Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining the RDF - Which Unit?

• 05-10-2011 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I was discharged from the RDF after three years in 2009 as I had been unable to get enough time off to do 3 star training for two summers in a row.

However I am shortly moving to Dublin and would like to get into it again.

Does anyone know if the RDF are taking people on despite the recruitment freeze, and whether there is any procedure where a recruit has been a member before?

I was in CIS last time (31st based in Limerick), but found the unit tiny, so not many people turned up, and there were too many weirdos in the unit. Am not sure whether to rejoin CIS or try something new. Does anyone know whether if I joined a Cavalry unit I could learn to drive? It's a skill I'm embarrassed not to have, and it would be cool if I could acquire it at the RDF.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Have a look for the unit nearest to you and give them a ring to find out when their next training night is and if you can show up, to my knowledge if you are discharged for less than 3 years you can rejoin back at the level at which you were when you were discharged, but it may have been changed I don't know.

A list of units can be found HERE

As for the driving thing, I'm sorry but I don't know anything about driving cses, i'm infantry...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hogmeister

Thanks Mr Tezza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I'll always have a soft spot for 65 Bn.

I quite enjoyed my time there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

65th A Coy (old 7Bn B Coy swords) - Only unit that counts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

only slightly biased there lads, I don't know the units based around dublin but your choice shud be based on whos closest to you not necessarily what unit people think it best, I'm sure theres units from all different disciplines around dublin so there'd be no shortage of people who'd take you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

+1 on 65th Bn if your looking to do the infantry thing. Then it depends on what side of the city you end up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

There is a Naval Reserve unit in Dublin if you are looking for something really different and the chance to go on patrol with the PDF.

Advertisement