Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm surprised (and disappointed) to hear that it is being manufactured by Samsung given that Google recently purchaced Motorolas manufacturing division and Samsungs lack of reliability! The amount of problems I've heard about the Nexus S, by comparison to none I've heard about the Nexus 1 is amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm surprised (and disappointed) to hear that it is being manufactured by Samsung given that Google recently purchaced Motorolas manufacturing division and Samsungs lack of reliability! The amount of problems I've heard about the Nexus S, by comparison to none I've heard about the Nexus 1 is amazing!

I can't see why you would be surprised. As you say, Google RECENTLY bought Moto's mobile division. Recently. The contracts, prototypes and manufacturing of the finished design would have been started before Google bought Moto. Considering the state Moto were in prior to the purchase (and I don't think anything has changed, google wanted the patents rather than their phones) it would have been a surprise if Moto were making this generation nexus. Good chance they will make the next, but not in the least bit surprising that they are not making this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Motorola was a patent purchase only, I would have been shocked to see a Motorola Nexus device and highly doubt we'll see one anytime soon, Samsung have proven to make the best devices so far, the SGS II is a huge front runner so it makes sense to go with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Galaxy Nexus and Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) appear on video? http://bit.ly/nJjxIJ

Looks very nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I actually love the menu transitions!
    And the phone looks pretty humpable too.
    fapfapfapfap.png

/looks at galaxy s2
    ...........hmmmmmmmm

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Looks very nice

It's a pity it wont be locked down and will be ruined by the likes of TouchWiz and Sense :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

draffodx wrote: »
    It's a pity it wont be locked down and will be ruined by the likes of TouchWiz and Sense :(
    The main reason why I really want the Prime/Galaxy Nexus

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Remember that Samsung were designing this and timing the launch with the iPhone5 in mind. In the end Apple in effect delayed the iPhone5 for a year and only issued a glorified bug fix of the iPhone4 but Samsung won't have known that. Therefore I would tend to think they will be at the upper end of expectations (e.g. 8mp rather than 5mp) because they will have been aiming high. Samsung, Sony, HTC, Nokia etc have been gifted a year to finally catch and overtake Apple so I would be quite excited about what we will see in the Android world in the next 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Awesome, was gonna upgrade from my Desire.. but now I think ill hold off and get this :D

• Advertisement

Everything so far sounds great except for the screen size which I think is going to stop me buying this and the only thing at that. I am fearful of just how big the top end Android model screens are going to get. I'm not willing to go beyond 4.3" and I'm not very happy at that size as it is.

Stuff ICS and all the latest specs into the frame of the SGS1 and we are talking.
    The screen size seems to be putting a lot of people off, but I really don't think it's going to make that much of a difference to the size of the phone. By all accounts, the aspect ratio is changing fairly dramatically from 5:3 (Nexus S, SGS, SGS2) to 16:9.

With a 4.65" screen, that means the screen would be 4.05*2.28 inches. By comparison, the SGS2 screen was 3.66*2.19 inches. So even though the height of the screen is increasing by more than a centimetre, the width is increasing by only 2 millimetres

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

28064212 wrote: »
    The screen size seems to be putting a lot of people off, but I really don't think it's going to make that much of a difference to the size of the phone. By all accounts, the aspect ratio is changing fairly dramatically from 5:3 (Nexus S, SGS, SGS2) to 16:9.

With a 4.65" screen, that means the screen would be 4.05*2.28 inches. By comparison, the SGS2 screen was 3.66*2.19 inches. So even though the height of the screen is increasing by more than a centimetre, the width is increasing by only 2 millimetres

It's not the size of the screen, it's the size of the handset!

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's not the size of the screen, it's the size of the handset!
    Yes, that's pretty much the point of what I'm saying. People see an increase in screen size from the Nexus S 4" to the rumoured 4.65" and think the handset must be much bigger. Whereas in reality, the Prime's rumoured screen could still fit inside the boundaries of the Nexus S dimensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

This looks amazing! I was planning on leaving Android in favour WP7 but this has made me think again. I can only imagine the sim-free price of this phone will be astronomical though!? i.e. €600+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

WP7 is an amazing OS in fairness, if it gains enough traction in the market to the point where I would feel sure it's not going to be abandoned I'd have no hesitation whatsoever in switching to it.

It's way ahead of iOS and Android imo.

WP7 is an amazing OS in fairness, if it gains enough traction in the market to the point where I would feel sure it's not going to be abandoned I'd have no hesitation whatsoever in switching to it.

I found it really strange and just couldnt get used to it. Wouldnt call it a bad OS but its well behind iOS and Android to me

• Advertisement

Yeah thats pretty much why I want to try it out. Sick of the fragmentation and waiting for months for manufacturers to update their crappy custom UI's every time an update comes through.

Yeah thats pretty much why I want to try it out. Sick of the fragmentation and waiting for months for manufacturers to update their crappy custom UI's every time an update comes through.

If you buy a Nexus device you wont have those issue's though. :confused:

If you buy a Nexus device you wont have those issue's though. :confused:

Hence my first post where I said the Nexus Prime is tempting me not to switch to WP7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Arse! :mad:
    Samsung and Google decide to postpone the new product announcement at CTIA Fall. We agree that it is just not the right time to announce a new product. New date and venue will be shortly announced.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/07/samsung-and-google-postpone-ice-cream-sandwich-and-galaxy-nexus/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

JohnK wrote: »

Mark of respect for Steve Jobs? Don't don't stick the knife into his bug fixed iPhone4 by launching their iPhone5 killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

touts wrote: »
    Mark of respect for Steve Jobs? Don't don't stick the knife into his bug fixed iPhone4 by launching their iPhone5 killer.

Unlikely.

Gotta be a problem with ice cream sandwich. Or maybe they've only discovered some sort of hardware defect?

quad_red wrote: »
    Unlikely.

Gotta be a problem with ice cream sandwich. Or maybe they've only discovered some sort of hardware defect?

Wouldnt surprise me if it was because of Jobs death. especially with the wording of that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Wouldnt surprise me if it was because of Jobs death. especially with the wording of that statement.

I was thinking they may get some bad press off releasing an iPhone killer a week after Jobs' death.

Prime is rumoured for a November release though, so unless they push back the release, the unveiling will still need to happen soon enough. Maybe they will just do a softer launch, rather than a massive event (I don't remember massive events for Nexus or Nexus S)

touts wrote: »
    Mark of respect for Steve Jobs?
    Unlikely.
    Very likely. The top-level guys in Google are known to be big fans of Jobs. I have quite a few of them in my Google+ circles and they all had significant tribute posts to Jobs when he died. I'm not sure when his funeral is, but it is likely to be in or around that date
    Extremely unlikey. The testing that goes into a product like this before a release date is even considered is massive

Possibly delayed as they don't have the iPhone 5 to deal with, so either delay it to fix some final issues/bugs or to squeeze more time out of current devices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Possibly delayed as they don't have the iPhone 5 to deal with, so either delay it to fix some final issues/bugs or to squeeze more time out of current devices?

Its believed the delay is over the death of Steve Jobs and release of iOS 5 next Tuesday.
    Better to wait a week or 2 to have this launch in the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Pics:
    http://imgur.com/a/WvVk3

Video:

The Settings UI has been totally redesigned & looks like a data counter like "3G Watchdog" is built in.

Also doubtful. Samsung posted their teaser video ("Something Big is coming") on Oct 4th, the day of the iPhone release. If they really had a backup plan for delaying the release based on the iPhone being disappointing, they would have waited the extra few hours.

Thinking about it more, there's no way do Google or Samsung push the announcement for bugfixes (Samsung in particular, it means it won't be announced at their big event of the year). Even if there were issues, they would push the release date, not the announcement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's delayed because of Jobs Funeral, no doubt about it, they didn't feel comfortable having it on the same day or within a day or so.

Push the announcement a week or two, keep the release date the same, no harm done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Inquitus wrote: »
    It's delayed because of Jobs Funeral, no doubt about it, they didn't feel comfortable having it on the same day or within a day or so.

Push the announcement a week or two, keep the release date the same, no harm done.

And they come out looking quite good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

the right decision given the circumstances tbh

ongarite wrote: »
    Screenshots & video of Prime

Must say the screen doesn't look like its 4.65"?

Must say the screen doesn't look like its 4.65"?
    I think it is. AFAICS, the return, home and menu buttons are all part of the screen. You can see this in the video at the end when he locks it and when he switches to the camera, and in this screenshot you can see the buttons on-screen. Virtually the entire front of the phone is part of the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

Does anyone have an idea when it'll be here? I know its probably gonna be in the US by early Oct/late Nov. How long does it usually take? because I'm due an upgrade on meteor in late Nov. Fingers Crossed they'll stock it :)
    PS: here's confirmation of why they delayed the announcement: http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/07/samsung-google-postpone-galaxy-nexus-launch/

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Murphdog94 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea when it'll be here? I know its probably gonna be in the US by early Oct/late Nov. How long does it usually take? because I'm due an upgrade on meteor in late Nov. Fingers Crossed they'll stock it :)
    PS: here's confirmation of why they delayed the announcement: http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/07/samsung-google-postpone-galaxy-nexus-launch/

I don't think they stocked either of the other Nexus phones, so I doubt they'll stock this one either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Does anyone have an idea when it'll be here? I know its probably gonna be in the US by early Oct/late Nov.
    I'm quite sure the US won't have it by early October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Yeah, but Meteor will have to figure out at some stage that if they want to be taken seriously as a network, relative to Vodafone and o2 anyway, they have to carry all the major phone releases like this

As for the release, it wont have changed because of this, just the announcement surely..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

I'm due for an upgrade now but waiting to see how this pans out. Surprised that it might have a 5mp camera, thought it might be more and really don't want it to have a dedicated Google+ button.

I have a San Fran running Swedish Spring at the mo and its a great little phone, I'm not mad about how physically big phones are getting though.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm quite sure the US won't have it by early October.

Sorry I meant late October or early November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Yeah, but Meteor will have to figure out at some stage that if they want to be taken seriously as a network, relative to Vodafone and o2 anyway, they have to carry all the major phone releases like this

As for the release, it wont have changed because of this, just the announcement surely..
    Meteor release very good phones and often in good time. The reason they don't get some releases is due to the fact that the huge multinationals such as O2 and Vodafone use their massive purchasing power to demand exclusives and block others from receiving them. At least Meteor and eMobile keep their jobs and revenues in the country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

I hope they have learned from some of the mistakes of the last nexus s. the speaker was at the back of the phone so if you had an alarm set it was somewhat muted. you'd had to have it turned over face down in order to achieve the full volume.

hopefully they've learned!

I'm due for an upgrade now but waiting to see how this pans out. Surprised that it might have a 5mp camera, thought it might be more and really don't want it to have a dedicated Google+ button.

I have a San Fran running Swedish Spring at the mo and its a great little phone, I'm not mad about how physically big phones are getting though.

Nothing is confirmed at the moment so it may still have an 8mp camera. As for a dedicated google plus button? Not gonna happen, especially since the buttons are on screen!

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Meteor release very good phones and often in good time. The reason they don't get some releases is due to the fact that the huge multinationals such as O2 and Vodafone use their massive purchasing power to demand exclusives and block others from receiving them. At least Meteor and eMobile keep their jobs and revenues in the country...

They have secured the last 2 major releases in fairness, in the HTC sensation and the GSII. And with nothing major coming out other than this and the 4s I think they may stock it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_google_galaxy_nexus_i9250-4219.php

I'd be disappointed if it is a 5mp camera, a camera isn't that big a deal on a phone for me, but for the money it'll cost I'd like to see it keeping up with its competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

They have secured the last 2 major releases in fairness, in the HTC sensation and the GSII. And with nothing major coming out other than this and the 4s I think they may stock it

They also had the Desire before the other networks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Really hoping Meteor will stock this as i'll be due an upgrade fairly soon after its release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Those photos are defo legit anyway :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nolimits wrote: »
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_google_galaxy_nexus_i9250-4219.php

I'd be disappointed if it is a 5mp camera, a camera isn't that big a deal on a phone for me, but for the money it'll cost I'd like to see it keeping up with its competition
    It all depends on what lens they put in front of the sensor, not how many megapixels it has. But a phone camera is always going to be rubbish, just by the nature of they way they are used and abused the lens will always be the main failing.

Looks like the announcement event has been rescheduled for 19th. 18th our time because its in Hong Kong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Looks like the announcement event has been rescheduled for 19th. 18th our time because its in Hong Kong.

I've read a few different dates that it might be rescheduled for but would be nice if this one is true.
    Read this yesterday

Samsung’s United Kingdom sales director Andrew Glass was on hand at the T3 gadget awards to accept the award for Phone of the Year on behalf on the Galaxy S II. While there, he let slip some fascinating information, confirming the Nexus Prime handset (and its much-argued name) and that the device would be “coming sooner than you think.” This lines up nicely with an announcement expected in the next 2-3 weeks.

Glass’ exact words were:
    You will have an announcement of the Nexus Prime very shortly and will be seeing it in shops sooner than you think.

So maybe the 19th is more realistic than the 27th or 3rd

• Advertisement
Advertisement