Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nitromors-white residue question

Options
  • 05-10-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,
    Could someone please give me advice on the following.

I've used Nitromors varnish stripper on a teak sideboard to remove the dark varnish on it. I followed the instructions but what looks like a 'white residue' was left behind. When I wipe it down with methylated spirits or white spirits, it goes away and I can see the natural wood but then the 'white residue appearance' comes back when it dries!

Anyone any ideas on what I did wrong or what I can do to fix it? Don't want to go near the rest of the sideboard with nitromors until I can sort it out.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dathi

ye it sometimes happens if it disappears when you wet it with meths then it will be fine when you refinish it. just give it a light sand with 320 grit sandpaper to give your new finish a key and be careful on the edges. as it might be veneered and you don't wan to sand through the veneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mongolianyurt

Thanks for that. So it is nothing to worry about, just take it off with fine sandpaper and continue as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dathi

no don't try to sand it of just give it a light sand to allow the new finish to get a good grip on the wood

Advertisement