Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation level Maths

• 05-10-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Looks like I may take this level :( I'm doing mainly honours in everything so it's not that I suffer from below average level of intelligence, it's just that I can't grasp Maths, never could all throughout my school life and here we are again. I can get the point's I want but what are my prospects of college now? What courses accept foundation Maths?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Not that many worthwhile courses i'm afraid.

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=26

Have a look at that. Choose Foundation Level Mathematics and then "Definitely Accepts" on the next page. You get 388 courses but the selection is fairly poor.

I'd try and go for a D3 at OL. You've 7/8 months left, plenty of time to try and work at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Can you get yourself tested for dyscalculia or some such? You really really don't want to take foundation. You'll cancel yourself out from so many colleges. Work your arse off, just get the D3 in ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Do not do foundation level maths. For your own good, it restricts you so much. A D3 should not be that unrealistic, how did you do in the JC in maths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I think it would be a very bad idea. You have a whole year, work work work at maths and you should be able to scrape a pass in it. I did absolutely no work for maths as I was missing a lot of the year and I'm by no means good at the subject but I crammed like hell for the last month and ended up with a C2. Work hard from here til next June and you should be fine. Are grinds an option for you? Or maybe getting a classmate to help you out? Would your teacher be willing to give you a few extra classes to help you on things you can't grasp? Work hard from here until the mocks and then reevaluate your situation. Do not give up on maths this early on in the year. You have plenty of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I did the leaving back in 96 I have Dyslexia and always struggled badly with maths, I didnt find out I was dyslexic untill after the leaving when my parents decided to inform me properley. I did ordinary and got a D1 which I was happy with, what got me through was the exam papers and a good teacher who was able to describe how you get to the answer not just use this formula and there you go. Explaining why you use the formula and how you could use this in a real life situation really helped as it lets you form a picture of where you are going. Don't give up on it

• Advertisement
Advertisement