Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starving ??????

• 05-10-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

OK so I was told I was 3kgs over weight over the past few weeks I am going on 50/60km spins in the hills about 3 times a week but when I get home I am fecking starving and would eat anything now can somebody please tell me what will fill me up after a spin that will not undo the work I just did on the bike please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

You shouldn't really finish a spin starving, at least not if you're trying to get faster. If you're just going for weight-loss then maybe that's ok.

Anyway, I used to empty the fridge into myself after long spins in Wicklow. I could do 500km a week and still get heavier. For me, a good way to stave off the serious hunger, the type of hunger than has you wondering how the family pet might go taste on toast, is to have large glass of (low fat) milk after immediately after coming in. It's a little like a recovery drink but with less sugar. With that in me, I'd go and shower etc. and hopefully be able to make better choices about what to eat next than the epic binge I'd been planning for the last 20km of the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

niceonetom wrote: »
    You shouldn't really finish a spin starving, at least not if you're trying to get faster. If you're just going for weight-loss then maybe that's ok.

Anyway, I used to empty the fridge into myself after long spins in Wicklow. I could do 500km a week and still get heavier. For me, a good way to stave off the serious hunger, the type of hunger than has you wondering how the family pet might go taste on toast, is to have large glass of (low fat) milk after immediately after coming in. It's a little like a recovery drink but with less sugar. With that in me, I'd go and shower etc. and hopefully be able to make better choices about what to eat next than the epic binge I'd been planning for the last 20km of the spin.

Great advice, I find the same works for me .. large glass of supermilk when in the door. Stops me binging when I come in the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

But I do want to get faster what the hell am I doing wrong :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Eat.

Eat.

Eat.

Just don't eat crap.

If you don't eat you'll get sick. It's very important to fuel your body during and after exercise. Keep up the cycling, eat sensibly and you will lose weight and feel better, just be a bit more patient with it maybe.

The beauty of regular bike training is you can eat as much chocolate as you lke as long as you're putting the miles in ! :D

Carpenter wrote: »
    But I do want to get faster what the hell am I doing wrong :mad::mad:

Are you eating anything on the bike? How hard are you going? Fat-as-you-can stuff or steady endurance riding?

If you're going reasonably hard then you're probably taking about 2 hours for these spins? Right? By that stage most people are running out of glycogen and then body is getting pretty keen for you to replace it. Like NOW. If you eat earlier on the bike - not a lot just enough to convince your body that it has no reason to panic and go into feed-me-now mode - then you won't get as hungry. Don't worry about putting an extra couple of hundred calories down in the first 60 mins of a ride if it allows you to maintain a stronger pace and lessens the likelihood that you'll binge later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Great advice, I find the same works for me .. large glass of supermilk when in the door. Stops me binging when I come in the door.

I third this, someone on here said before to blend milk, ice, banana and almonds. It worked wonders for me since.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    Eat.

Eat.

Eat.

Just don't eat crap.

If you don't eat you'll get sick. It's very important to fuel your body during and after exercise. Keep up the cycling, eat sensibly and you will lose weight and feel better, just be a bit more patient with it maybe.

The beauty of regular bike training is you can eat as much chocolate as you lke as long as you're putting the miles in ! :D

This too. But maybe eat well during your spin as well, less chance of hooving too much food in on return. Post cycle munchies are the time for crap, try and keep them out of the rest of the diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Are you eating enough to fuel your exercise, i.e. before and during the ride?

Big bowl of porridge before and a banana during works for me. Then just a normal dinner after.

Are you eating anything on the bike? How hard are you going? Fat-as-you-can stuff or steady endurance riding?

If you're going reasonably hard then you're probably taking about 2 hours for these spins? Right? By that stage most people are running out of glycogen and then body is getting pretty keen for you to replace it. Like NOW. If you eat earlier on the bike - not a lot just enough to convince your body that it has no reason to panic and go into feed-me-now mode - then you won't get as hungry. Don't worry about putting an extra couple of hundred calories down in the first 60 mins of a ride if it allows you to maintain a stronger pace and lessens the likelihood that you'll binge later.

Ok so what are we talking about eating when on the bike

Dubba wrote: »
    Are you eating enough to fuel your exercise, i.e. before and during the ride?

Big bowl of porridge before and a banana during works for me. Then just a normal dinner after.

I am eating banana,s and drinking a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

92_mr_t_snickers.jpg

• Advertisement

Snickers COOL :D I like that

For me? I generally use nutri grain elevenses. Probably not perfect but they have reasonable mix of fast and slow burning sugars and are easy on the stomach, palate and pocket. They're about 180kcal I think.

I would usually have about half a bar an hour while riding at low intensity and ramp that up to a full bar every 40 mins or as much as I can be bothered to eat if I was planning of going really far or going really fast. That will vary hugely from person to person though. I can do 100km at easy endurance pace with little or nothing to eat or I can totally empty the tank with 60 mins of max effort. You have to get to know your own needs as to what you burn and what your body can absorb (the faster you go the slower less your body will devote to digestion/absorption).

You should never allow yourself to become so hungry that you can't really control what you eat next - if that's what's happening at the end of your spins 60km then you've not eaten enough for the exertion level you're going at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you want to lose weight you need to get used to feeling hungry, it is a pretty natural part of the process. Particularly going to bed hungry. Embrace it- if you are going to bed hungry you are doing it right.

If you are feeling "fecking starving" try to get used to just eating a small amount to satiate this, eat slowly, and don't eat any more.

Diet is much more important than exercise in losing weight. It is a myth that you can just eat what you want when exercising (unless doing a ridicoulous amount of exercise, when then, yes, you can.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

60K spin is probably in the region of 1500 calories or more, depending on your bodyweight. You can still eat a fair amount on those days and still shed fat. I find it quite easy to make a calorie deficit for the day when I'm commuting both ways (66K round trip).

3KG overweight isn't a huge amount. Even at only a half kilo / a pound a week (which would involve basically zero hunger) you're only looking at 6 weeks to shift it.

edit: I'm with blorg on the going to bed hungry bit, but it doesn't work for everyone. The way I look at it is I'd rather be hungry when I'm asleep than hungry when I'm awake. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

blorg wrote: »
    If you want to lose weight you need to get used to feeling hungry, it is a pretty natural part of the process. Particularly going to bed hungry. Embrace it- if you are going to bed hungry you are doing it right.

If you are feeling "fecking starving" try to get used to just eating a small amount to satiate this, eat slowly, and don't eat any more.

Diet is much more important than exercise in losing weight. It is a myth that you can just eat what you want when exercising (unless doing a ridicoulous amount of exercise, when then, yes, you can.)

i'd love to see the amount of food you're putting away these days!

G rock wrote: »
    i'd love to see the amount of food you're putting away these days!
    I have actually put on a LOT of weight (7-9kg) as I am not doing as much riding as I used do at home but am eating as normal- I have done only around 10,000km over the last 12 months touring versus 20,000km/year at home. The food in India and China has been fantabulous, and I am paying for it. It is all around the belly. I need it gone by the time I get to Australia and start my professional surfing career.

Seriously, you need to watch your diet even if doing big mileage. When I was racing, doing multiple sportives and 300km in Wicklow every weekend, I ate what I liked and looked anorexic to my mother. But the point is, you really need to be doing crazy mileage consistently to just eat what you want. At home I don't think I had longer than two or three days off the bike in three years while here I am taking breaks farting about for two or three weeks in a place at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

I have actually put on a LOT of weight............... The food in India and China has been fantabulous, and I am paying for it. It is all around the belly. I need it gone by the time I get to Australia and start my professional surfing career.

Diet now!! That bit of extra blubber will make you look even more seal-like & appetising to hungry sharks :eek:

For the last month my diet was mostly noodle soup. In China this was utterly utterly delicious beyond the realm of how delicious you might think noodle soup could possibly be. They put something into it that makes it really addictive, I would eat it for breakfast, luinch (#1 and #2) and dinner for weeks on end. I suspected it was MSG but it may also be related the chilli sauce, the soups with the red were the moreish ones. In Vietnam so far it has been "fine", even "refined" in places but considerably less addictive.

176949.JPG

EDIT: I am getting hungry even looking at that, time to go to bed! Pho in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

For the last month my diet was mostly noodle soup. In China this was utterly utterly delicious beyond the realm of how delicious you might think noodle soup could possibly be. They put something into it that makes it really addictive, I would eat it for breakfast, luinch (#1 and #2) and dinner for weeks on end. I suspected it was MSG but it may also be related the chilli sauce, the soups with the red were the moreish ones. In Vietnam so far it has been "fine", even "refined" in places but considerably less addictive.

176949.JPG

Yum!

Anyone got a good recipe? I've tried in the past but can never get near the taste of the real deal.

This probably won't help the original poster.....

176949.JPG

EDIT: I am getting hungry even looking at that, time to go to bed! Pho in the morning.

Jasus that's only great 60k today got home eating very little and BAM that pic yes you are right chak

• Advertisement

Jasus that's only great 60k today got home eating very little and BAM that pic
    Embrace the hunger and look forward to breakfast :) Seriously, it is what you need to do. Me too. I just keep getting distracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

chakattack wrote: »
    Anyone got a good recipe? I've tried in the past but can never get near the taste of the real deal.

For the simplest Chinese food that comes close in to what I had in China...

- Stir fry some meat and veg, ideally including garlic shoots. Dog optional.
    - Add a mix of chili bean sauce, spicy bean sauce and fermented black beans, whole or paste (not sauce).
    - Reduce until sticky.
    - Add a few splashes of rich soy sauce and some mixed pickled veg.
    - For extra zing add chili oil to taste.
    - Serve with sticky rice.

It works because it's dry. Anglo/Irish Chinese stir frys are usually far too wet.

Avoid human contact after eating.

FFS I am Embracing here

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Interesting Thread – I was going to start one on using fat as an energy source and what the best way train your body to harness your fat reserves.

In previous life I would train without eating a breakfast never really suffered from serious hunger knocks and never become ill. Then after a number of years of inactivity I would need to eat almost immediately prior to beginning exercise and immediately after exercise and would still regular get bouts of hunger knock.

During the past week I have stopped eating almost immediately before training to avoid using that food as a fuel for exercise, I now eat at least two hours before training and then continue easting as normal after exercise. Is this the best way to train my body to use its fat reserves for fuel? I also read an article that low intensity exercise first thing in the morning is an excellent method to train your body at using fat reserves for fuel. Just to clarify I understand that carbohydrates and fat are both used during exercise just at different overall percentages of the total energy used. It seems mazing that professional cyclist and runners can have enormous training loads while not eating an “enormous” amount of food.

I will try and dig out the internet article I have been reading and post a link

SWL wrote: »
    Interesting Thread – I was going to start one on using fat as an energy source and what the best way train your body to harness your fat reserves.

In previous life I would train without eating a breakfast never really suffered from serious hunger knocks and never become ill. Then after a number of years of inactivity I would need to eat almost immediately prior to beginning exercise and immediately after exercise and would still regular get bouts of hunger knock.

During the past week I have stopped eating almost immediately before training to avoid using that food as a fuel for exercise, I now eat at least two hours before training and then continue easting as normal after exercise. Is this the best way to train my body to use its fat reserves for fuel? I also read an article that low intensity exercise first thing in the morning is an excellent method to train your body at using fat reserves for fuel. Just to clarify I understand that carbohydrates and fat are both used during exercise just at different overall percentages of the total energy used. It seems mazing that professional cyclist and runners can have enormous training loads while not eating an “enormous” amount of food.

I will try and dig out the internet article I have been reading and post a link

If you could that would be great :D

If you could that would be great :D

Here it is one of many i have been reading
    http://www.marathon-training-program.com/fat-fuel.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

Lumen wrote: »
    Avoid human contact after eating.

LOL :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

have large glass of (low fat) milk after immediately after coming in. It's a little like a recovery drink but with less sugar. With that in me, I'd go and shower etc. and hopefully be able to make better choices about what to eat next than the epic binge I'd been planning for the last 20km of the spin.

Many times I also starve after my commute... Have to try this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've lost a few kg in the past few months without going hungry. It's all about eating the right types of food and cutting out the fatty sugary junk. In fact, letting oneself go hungry is probably a bad idea as you're far more likely to give in and reach for high energy foods (ie: sugary fatty foods) when your will power breaks.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    I've lost a few kg in the past few months without going hungry. It's all about eating the right types of food and cutting out the fatty sugary junk. In fact, letting oneself go hungry is probably a bad idea as you're far more likely to give in and reach for high energy foods (ie: sugary fatty foods) when your will power breaks.

Sound,s great what did you eat :D

Here it is one of many i have been reading
    http://www.marathon-training-program.com/fat-fuel.html

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mak78

It seems mazing that professional cyclist and runners can have enormous training loads while not eating an “enormous” amount of food.

Have you seen what a professional eats on daily basis? Granted this is during a TDF stage day but I'm sure long training days would be similar

Andy Schlecks daily food intake on TDF

mak78 wrote: »
    Have you seen what a professional eats on daily basis? Granted this is during a TDF stage day but I'm sure long training days would be similar

Where does he get time to eat all that it look,s huge

Its a huge amount alright ! And he's skinny as a rake ..

I reckon all the gels, most of the fruit, and sandwich of some sort are eaten while on the bike, leaving the rest to be eaten at breakfast & dinner.

Interesting to see the small amounts of fats - avocado,cheese and the nuts being the main fat sources I see. I would think this is because during the race days the main aim of the diet would be to replace muscle glycogen stores depleted each day - using primarily carbohydrate sources. Its likely that the diet during off season or training periods would be somewhat higher fat/carb ratio to help develop with fat burning efficiency for endurance (as mentioned in the marathon training article in SWLs previous post).

That is not a lot of food imho especially for an elite cyclist participating in the tour. I expected the size of the daily intake to be much larger. Have you seen what Michael Phelps has for breakfast?
    juan antonio fleche burned 7k calories on one day in the tour, that photo would just about over that, also nutrients and proteins are required for recovery. So I still believe that pro cyclists and marathoner s runners have very very efficient systems. Partially generic, partially trained. I know a cyclist who can cycle up to 160km on a banana and water and feel completely fine and I would guess there are plenty on boards who could do the same.

• Advertisement

That is not a lot of food imho especially for an elite cyclist participating in the tour. I expected the size of the daily intake to be much larger. Have you seen what Michael Phelps has for breakfast?
    juan antonio fleche burned 7k calories on one day in the tour, that photo would just about over that, also nutrients and proteins are required for recovery. So I still believe that pro cyclists and marathoner s runners have very very efficient systems. Partially generic, partially trained. I know a cyclist who can cycle up to 160km on a banana and water and feel completely fine and I would guess there are plenty on boards who could do the same.
    What size is the banana :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So I still believe that pro cyclists and marathoner s runners have very very efficient systems. Partially generic, partially trained. I know a cyclist who can cycle up to 160km on a banana and water and feel completely fine and I would guess there are plenty on boards who could do the same.

"very very efficient systems"?

Aerobically trained athletes spare carbohydrate (glycogen) stores by burning fat more effectively, but they still use more calories overall due to cycling at faster speed, so the daily calorie budget is still going to be higher for a given time or distance on the bike.

The actual difference in metabolic/mechanical efficiency (i.e. watts produced per calorie burned) between a normal cyclist and a pro is very small.

I know a cyclist who can cycle up to 160km on a banana and water and feel completely fine and I would guess there are plenty on boards who could do the same.

I'm sure it can be done, and i'm sure there are plenty who do it ... but I don't think that you'd find any nutritionists or coaches who would recommend doing 160km rides on just a banana for energy.

Lumen wrote: »
    "very very efficient systems"?

Aerobically trained athletes spare carbohydrate (glycogen) stores by burning fat more effectively, but they still use more calories overall due to cycling at faster speed, so the daily calorie budget is still going to be higher for a given time or distance on the bike.

The actual difference in metabolic/mechanical efficiency (i.e. watts produced per calorie burned) between a normal cyclist and a pro is very small.

Agreed - That is what I am saying. The total numbers of calories used will not change but the percentage of fat versus carbohydrate will alter given the intensity

I'm sure it can be done, and i'm sure there are plenty who do it ... but I don't think that you'd find any nutritionists or coaches who would recommend doing 160km rides on just a banana for energy.

Agree completely - this person was a Olympic athletic (not a cyclist) who clearly had done something right in training or born with great genes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Interesting to see the small amounts of fats - avocado,cheese and the nuts being the main fat sources I see.

Looks like a 500ml bottle of olive oil in the picture to me...

That would be the main fat source I'd reckon.

I'd say they hardly have whole bottle of olive oil each in fairness. At least I hope not. Probably just there in order to illustrate that they have some olive oil.

Advertisement