Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can we do?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

A lot of negativity on the board lately, we can help ourselves. These are just some of the things I have been personally making a big effort to do the last couple of years. There is no need for criticisim in this thread, this should be positive things most of us can do

1. Complain to local reps and TDs when I see lack of action or poor action. I posted list of contact e-mails in other thread. Let them know, they are getting paid well enough.

2. If im going out for a few pints, I drink in the city centre. If im out for dinner, I dine in the city centre. Creation of a vibrant city centre is vital to getting positivity in the city, making it a better place to be and more enjoyable for all. I like a pint in my local as much as the next man, but i have made the decison to spend my euros in our city centre as much as I can.

3. Support your local arts, plenty of stuff on in Garter Lane, Theatre Royal, Forum etc

4. Buy Irish, not always possible as the Irish one is often a bit more expensive so you can only do what you can afford.

5. Keep Waterford tidy, its my home town, I love it, I wouldnt dream of throwing rubbish on ground anywhere and if I see a newspaper or empty bottle on the street I often pick it up and stick it in the bin.

6. Be helpful to tourists, if they look a bit lost ask, even if they are fine, they go away with good impression. From past experience they are usually looking for Waterford Crystal or the main shopping area.

7. If you are lucky enough to have a job, turn up on time and do your job in as efficient a manner as you possibly can. If Ireland got the reputation as having a very efficient and work ethic workforce, companies would want to set up here.

8. Promote Waterford when you can, especially when visiting other counties/countries. This includes not slagging off your own county/country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Max Powers wrote: »
    4. Buy Irish, not always possible as the Irish one is often a bit more expensive so you can only do what you can afford.

Great point, but it's very confusing out there at the moment. The Musgrave group (Supervalu, Centra, Londis, Daybreak, Mace, etc) used 45% Irish products, Aldi/Lidl use 85% Irish products (ie: meats, chicken, fresh produce).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

The Musgrave group (Supervalu, Centra, Londis, Daybreak, Mace, etc) used 45% Irish products.

this really annoys me considering Ireland is 800-900% self sufficient in beef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

9. pick up your dogs shíte off the middle of the path please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

10. Have a look around town for what you need before ordering online.

Was having trouble sourcing specific RCA components and cables both around town and online until someone suggested Toner's in The Glen/Ballybricken. Was going to pay roughly €30 online at least, ended up getting what I needed for €15 total in Toner's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Great point, but it's very confusing out there at the moment. The Musgrave group (Supervalu, Centra, Londis, Daybreak, Mace, etc) used 45% Irish products, Aldi/Lidl use 85% Irish products (ie: meats, chicken, fresh produce).

Musgrave carry more stock than Aldi,

for example if Aldi had just 2 items of stock and both were Irish they could say they carry 100% Irish Stock.

However, if Musgrave carried 3 items of stock and 2 of the items were Irish (Same as Aldi) they could only say that 66% of their stock is Irish

Punters would only see that all the stock in Aldi is Irish and bemoan the fact that Musgrave only had 66% Irish and slag them off

Remember, There's Lies, Damn Lies and statistics:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Or just open a new thread on boards to have someone else come up with that answer for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

gscully wrote: »
    Or just open a new thread on boards to have someone else come up with that answer for you ;)
    I did both...boards didn't help...

cocoshovel wrote: »

This..

For me this is one of the things I really hate about living here. O'Connell St is destroyed in it. A couple of grand fine would sort it fast enough. Its just not enforced though..

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Edz87 wrote: »
    This..

For me this is one of the things I really hate about living here. O'Connell St is destroyed in it. A couple of grand fine would sort it fast enough. Its just not enforced though..

Too right. Of course what'll happen is that they'll fine someone one the outer ring road for a little dog **** and leave the travellers' horses ****e all over the place there. It's a nightmare to walk dogs along that road with all the ****e. Can't stand people who won't clean up after their dogs but if the law was enforced can anyone see a traveller getting fined €500 or whatever it is for their horse ****ting on the road or footpath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Waterford laddy

great thread -
    i do as much as i can in the city centre -
    shop local
    locals clothes shops
    locally owned electrical shops
    locals cafes & restaurants
    Pubs in city centre

im trying to set up a voluntary group for tourist info -
    people wearing an "ask me" Shirt or jacket
    fully trained in tourist info -
    each person to do 5 hours a week
    and located on john Roberts square, The Mall & The Quay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Great idea Waterford Laddy, i think they have a kiosk like that in Galway Eyre Square.

More like that lads and ladies, ideas not discussion. Please open a separate thread if need to discuss in more detail otherwise this thread will ramble off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

plug plug & plug

http://www.imagineartsfestival.com/

Lets see if we can match the arts festivals in the other cities! add it on facebook & share with your friends

great idea .... lets be positive!

It's better to light a candle than curse the dark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Was having trouble sourcing specific RCA components and cables both around town and online until someone suggested Toner's in The Glen/Ballybricken. Was going to pay roughly €30 online at least, ended up getting what I needed for €15 total in Toner's.

Good point. Its often cheaper to buy it in a normal shop. I often check online to get a sense of what's a fair price, and then go into town to buy it (unless they are ripping me off of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

yeah toners is a grand little place.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Spending a couple of euro's even on a coffee in town, will have you in there and walking about. Imho more people add to the vibracy of the city and will bring more people back to enjoy it when they have more than a couple of euro to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

letsbet wrote: »
    Too right. Of course what'll happen is that they'll fine someone one the outer ring road for a little dog **** and leave the travellers' horses ****e all over the place there. It's a nightmare to walk dogs along that road with all the ****e. Can't stand people who won't clean up after their dogs but if the law was enforced can anyone see a traveller getting fined €500 or whatever it is for their horse ****ting on the road or footpath?

On a related issue (of horses, not necessarily travellers) I saw an infuriating thing today. Two lads were riding horses (or ponies or whatever they are) on the cork road. It's one thing when they're out on the road holding up traffic etc. but these two lads were going along on the footpath and just knocking people out of the way. They weren't flying along by any means but still going fairly quickly and not taking any care of who was around them. One girl who they forced their way past looked shocked and scared. Every part of me hoped that they'd bump into the wrong person who'd teach them a lesson.

10. Be more positive about your city,country, what you have, your health, your family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Max Powers wrote: »
    10. Be more positive about your city,country, what you have, your health, your family and friends.

Let me guess. Mortgage paid off and employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Media999 wrote: »

Either one of them would be nice....

Media999 wrote: »

No, negative equity like a lot of people and have been out of work for over 2 years up to recently. Took a job that pays about 100 more than the dole. This thread is trying to be constructive so keep the negativity for your billy mcCarthy/joe duffy phone ins or another thread

• Advertisement

11. Show some manners in your dealings: please, smile (without looking like a lunatic), thank you, etc. Park in parking spaces not on double-yellows, dont be an obstruction to other drivers or pedestrians whether it be in shop car park or in the city centre.

12. Do as much as possible of your Xmas gift buying locally. CHeck out and support the market in red sqaure and garter lane (when in place in december) etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think there is a great deal happening already. In the face of all the problems in the country, we have the new Waterford Crystal, the Viking longship, the museums. Yes there is a lot you can point to as problems, but some things are happening. If you have walked around the Viking Triangle it is obvious that there are things moving, lovely craft studio and prospects of more artists' studios.

Be positive about our city, if you can do anything to contribute, do it. If you have any influence to stop vandalism, do it. If we can be positive in the face of all the problems in the country it will be reflected in the atmosphere of the city. It seems idealistic but attitude is everything. Lets Love Waterford!

lots of facebook pages for attractions in Waterford!

if you use it .... add them as your friends & share with your friends ...

www.itsafeeling.com is a good one http://www.itsafeeling.com/

Spraoi, Waterford Treasures, Christchurch cathedral, Theatre Royal are all on there ......... spread the word about Ireland's BEST city!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

im trying to set up a voluntary group for tourist info -
    people wearing an "ask me" Shirt or jacket
    fully trained in tourist info -
    each person to do 5 hours a week
    and located on john Roberts square, The Mall & The Quay

Great idea, I have had a similar idea for a while but with little or no contacts etc

If you want to send me a PM to exchange any ideas I would be more than happy to help.

I asked anyone who is buying me an Xmas present that they try and buy local products or buy locally at least. I will be doing same obviously.

it's not in the city I know but next July 16-22 The Munster Fleadh will be held in Dungarvan.

www.munsterfleadh.ie

The Fleadh usually attracts about 10,000 people many from abroad ....

lots of people will travel from Limerick, Clare, West Cork & Kerry & many of these will visit the city too while in the county ...

lets help spread the word ....if tourists who are in the country decide to come to The Deise to experience some Trad music & culture instead of heading to Galway or Clare or elsewhere it's great for the city & county!

buy Azzurri Waterford GAA or Waterford Utd gear instead of Nike / Adidas or some other multi-nationals soccer gear!

urge all people who see people drinking on the street or whatever to be reported. Saw a gang of lads having a cider picnic today on Peter Street entrance to City Square, they were there both times i passed so rang the gards, I hope they have the common sense to take their drink.

These were only young lads too in their early 20s, standing around sharing a flaggin of cider intimidating all those who passed by including tourists in the area, old people coming out of mass etc. This is not a good image for our city or our Viking triangle/tourist area.

Waterford Gardai 305300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

I was quoted €200 more for a camera lense in Waterford than Dublin.
    When purchasing a second lense went to a new store & no movement
    on the price but in Dublin they reduced the price for me!!!
    I tried to shop local but what's the point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I agree.

HOWEVER!

I think everything youve said SHOULD BE standard for most people,

They should be doing all this anyway its your civic duty! I think the day that you have to remind people to do their civic duty is when things are bad!

Advertisement