Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re helping pet deal with loss of friend

• 05-10-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've two dwarf hamsters and one of them has passed away. They're brothers and lived together in the same cage without issue (They were very close) for the past 2 years (they were a few months old when we got them) and while they were/are showing typical signs of old age (the one that passed away more so) his death was rather sudden, he was full of life in the days leading up to it. My OH found him and said he looked as they he had jumped from the middle shelf in the cage instead of using the tunnel (he always did this) and he must've landed wrong or it just took so much out of him). Anyway when he found him the other hamster was sitting in the bed and whimpering.

On to the point of the post: This is probably very stupid but; I'm planning on cleaning out their cage, and I wasnt sure whether I should keep a little bit of bedding of theirs that has the scent of the little one that died so it's not a complete shock for the remaning one to be in there alone without his brother or would it be better for him to cope by giving him entirely fresh bedding with no scent of his brother.
    Thanks for any help, and if anyone has any other tips on helping the remaining hamster cope I'd really apreciate it :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's a good idea to keep some of his scent back, it cold help. Hammies prefer if their house has some smell of them anyway so it won't do any harm. Poor little fella, it could be possible to introduce another hammie but that's something you'd need to decide whether you want to take on another one because once he dies of old age then you're left with the new one being alone.

I'd go with the bedding idea and see how you go, if he likes being handled give him more attention than normal and spoil him rotten with his favourite treats and toys.

Advertisement