Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC excessive usage

• 05-10-2011 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

I just received a letter this morning (dated 3 October) detailing that we have exceeded our usage, and that if we do not curb our usage we will have to be upgraded to fibre power broadband. The treating letter states we will be penalised and have to pay €79.99. It also states that we have downloaded 647.23000000000002. This is not possible and in order to have done that we would have to have downloaded at the minimum of 161.8075 GBs per week that’s 32 movies a day. This is simply not possible as we are both full time 9 to 6 5 to 6days a week.

I also received a txt at 10.40 am today as follow:

To: +######
    Received: 10.40 am

UPC crews have identified and are repairing a general fault in your area. We do not need to call to your house regarding the issue.

I have also called 2 UPC personal on your 1908 number and both have confirmed that no such letter or txt was send to me which is odd as I have both in my possession at this very minute.

1. Not only have we had a treating letter sent to us from UPC,
    2. UPC have denied the letter ever been sent,
    3. UPC have sent me a txt which UPC crews have denied sending from the following number: +353833010102,
    4. UPC has confirmed twice today that no letter was sent, no txt was sent and that there are no outstanding issues regarding excessive uploading/downloading from what the letter states.

has any one had anything similar or the same????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They've obviously sent the letter to the wrong person. Ignore it, and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

If im honest im insulted by the letter and somewhat angry. In a war of words they messed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

jor el wrote: »
    They've obviously sent the letter to the wrong person. Ignore it, and move on.

Yeah. UPC's right arm always knows what its left arm is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Maybe its genuinely true and somebody's stealing your wifi...<<<<LOL nah its probably just them....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ask to speak to the customer loyalty department and tell them how unhappy you are about this.

They will have better tools to look into what happened here and might give you something for their mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 7golfer

problem could be u torrent, ,
    i dont know much about downloads, but they say;
    if u download off u torrant, it uploads stuff, but charged to u..

i could be wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

7golfer wrote: »
    problem could be u torrent, ,
    i dont know much about downloads, but they say;
    if u download off u torrant, it uploads stuff, but charged to u..

i could be wrong?
    This could be the cause. UPC count download and uploads towards the total.

I had 1.3TB total a few months back due to a download manager getting stuck at 99% of a file and kept retrying. 8gb file ending up using up 700gb.

ok.thanks,, i,ll have to keep an eye on it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/
    can be used to monitor a single pcs usage

need the router to monitor usage if you using multiple devices.

ok thanks ronkmonster,
    i will follow your and other board advice,,,
    thanks to boards another problem solved...
    maybe let u know how things go when next month bill comes in...
    hopefully downloads and uploads lower...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

cheers to all, for your help and advice

Advertisement