Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing the gun that is printed on licence

Options
  • 05-10-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I applied for my first rifle licence a few months ago on a CZ 452 rifle. A month went pass and i changed my mind on the make of rifle so I rang the garda that was dealing with the licence , he told me wait till the licence comes through and then change the rifle name on the licence before I get the gun .
    Today the licence came in the post and I rang him about changing the rifle name and he told me that I would have to buy the rifle that's on the licence and trade it in after 2 months for the rifle that I wanted in the first place. This sounds to me that he is to lazy to do the paper work .
    Is it possible to change the rifle name on the licence instead of getting a gun that I do no prefer and wasting unnecessary money ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I presume that it's not just the name that's different what about the serial number??

Put in for a substitution for the gun you now want. It should only take a couple of days to get the sub license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

In theory it shouldn't take more than 3 weeks to get a substitution but it can take over a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ClarkyTrd

You can just put in for a substitution of firearm, I done it, I applied for a new Winchester Wildcat and had problems getting the rifle (long story...). So all I done was filled out the form for a new CZ 452 and had it sorted within a week.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

FCA1 form is used, its another 80 smackeroos of course. its a nonsense saying you have to buy the gun. The license system doesnt actually force you to buy any gun. Its merely makes it legal for you to own that specified gun.

BoatMad wrote: »
    FCA1 form is used, its another 80 smackeroos of course. its a nonsense saying you have to buy the gun. The license system doesnt actually force you to buy any gun. Its merely makes it legal for you to own that specified gun.

..........."its another 80 smackeroos of course".................

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Above Not True^^^^^^^^^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

clivej wrote: »
    ..........."its another 80 smackeroos of course".................

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Above Not True^^^^^^^^^

Good point!
    you already paid €80 and you are getting form amended for new serial number, it would be scéal eile if you change calibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Good point!
    you already paid €80 and you are getting form amended for new serial number, it would be scéal eile if you change calibre.

I think you are wrong about the different calibre as well. I changed my .22 to .223 and cost nothing!

dev110 wrote: »
    I think you are wrong about the different calibre as well. I changed my .22 to .223 and cost nothing!

Both .224 calibre

I am referring to my friend Paulo who had to change his .223 to .243....

Both .224 calibre

I am referring to my friend Paulo who had to change his .223 to .243....

Always nice to have a friend :rolleyes:

Also it would be different like in poulo's case going from a foxing calibre to a deer calibre.

Always nice to have a friend :rolleyes:

Also it would be different like in poulo's case going from a foxing calibre to a deer calibre.

It is a different calibre...

• Advertisement

It is a different calibre...

So basically you are saying that a super will grant a .223 to a person that had a .22 for a month because it is the same calibre?

So basically you are saying that a super will grant a .223 to a person that had a .22 for a month because it is the same calibre?

No, a Super will do what ever he or she deems correct under their interpretation of the commissioners guidelines.

I know several that did a straight swap for a .22lr to a .223, I know several who had to put in a new application.
    Different Supers.

Good point!
    No, a Super will do what ever he or she deems correct under their interpretation of the commissioners guidelines.

I know several that did a straight swap for a .22lr to a .223, I know several who had to put in a new application.
    Different Supers.

So basically you are not the one to be telling the OP that it would be a considered as a different calibre it is up to the Super as with most things with the licensing of guns.

So in the bold text you are saying that the .22 and the .223 are different calibres if they had to send in a new application??

Going in circles here Tack???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I changed from a .22 hornet to a .223 without having to pay the 80 euro

Don't quote me on this but a substitution is from one unrestricted license to another unrestricted license and caliber does not come into it.

But you can't go from rifle to shotgun or vise versa

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Tipp-Ex. Jobs a good un.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

clivej wrote: »
    Don't quote me on this but a substitution is from one unrestricted license to another unrestricted license and caliber does not come into it.

Not necessarily.

It states "like for like" so unrestricted or restricted isn't really an issue unless changing from one to the other.

For example an over/under shotgun could be changed for a 3 shot semi auto because they are both unrestricted, they are both 12g, both shotguns, etc.

Now when i changed my .223 for a .308 i was told the .223 was a varmint, lower powered centrefire, and the .308 was a deer legal, high power centrefire rifle so therefore its not a like for like sub.

Yet i know lads that have changed different calibers (.22lr for .223 C/F) with no problems and others cannot change a 6.5 for a .308.

It really is down to the Super, and another fine example of clear cut, well defined legisaltion.:rolleyes:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

i got a sub from the hmr to a 223, they initially said i would have to apply again to which i pointed out the commissioners guidelines stating, like for like is unrestricted caliber to another unrestricted caliber so long as you dont intend shooting deer with the new rifle. No probs then she said, 3days for the sub to come through

Advertisement