Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can we do?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bards wrote: »
    ...the established parties can only blame themsleves when we the people, who are fed up with the endless lies and political spin and politics as usual, suddenly vote the only remaining alternative, which is SF in.

The fools in this cas are FF, FG and labour.

If you think that Sinn Fein don't get involved in spin, lies and politics you are not very clued into Irish Politics.

Every single party in this country, including Fine Gael, can be found very much guilty of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Sully wrote: »
    If you think that Sinn Fein don't get involved in spin, lies and politics you are not very clued into Irish Politics.

Every single party in this country, including Fine Gael, can be found very much guilty of the above.

I never said they didnt, but it is the only option left open to us, unless the establishment start telling the truth and stop the spin and kite flying etc etc.

It is up to them to change the way politics is done in ireland as promised by FG but so far have failed to deliver

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I never said they didnt, but it is the only option left open to us, unless the establishment start telling the truth and stop the spin and kite flying etc etc.

It is up to them to change the way politics is done in ireland as promised by FG but so far have failed to deliver

So you vote in another crowd that lie, mislead, jump in with political spin and screw the people just as much as the main parties have been doing? There in opposition and they have some of the highest expenses compared to the main parties! Economic Policies that are pie in the sky and laughable by many.

You wont get change by voting in another batch of bad eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Sully wrote: »
    So you vote in another crowd that lie, mislead, jump in with political spin and screw the people just as much as the main parties have been doing? There in opposition and they have some of the highest expenses compared to the main parties! Economic Policies that are pie in the sky and laughable by many.

You wont get change by voting in another batch of bad eggs.

The only thing that SF has going for them is that they have no friends in the permanent Govt or vested interrests. So in one way they are free from these shackles and can slash the public pay bill, golden payments, inflated pensions, croke park agreement, etc. that we in the private sector actually pay for.

How do you know SF wont bring in change? Why arent FG bringing in change right now, is it because they have too many vested intrests to look after?

I say vote SF, and see what they do, afterall what have we got to loose, not much by the looks of it if you ask me

The only thing that SF has going for them is that they have no friends in the permanent Govt or vested interrests. So in one way they are free from these shackles and can slash the public pay bill, golden payments, inflated pensions, croke park agreement, etc. that we in the private sector actually pay for.

Friends in the 'permanent government'? You mean the Civil Servants? You seem to be forgetting that Fianna Fail have been in government for decades. Fine Gael has been elected now, what, twice? Same with Labour. So it seems a bit far fetched to suggest that they wont cut salaries, croke park agreement because they have friends inside.

Labour are the ones with the friends - the Unions. They are very close to the unions, and this is why they wont tackle the bloat in the public sector and call for better reform of such. Croke Park agreement included.
    How do you know SF wont bring in change?

They are elected just up the road in the North. They are implementing austerity measures there that they are campaigning against down here. Water Charges, Property Tax, Cuts, etc.

The same party in the South and the North have huge expenses and have been involved in a lot of expenses scandals. Remember the Ink Gate Scandal? Thanks to Sinn Fein. Gerry Adams and a select bunch of party members have been bucking the recession and national austerity on their frequent cross-Atlantic trips in club-class. Staying in very upmarket hotels in New Work with rooms going from €526 to €1,090.

Lots of examples of Sinn Fein talking out of their arse. Just like a lot of the parties.
    Why arent FG bringing in change right now, is it because they have too many vested intrests to look after?

There making modest reform, in my opinion, and not the bigger changes I and other voters have expected. I have repeatedly called for better attempts at reform and I think one of the biggest missed opportunities, in terms of the government, was Labour not bothering to scrap a lot of the absolutely crazy expenses.
    I say vote SF, and see what they do, afterall what have we got to loose, not much by the looks of it if you ask me

Ah yeah, sure there the only crowd left with a track record of pie in the sky economic policies. Quoting economists who don't agree with their economic policies. For most of their ideas they say a wealth tax will generate huge money but cant state clearly how much and so resort back to the pension fund often quoting figures that exceed the value of the fund to begin with. Maths isn't their strong point!

Sinn Fein and the whole ULA bunch are nowhere near a party that deserves to be put into government based on their own internal issues, their past that keeps clinging to them like a cold and their policies that are, as many agree, completely unworkable. This is why they don't do very well in elections or referendum campaigns (which are always based on lies).

Fine Gael / Labour are far from perfect with Ministers that should be told to cop the **** on and clean up their act, with policies that need to be getting better results and better pace at political and public sector reform. But these two parties have a track record of putting Ireland back into a better financial state and looking after state funds better than Fianna Fail.

You and other people may be disgusted at their policies, lack of reform and dishonesty at times but it looks like we will be the first party to walk away from the EU Bailout Programme next year and return to the markets, after already making a number of small returns successfully already. We are on the cards for a deal on our debt, despite many insisting we wont. We are widely viewed across Europe of a country that got into a rut, put their head down and are doing very well to leave the bailout programme at the end of next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

Max Powers wrote: »
    A lot of negativity on the board lately, we can help ourselves.

1. Complain to local reps and TDs when I see lack of action or poor action.

You start a post complaining about a lot of negativity on the Boards & you're first recommendation is to complain........:eek:

You're just a wanna be s***e stirrer without a spoon!

Unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

SPQRI wrote: »
    You start a post complaining about a lot of negativity on the Boards & you're first recommendation is to complain........:eek:

You're just a wanna be s***e stirrer without a spoon!

Unreal!

not a clue...

Complaining to those who should be doing a better job funded by our taxes is not negative, in fact its a positive step, let them know we arent happy with what they are/nt delivering.

I would urge all on here to complain to TDs, reps etc. The issues we are facing are massive, you will feel it when you cant get a job here, are bringing a loved one to hospital in Cork becuse it isnt routinely done n Waterford/SE anymore, when you have to leave your family for 5 days a week (or more) to get some work etc

Also, remember our reps poor performance when it comes to election time

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

I find it so sad to see Waterford struggling and taking hit after hit. I love Waterford and don't want to leave, it's hard to forget the negatives but there are still positives and good things happening.
    I agree that the Winterval festival sounds great. Hopefully people make the most of what's on offer as they seem to have lots of low-cost attractions for families etc. and they should bring a bit of life into the place-and hopefully people from outside Waterford!

The Winter Running League starts this Thursday, I haven't done it before but am looking forward to it, people always speak highly of it - a low cost, low pressure way of getting out and active.

The Imagine festival seemed good, I saw some good plays. Hopefully they can expand on it in the future.

Others may disagree but I like Sinnotts, the first bar/club in Waterford I've really liked in ages.

Friends of mine in other parts of the country don't all realise how "bad" Waterford is as they still like it and like to visit. Hopefully we can keep an overload of negativity at bay or we could lose visitors and more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

There are no alpha males in politics; no one with vision, no statesmen.

In fact most of the political class receive their instructions, directly or indirectly, from finance.

Many are scared of voters and offer vacuous solutions to problems and change on a whim.

This problem is not isolated to Waterford, but is present across most western democracies. You can email them all you like - but in the end the only way to get things done is to wheel out the guillotine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

comeraghs wrote: »

To me, this is just a list of people who I wouldn't pi$$ on if they where on fire. Post some more if you want - it won't make a jot of difference.

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    To me, this is just a list of people who I wouldn't pi$$ on if they where on fire. Post some more if you want - it won't make a jot of difference.

Dum Dum, i have to disagree, if these politicans all got 10000 e-mails/letter re:WRH, they would know how serious teh electorate is about the issue, it would basically be a sign saying, get this sorted or else forget about next election, its democracy in its most basic form. Similarily, if 20000 people from Waterford were protesting in town, that would be on the news, people would take notice. Every person can do their bit

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

Max Powers wrote: »
    Dum Dum, i have to disagree, if these politicans all got 10000 e-mails/letter re:WRH, they would know how serious teh electorate is about the issue, it would basically be a sign saying, get this sorted or else forget about next election, its democracy in its most basic form. Similarily, if 20000 people from Waterford were protesting in town, that would be on the news, people would take notice. Every person can do their bit

Couldn't agree more.We all can do a bit to protest against this.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Right now, I can't see myself voting for any of the current options. Interesting article in the Sindo by John Drennan advocating a Reform Party; http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/a-few-good-men-and-women-are-all-we-need-for-the-reform-of-politics-3281705.html

There is definitely a gap in the market for something like this. If they had as a core policy true regional development, implementing the National Spatial Strategy or a new version thereof, then thats where my No 1 would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Reform my arse the only Reform we need is 50% less td,s with 60% less pay with no expenses and no pensions!!! Thats the only Reform i want!!!!!!

Lads, can we keep this thread for positive things that we can do, leave politics out of it. Otherwise a lot of the good suggestions get lost in the arguing.

I hear there is a march (WRH etc) on Saturday (front of N&S), we should all support it, think it is starting at the Glen and marching to red square.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Fair enough Max, I thought I was suggesting something positive but we'll keep the politics off this one.
    Mind you, describing John Roberts Sq. as 'Red Square' sounds political to me. No red flags flying on Saturday comrades.:)

Get in and support Winterval festival, even if you are only in a few times lookin or if you can afford buying a hot chocolate, it all adds to the vibrancy of the city centre and a better experience for all of us, tourists, businesses etc.

im doing all my xmas shoppin in city centre (not much admittedly) but i have also asked anyone buying for me i would prefer to buy local. I have asked friends and family members to shop local where possible too.

A lot of stuff in the news about the rates increases for a lot of businesses (decreases for some businesses). I think we all agree here that rates increases for any business would quite probably lead to job losses/businesses in city centre closing down. I would urge all to write to Phil Hogan and Bruton in Jobs, enterprise and employment about it.
    Basically saying that the decreases are great for some but the increases will cause business closures and job losses so i would recommend that the appeals made by owners be taken into account and that no rates increases be applied to any business. Especially important in a city with 25% unemployment.

philip.hogan@oireachtas.ie

press.office@djei.ie

As always lads, if you disagree with what im writing fair enough but please keep arguments to the politics thread and this thread for positive suggestions we can all do. Ta

I know we all hear it but reminder; just ask yourself are you doing all you can to support city centre:
    • shopping in city centre as much as possible (never so important with recent news)
    • eating and drinking in city restaurants/cafes/pubs - help create a vibrant pcity centre
    • heritage week - a lot to see on your door step, a lot of em free.
    • let others know of whats on offer
    • drink local beer (Metalman and Dungarvan) and try to but local stuff where you can afford it - support city and county jobs
    • support local arts events/bands/theatre etc - plenty of local talent to see
    • as always, if you are not happy about tax payer issues (lack of investment, delays in works, whatever your views), let the powers that be know, write to them, complaining on here does nothing. - people differ on how effective anything like this can be but if they dont know, they defintely wont do anything about it.
    • Try to be as upbeat and positive as possible (Difficult i know) but everyone going around depressed, wallowing and spreading misery doesnt help, if we have no hope, we have nothing.

• Advertisement

Waterford City isn't marketed well enough IMO. Considering what our gorgeous city has on offer in terms of restaurants, cafes and heritage - we should be screaming from the roof tops. The Facebook pages for the new business group does a good job on Facebook in recent months, hats off to them for that. There seems to be a few popping up so I am not sure if there independent or all from the one group. But fair play to them.

For example, with Discover Tramore I make it my business to deliver brochures and maps of Tramore to the hotels in Waterford City and the Museums. Whereas we have nothing about Waterford City here in Tramore! The B&Bs, Hotels etc. do their own marketing for the City in recommending places to go and see, but a lot of people just go into the Crystal Factory and move on. That's all they know about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 jimmymallet

Set up a mobile tourist box like in Dublin, with someone handing out maps and brochures for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Clothes is a big problem for me in town. I would love to support them but the selection is poor and prices are high.

In comparison Kilkenny have a much better selection or online for cheaper and more choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Set up a mobile tourist box like in Dublin, with someone handing out maps and brochures for the city.

There is city ambassadors on the city streets already, they are dressed in purple polo shirts and are armed with maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Nypd wrote: »
    There is city ambassadors on the city streets already, they are dressed in purple polo shirts and are armed with maps.

I'll be honest and say I'm only in town 2, maybe 3 times a week, and not for a long time, but I've never seen one of those people. :o

• Christmas soon so help struggling city centre retailers/pubs/restaurants/businesses/employment, do your Christmas shopping in city centre.
    • Christmas party night, support city centre places.
    • Get in and support Winterval, if only you are walking around enjoying the free stuff, browsing or having a coffee.
    • I have requested that my Xmas gift is bought in Waterford, preferably Irish made.

Not only will the place be looking great with Winterval but you will be helping bring vitality and 'a buzz' to the city centre. There are plenty of tourists and day-trippers coming here for Winterval so help them out if they are looking lost. Yes, we all know you can get some things cheaper on-line but this is about being positive and helping ourselves in the long run. If you are lucky enough to have some money in your pocket, spend local and we, our family, kids etc will all reap the rewards into the future.

Support local charities this Christmas. WLR Lions club, WRH cystic fibrosis, Waterford hospice construction project, buy a gift for a needy child thing etc. Charities have taken a bashing lately but at end of day try to give your money where it will do most good.

I gave a couple euros to nice people collecting for cystic fibrosis in Cathedral Sq, i commented on the top-ups scandal and they assured me that the money goes straight to renovate a couple of rooms for children with cystic fibrosis in WRH, it doesnt go up to Dublin where it is reduced by admin, mgt etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JaneDoe111

I try to shop in town in an effort to shop local. However the variety/choice in town is being degraded as shops close down. One of the biggest factors is rates. What percentage of Corpo income goes on wages? For example...if planning submissions/contributions are down by 80% since the boom then has the planning department been reduced commensurably? Given the fixed planning process timescale....it stands to reason that somebody is not working as hard as they did during the bubble....

its worth saying again, only a few days left till Santa, SUPPORT CITY CENTRE JOBS, BUY LOCAL.

Glad to say that 100% of my presents were bought local, Waterford city vouchers etc. If we all follow thru on what our best intentions are, the place will be much better for it.

• Advertisement

Christmas soon so help struggling city centre retailers/pubs/restaurants/businesses/employment, do your Christmas shopping in city centre.
    Christmas party night, support city centre places.
    Get in and support Winterval, if only you are walking around enjoying the free stuff, browsing or having a coffee.
    I have requested that my Xmas gift is bought in Waterford, preferably Irish made and all the things i buy are bought in Waterford

Not only will the place be looking great with Winterval but you will be helping bring vitality and 'a buzz' to the city centre. There are plenty of tourists and day-trippers coming here for Winterval so help them out if they are looking lost. Yes, we all know you can get some things cheaper on-line but this is about being positive and helping ourselves in the long run. If you are lucky enough to have some money in your pocket, spend local and we, our family, kids etc will all reap the rewards into the future.

Advertisement