Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Next Great WW2 movie??

• 05-10-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

What would you like to see be the next big WWII movie to come out.

In which theatre of war etc.

Perhaps on concentrating on some unsung battles and/or heros.

The poll is for which armed forces you would like to see portrayed in said movie and perhaps you would like to see a certain battle and or campaign.

My own preference would be a Kriegsmarine movie. I know Das Boot cover the U-boat campaign a bit, but I would like to see something on Commerce Raiders i.e Atlantis, Kormoran, Thor etc

Which armed forces would you like to see portrayed in a movie 17 votes

British
    0% 0 votes
    American
    0% 0 votes
    Soviet
    5% 1 vote
    Japanese
    11% 2 votes
    German
    0% 0 votes
    French
    47% 8 votes
    Polish
    0% 0 votes
    Dutch/Belgian
    5% 1 vote
    Italian
    0% 0 votes
    Hungarian/Romanian
    0% 0 votes
    Finnish
    0% 0 votes
    Australian
    17% 3 votes
    Canadian
    0% 0 votes
    Chinese
    0% 0 votes
    Other Axis
    0% 0 votes
    Other Allied
    0% 0 votes
    I dont want to see any because its been done to death already
    0% 0 votes
    Naval (any Countries)
    0% 0 votes
    Land Campaigns(any Countries)
    11% 2 votes
    Air Campaigns (any Countries)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Great thread idea OP :)

The Commerce Raiders would be a good one alright. They were highly successful, and yet were a lesser known part of the war.

I'd like to see one about Operation Eiche, the daring rescue of Italian dictator Benito Mussolini by German paratroopers in September 1943.
    It was personally ordered by Adolf Hitler, planned by Major Harald Mors, approved by General Kurt Student, and lead by Otto Skorzeny.

AKA The Gran Sasso Raid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Anything from the eastern front would be welcome (other than stalingrad). A bit sick of Hollywood love stories intertwined with different aspects of the war.
    Watched Come and see recently and it is gripping in many ways.

By no way perfect but using trauma as a primary focus rather than a love story is more palatable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'd like ot see more about the Winter war or the Continuation, also prefereably without the Schmaltzy Hollywood lovestory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Quite a few decent Russian/Belurus WW2 movies

The Brest Fortress

Wiki
    It recounts the events surrounding the June 1941 Defense of Brest Fortress against invading Wehrmacht forces in the opening stages of Operation Barbarossa, Nazi Germany's invasion of the Soviet Union during World War II. The movie is accompanied by in media res narration from the perspective of (then) 15-year old Sasha Akimov, and mainly centers on three resistance zones holding out against the protracted German siege, headed by regiment commander Pyotr Gavrilov, the political commissar Yefim Fomin, and the head of the 9th frontier outpost, Andrey Mitrofanovich Kizhevatov.

The Cuckoo(2002)

Wiki
    The Cuckoo (Russian: Кукушка, Kukushka) is a 2002 Russian comedy drama film directed by Aleksandr Rogozhkin. It takes place during World War II from the perspective of opposing Soviet and Finnish soldiers stranded at a Sami woman's farmhouse. "Kukushka" was the nickname given by Soviet soldiers exclusively to lone Finnish snipers, who ambushed their targets from a purpose-built tree-branch-nest. Thus the title refers to both Veikko (the sniper) and Anni (a lone woman living in the forest, much like a cuckoo).

The Star (2002)

Wiki
    It is based on a short story of the same name by Emmanuil Kazakevich, about a group of Soviet scouts working behind enemy lines during Operation Bagration in World War II.

No subs Sorry

Advertisement