Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to veg unfriendly area

Options
  • 05-10-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Off to a very veg unfriendly area for a couple of weeks. Just looking for some advice on bringing some sort high energy snacks to keep me ticking over during the day.

Any advice much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Asia is veg unfriendly?

What gives you that idea. Tofu is a standard option in all meals in the thai places I've been to. Easy to ask for no fish sauce etc.
    Maybe i'm missing something obvious (not a vegetarian so apologies if so)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

where you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Hmmm where are you going? surely they have a market/shop you can buy some fresh fruit, bread, some kind of carb (bread/crackers), veggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Where are you going? Texas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Make sure you know how to communicate 'vegetarian, no meat and no fish' in the local language. Walked out of a spanish restaurant last week after my veg pizza came with fcukin anchovies on it. How no onion became with anchovies still puzzles me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wit, did you edit the OP since my post, or did I read AREA as ASIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

You read it wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

As has already been said, fruit and bread are great. Also, popcorn and cereal bars are favourites of mine to bring places :)

I find swotting up on local veggie options helps.
    Will you have cooking facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

si_guru wrote: »
    Where are you going? Texas?

I went to Texas as a veggie! Had no bother there were lots of things I ate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I find swotting up on local veggie options helps.
    Will you have cooking facilities?

this. i went to prague recently. first time i was there i existed soley on cheese, second time after a bit of looking i found out there were 19 veggie restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

flikflak wrote: »
    I went to Texas as a veggie! Had no bother there were lots of things I ate.

I visited family in Texas for a couple of weeks and did most of the cooking as they're not veggie and I'm raising a veggie baby, talk about a nightmare!!!! Went into the supermarket and it was bigger than anywhere I've seen in my life but the section with veggie basics took up about 2 feet wide in one of the aisles. It was really hard to find fresh basic ingredients, most things were processed to within an inch of their lives.

And in the restaurants the waiting staff kept suggesting I have a steak when they heard I was a visitor by my accent, when I told them I was veggie their response was "but it's Texas!! We're the state of beef, you have to try some" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

http://www.happycow.net/ could be of use. Though when I went interrailling I just used lonely planet for vegetarian restaurant recommendations and it was fine (except for Serbia, we don't speak about Serbia).

(except for Serbia, we don't speak about Serbia).

Serbia was fine for me. Ok it took a bit of menu reconnaissance to find some veggie options in the traditional style restaurants.
    But there were loads of Italian options, pies if your on the run or a night out and tasty saladys thing everywhere.
    The fruit and veg were so fresh. I had really lovely food there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I was only really there for a day, and happened to get a very meat-happy restaurant. It's probably fine on the whole.

I was only really there for a day, and happened to get a very meat-happy restaurant. It's probably fine on the whole.

Ah no the cuisine is very meat happy. It is still not so bad though, when you have the time to work around it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Mellor wrote: »
    Asia is veg unfriendly?

Central Asia, yes.

Still got meat on food at times despite it being explained (even at times by our local guide) that I wanted no meat (or fish) in (or even on) my food.

Survived anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Thanks for not bothering your hoop responding to this thread until it was too late!

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Central Asia, yes.

Still got meat on food at times despite it being explained (even at times by our local guide) that I wanted no meat (or fish) in (or even on) my food.

Survived anyway. :)

Glad you hear you survived Zebra. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I brought my own stock cubes with me to Namibia, they don't appear to sell them there :( Not the most veggie-friendly of countries I have to say.

I was in Norway on a work trip in September, even though I'd said in advance I was veggie I ended up eating mostly bread while I was there as bloody well everything seemed to be fish!

• Advertisement
Advertisement