Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Didnt spot that! Makes sense though, Ice Cream Sandwich is meant to be the OS for both phones and mobiles. Must be a Nexus branded tablet then too, wouldn't make sense to launch a nexus branded phone and a Samsung branded tablet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It'll probably be a huge let down and just be a rehashed version of the last Nexus phone, oh no wait, that's Apple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

That song in the ad is really catchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Curvey screen, inductive charging, credit card type payment system built in, matching tablet, new improved OS and better integration of existing voice control system...

It seems Samsung are the innovators now...

I'm a HTC fanboy, but if this tablet does exist it will be difficult to ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

whats the big deal with this "siri" assistant on phone btw? Android have a similar product yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

whats the big deal with this "siri" assistant on phone btw? Android have a similar product yet?

Its Voice Search. Googles had their own since last year and the GS2 has Vlingo pre-installed (just double click your home button)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's hard to wreck a nice beach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Siri as a app existed already for any iPhone but it has now been removed from the app store and upgraded to a new version that only the 4S can use. It's made by a company that Apple have now bought so you won't see a Siri app for Android.

Seems more gimmicky than anything else. Like voice activated calling or google searching but with more features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

nexusprime.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What's the idea with the curved screen? Looks like something I'd hate.

Chet T16 wrote: »
    nexusprime.png
    My understanding is that the three pin connector is actually for induction charging

Is there going to be some sort of corrective glass to "fix" the curve of an image. Otherwise everything will look shorter than it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

A phone with Google's Icescream OS, top of the line Samsung tech and spec and HTC build quality = win,win and win.

So two out of 3 won't be bad but please Samsung, please don't go cheap on the build quality this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

What's the idea with the curved screen? Looks like something I'd hate.

If you leave the phone down on a table or wherever, facedown then the screen wont come in contact with the table. I think thats it anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And so it curves with your face a bit too

seanybiker wrote: »
    If you leave the phone down on a table or wherever, facedown then the screen wont come in contact with the table. I think thats it anyways.
    Mega Chin wrote: »
    And so it curves with your face a bit too

An innovation by HTC, nice to see how it can be brought forward with new technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Due a free upgrade soon.

in lay mans terms, would this be a better phone than sgs2?

Upgrade due early Nov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Yes this will be better. This will be the the first of the "new" batch of phones that will start arriving with the latest version of Android.

I am holding out for either this or something else from the new range.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Due a free upgrade soon.

Upgrade due early Nov.

Should be, it has Android 3.5 on it for a start. I'd imagine a 1.5Ghz dual core cpu at least. That already put's it ahead of the standard SGS2 before the 1.5Ghz SGS2 with the bigger screen is released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Due a free upgrade soon.

Upgrade due early Nov.

I'm the same, have an upgrade coming end of Nov. Just hope Vodafone have it for sale sharpish.
    I'm not sure will it be better that the sgs2 but it will be the first ICS phone and will be the first with any updates.

I cant wait to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This is supposed to be 4.5 inch+ right? Seems like it's hitting the point of too big tbh...

Due a free upgrade soon.

Upgrade due early Nov.

You would certainly imagine so. If anything looks like a bigger step up than the SGS1 to Nexus S was, so I'd be expecting the vanilla version of Ice Cream Sandwich, and probably some other innovations. Put it this way, now is about as late as you should be buying a SGS2 or a Sensation IMHO (at least if you're a Sim Free buyer), The next big Androids aren't long away, the Nexus Prime being the first, and the SGS3 a couple of months later.. If Samsung are aiming for the same kinda time frame between successive device availability, the SGS3 should be available to buy in February 2012, 10 months on from when the SGS2 was available to buy

keane2097 wrote: »
    This is supposed to be 4.5 inch+ right? Seems like it's hitting the point of too big tbh...

Yeah I agree. 4.3" is already too big imo. If they released a 4" SGS2, I'd swap in a second, it would be perfect. 4.5" screens are tablet territory.

Yeah I agree. 4.3" is already too big imo. If they released a 4" SGS2, I'd swap in a second, it would be perfect. 4.5" screens are tablet territory.
    And only getting bigger it would seem, HTC have a new Window Phone 7 handset, the Titan, and it has a 4.7" screen! This is starting to get ridiculous. 4.0" is the sweet spot i think too.. And even that was considered to be massive when the SGS1 was released..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Should be, it has Android 3.5 on it for a start. I'd imagine a 1.5Ghz dual core cpu at least. That already put's it ahead of the standard SGS2 before the 1.5Ghz SGS2 with the bigger screen is released.

Is Ice Cream Sandwich not Android 4.0?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I am due an upgrade now (have an iPhone 3GS at the moment).

Obviously for me the Iphone 4S is on the list of candidates for the upgrade, but I am not particularly excited about the 4S to be honest and the Nexus Prime will be the one to grab my most attention.

Never been with Android before so not sure what to expect in a cross over. I have a lot music and listen to it constantly (including a large number of iTunes purchases) - I recently got a new radio in the car that has a usb connection and is iPod "Friendly" it's great having plugging the iphone into it and been able to search and cycle through tracks and playlists on the radio itself (including the song/artist name being displayed on the screen)

This is one thing that would hold me back switching to Android - does anyone know if Android phones (or software) can support the same level of connection to car radios? cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There are rumours that it's only the screen size which has increased, but not the phone size, which is basically the same size as the Nexus S. Essentially the front of the phone will be all screen

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I listen to music on my Desire S over bluetooth in the car & it uses little battery I have also plugged it in via USB & it has worked exactly the same as my iPod...

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    There are rumours that it's only the screen size which has increased, but not the phone size, which is basically the same size as the Nexus S. Essentially the front of the phone will be all screen

But in that case they'd have to be really altering the aspect ratio, which i doubt they'd do, it would look out of proportion

Zonda999 wrote: »
    But in that case they'd have to be really altering the aspect ratio, which i doubt they'd do, it would look out of proportion

It looks like tey are introducing curved screens - which can potentially wrap around the sides/top and bottom of the handset... just wait & see what arrives next week

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Well they probably will be altering the aspect ratio, rumour is 1280x720, so 16:9 instead of the Nexus S's 5:3.

Nexus S screen dimensions were 3.43x2.06 (inches). The phone itself was 4.88x2.48.

If the Prime is 4.5" diagonal, at 1280x720, the screen dimensions would be 3.9x2.2, which would fit inside the Nexus S form factor (just)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I think i'll be getting this phone.

I loved my Nexus One and have had bad look with any phones since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Uriel. wrote: »
    This is one thing that would hold me back switching to Android - does anyone know if Android phones (or software) can support the same level of connection to car radios? cheers

I have a Sony radio, works with my iPod touch or my girlfriend's iPhone 3GS. It does not work with my android phone, although if I play with it a bit it might (i'll test straight after work and let people know...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

dulpit wrote: »
    I have a Sony radio, works with my iPod touch or my girlfriend's iPhone 3GS. It does not work with my android phone, although if I play with it a bit it might (i'll test straight after work and let people know...)

Cool, cheers.

Mine's a pioneer

This one to be exact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Uriel. wrote: »
    Cool, cheers.

Mine's a pioneer

This one to be exact

I have a similar set-up and can either connect my phone through Bluetooth or just plug my usb cable directly into the phone. I usually prefer connecting it through usb as it also charges the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Final specs as leaked (or guessed)

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
    9mm thin
    4.65-inch 1280 x 720-pixel Super AMOLED HD with curved glass
    TI OMAP 4460 dual-core Cortex A9 processor clocked at 1.2GHz
    1GB of RAM
    32GB of built-in storage
    5-megapixel camera on the back, 1.3-megapixel in the front
    1080p HD video capture support
    LTE/HSPA depending on carrier
    Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
    NFC
    1,750 mAh battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

not impressed with the 5mp camera on the back. would rather see 8mp.

also, only 1.2GHz dual core!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Yeah those seem a bit low alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

is the a9 chip 4 better than an a5?

• Advertisement

MiCr0 wrote: »
    is the a9 chip 4 better than an a5?
    Wrong question. The A5 is a "system on a chip", it actually contains a Cortex A9 processor inside it. The actual comparison would be between the A5 and the TI OMAP 4460:

A5
    Processor: Cortex A9 1GHz dual-core
    GPU: PowerVR SGX543MP2

OMAP 4460
    Processor: Cortex A9 1.5GHz dual-core
    GPU: PowerVR SGX540

If the Prime specs mentioned above are true, then it will have a significantly faster CPU, but the iPhone's GPU will be much better. It's a dual-core one that's more than a year newer than the Prime's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

^ Highly unlikely to be the final specs, it'll have an 8 megapixel camera minimum I'd imagine.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Would be 2 big phone launches in a week that have underwhelmed if those specs are correct.

I'd be skeptical enough about those specs to be brutally honest, especially about 32gb of storage being the standard, for most people 16gb is just fine, i would have thought anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

I don't see the reasoning of a 5
    mp camera on there prime..... If thats indeed the case. 8mp is the standard going forward surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

More rumoured specs
    Rumors on the Galaxy Nexus are sure to keep pumping along, and we’ve got some more for you. It seems GSMArena is reporting the specs leaked earlier today are incorrect. According to the tipster from inside Google, the new Nexus will in fact be shipping with Samsung’s own processor clocking in at 1.5GHz, which is probably an Exynos. There will also be a dual-core GPU from Imagination that may be the PowerVR SGX543MP2 which is the same GPU that’s in the iPad 2. Instead of the 5-MP camera that was reported earlier, the new report says it will have an 8-MP, full 1080p video recording with an improved sensor that wasn’t elaborated on. The battery should also be a 2050mAh instead of an 1,750mAh. This continues to keep sounding more and more amazing! Next Tuesday can’t come quick enough and Talk Android will be there live at the event so stay tuned! What do you all think of these rumors so far?

I doubt any one has a clue, well anyone who is likely to talk anyway

The 1.5Ghz cpu sounds about right rather than the earlier specified 1.2Ghz.
    Samsung are putting the 1.5Ghz cpus into the new larger SGS2 models that's due in the States very soon so it would make sense for the latest Android flagship model from Sammy to have that spec too.

Everything so far sounds great except for the screen size which I think is going to stop me buying this and the only thing at that. I am fearful of just how big the top end Android model screens are going to get. I'm not willing to go beyond 4.3" and I'm not very happy at that size as it is.

Stuff ICS and all the latest specs into the frame of the SGS1 and we are talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

The 1.5Ghz cpu sounds about right rather than the earlier specified 1.2Ghz.
    Samsung are putting the 1.5Ghz cpus into the new larger SGS2 models that's due in the States very soon so it would make sense for the latest Android flagship model from Sammy to have that spec too.

The first "leak" seemed to be a worst case scenario, where as the second "leak" seems to be the best we could hope for, I'd say they were "leaked" by people with different agendas, in reality it will probably be somewhere in between. In particular the battery in the second is ridiculous, there is no need for them to go that big, it blows every other phones battery out of the water, that is generally not how technology is released, it makes far more sense to increment it

Don't know about the bat specs. There is an official Sammy 2000mah bat for the SGS2, it needs a new back plate cover with it installed but it makes the camera flush with the new cover. The phone is still slim enough with it installed. The 3500mah jobbies are just silly though. From the screen shots of how thin this Nexus is though combined with the greater area of the 4.5" screen they may have shoe horned a 2000mah bat in there.

Battery tech has to really advance though for smartphones to shine. Alot of R&D will be needed there alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

looking forward to this

• Advertisement
Advertisement