Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Define "en suite"

Options
  • 05-10-2011 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

kinda a strange one...

but I'm househunting at the moment and this came up in conversation.

Personally I'd expect en suite to mean that the room has another room attached complete with WC, WHB and shower. Others seem to think the shower isn't necessarily a feature of an en suite. Now, technically, neither do I... but why on earth would anyone build a house with an en suite and not put in a shower???

SO has anyone here ever experienced viewing a room that was advertised as en suite without there being a shower? Would it be stated in the ad if it was only a WC and WHB or are en suites generally complete with shower if advertised as en suite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

why would it have no shower ? Maybe becasue of the space.

as for what En suite stands for it means "and suite". Technically a bathroom suite would be defined as a toilet and sink. so in literal terms it is an en suite and advertised correctly.

now most people would expect a shower aswell but Its advertised correctly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I would expect a shower too, but I've seen a few en-suites without.
    That's not half as annoying as seeing, 'Sole use of main bathroom'. Which really just means you're the only person who doesn't have an en-suite and that all the friends of the others will be using the bathroom of which you have 'sole' use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Be very specific it would need a bath or shower,toilet and sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

yes, I would expect a bath or shower- either is fine, but more than a toilet and a basin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

En suite: Toilet, sink, shower.
    WC: Toilet, sink.

That's it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

An ex boyfriend of mine had just a toilet (basically in a big cupboard) in the master bedroom of his house. It was really weird and they called it an en suite but I would always consider a sink and shower as well to be the proper thing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I've got a shower in the corner that looks like a wardrobe. And a sink in the room itself but no toilet. Can't remember if the room was advertised as en-suite though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

I went to see a room in a shared house a view years ago that was advertised as en suite. Sure enough, the en suite had a toilet, sink and shower.

What the ad failed to mention however, was that it was a shared en suite! So another house mate (I was moving in with strangers) had a key to the bedroom and would come and go whenever they needed to use the shower... And there I was thinking that having an en suite would give me additional privacy!

My reactions were something like this:

:confused:
    > :eek::eek:

Needless to say, I did not take the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

My SIL has a house where two bedrooms share an ensuite and there is also a main bathroom (3 bed house). It's weird cos if you're using the ensuite you have to make sure the lock on the other side is done too and remember to unlock both when you're done.

Advertisement