Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Online / Evening) Web Development Courses

Options
  • 05-10-2011 1:57pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

(Just in case I get given off to, I did do a search of this forum & had no joy, so apologies in advance)

The ubiquitous (on/off)line course question - does anyone have any recommendations of respectable and useful courses out there for web programming; I'm thinking anything that gives a good shakedown along the lines of PHP/Ruby/etc. In terms of skill-level, I’m thinking between beginners & intermediate.

Where I'm coming from is that I'm a web-designer / front-end developer with about 7 years experience. My front-end development is strong & although my academic background is in software engineering, programming has pretty much fallen by the wayside since I got into web design. So while I'd be competent enough to edit or customise PHP or VB files to suit markup output - I’m out of practice with raw coding, so I figure a course would help as I'd hate to get completely out of shape.

The day job's quite intense, so I'm leaning towards evening classes and/or distance courses. I'd self-teach, but without a solid project or deadline hanging over my head - basically something forcing me to do it - I know I'd just peter out.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can't help you with courses unfortunately, but would there not be an option for you to get involved in some back-end development in your current job? Not being smart or anything, but with 7 years' front-end dev experience, and some experience tweaking PHP, and a degree in software engineering, it's not gonna be too much of a stretch for you to start writing your own stuff from scratch! :p Would the job not allow you the freedom to stick your nose in a bit?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah that occurred to me, but the job is quite restrictive in my ability to broaden my skillset. There's not really the opportunity to learn new things here, so my only realistic option is to upskill outside of office hours.

Advertisement