredients for €5.90 for a main course? You're been served cheap crap and all you see is the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Oddjob wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe that you're getting top quality ingredients for €5.90 for a main course? You're been served cheap crap and all you see is the price.

I'm not saying it's absolutely top quality but it is significantly better than anything I've come across in other similarly cheap Chinese restaurants....... by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 etcpub

The one on Abbey street is surely worth it, 6.18€ per person and all you can eat. If I am correct it's called Full House and is located between the abbey street and Jervis Luas stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

just back from that Mongolian place and its amazing
    got a heaped bowl of noodles with choice of veg thrown on top and a bowl of meat with choice of sauces
    i went for the spicy chilli beef all thrown onto the grill and cooked as you wait also a bowl of rice all for 5 euro
    so good ill be back tomorrow and maybe the next :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

spider_pig wrote: »
    just back from that Mongolian place and its amazing
    got a heaped bowl of noodles with choice of veg thrown on top and a bowl of meat with choice of sauces
    i went for the spicy chilli beef all thrown onto the grill and cooked as you wait also a bowl of rice all for 5 euro
    so good ill be back tomorrow and maybe the next :D

One of the main reasons I'm sickened I don't work in town!

Advertisement